GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And that WOW is NOT a good thing! The wife and I took our first trip since getting the Acadia 4 months ago. We went about 300 miles with half being flat coastal land and half foothills and mountains. We averaged 19.5 mpg on the way up there driving about 75-80mph. I was a little disappointed in the numbers and was expecting better. The worst part for me was the transmission! This thing is constantly shifting gears and every time I would try and accelerate it would downshift. I felt like I never had enough power available when I needed unless it downshifted two gears. Driving through the mountains and trying to keep a constant speed was nearly impossible. Unless I punched it going up a hill, it would drop between 5-10mph.

For the trip back, I was pulling a trailer with a 4-wheeler on it. It was a fairly small trailer with a 700lb quad. The Acadia was constantly searching for gears and it was work trying to keep a constant speed. On the way home, going down the mountain, I averaged a whopping 14.6mpg.

Needless to say, I am not at all impressed with the Acadia and highway driving!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
3 fitty, Sounds like you should have purchased the Yukon, if you are a mountain person and or pulling in mountains/hills for those applications. Otherwise the small V-6 engine with all ready 4500 lbs, the transmission will be continually shifting on hills and mountains. You should of had a V-8 or get used to the shifting when required with a six and 6 speed. Maybe trade in for the Yukon?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
a. 75-80 mph really KILLS the mpg on the Acadia, I speak from experience. It does MUCH better at or under 65mph. I've been getting 21-22mpg just driving to/from work and around town every week. I'd imagine a road trip would be even greater.

b. Maybe you need to bring it in for that optional May 8th transmission update. It might be worth a try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
teetertotter:
I live on the coast and will occasionally go to the mountains and will rarely be towing. It sounds like you are telling me that the Acadia should only be used on flat ground! I would imagine I am not the only person that has driven through the mountains in an Acadia! I got the Acadia over the Tahoe because of size and gas mileage. Only to find out that I am getting the same/worse mileage than a Tahoe and don't have nearly the power.

Web Raven:
I don't think that I can drive 65mph, especially when the speed limit is 70. The check engine light just came on so the wife is taking it in this week and I will have her ask about the tranny flash.

I read up on the Acadia before we bought one and was really looking forward to it. I guess I won't be taking many trips with it.

On a very flat road, I set teh cruise at 75. When it slowed down to 73-74 it would downshift to get back up to 75. Does it really need to downshift to get 1-2 mph faster?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have you driven a Tahoe on the same trip? I'm curious what the gas mileage was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff95TA said:
Have you driven a Tahoe on the same trip? I'm curious what the gas mileage was.
My friend has an 08 and has made the trip several times and gets 18mpg easy running 80mph.

·
Registered
956 Posts
3fittyZ said:
And that WOW is NOT a good thing! The wife and I took our first trip since getting the Acadia 4 months ago. We went about 300 miles with half being flat coastal land and half foothills and mountains. We averaged 19.5 mpg on the way up there driving about 75-80mph. I was a little disappointed in the numbers and was expecting better. The worst part for me was the transmission! This thing is constantly shifting gears and every time I would try and accelerate it would downshift. I felt like I never had enough power available when I needed unless it downshifted two gears. Driving through the mountains and trying to keep a constant speed was nearly impossible. Unless I punched it going up a hill, it would drop between 5-10mph.

For the trip back, I was pulling a trailer with a 4-wheeler on it. It was a fairly small trailer with a 700lb quad. The Acadia was constantly searching for gears and it was work trying to keep a constant speed. On the way home, going down the mountain, I averaged a whopping 14.6mpg.

Needless to say, I am not at all impressed with the Acadia and highway driving!
Well first of all any vehicle the size and weight of the Acadia is not going to get 25 mpg at 75 to 80 mph. Secondly the two top gears are overdrive and if you are in hilly country, towing or have strong headwinds you should lock out one or two gears. As far as towing goes, I towed a 2000 pound trailer with my V8 Tundra and only got 12 mpg the whole trip and I was driving at 60 mph. My Tundra has 34 hp less and weighs about the same as my Acadia. I could not drive in overdrive most of the time and at times the trans would hunt between gears even when locked out of overdrive. I think most drivers expectations are unreasonable for a vehicle of this size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I now pay close attention to my tachometer as opposed to my speedometer, during highway-freeway driving. I try NEVER to go past 2200rpm, regardless of the topographical conditions. This usually means that I travel 60-65mph on flat areas (1700-1800rpm), anywhere from 42-55mph going uphill (1500-2000rpm, depending on steepness), and coasting (taking foot off accelerator) going downhill, until I need to give it the gas to maintain 60mph. This is due to the ridiculous price of gas nowadays. On one trip to Vegas, I was astonished to get 28.9mpg!!! This was done by your basic fill-up at the start of trip, and filling up at Vegas and doing hand-calc by dividing the travel miles by the amount of gallons needed to refill your tank. Who cares if almost everyone passes me up in the freeway nowadays? I now give less money to the bloody oil company, and most importantly less money to an Arab nation... [/color]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We took a short road trip to the Hill Country last week. It was about 400 miles round trip. My husband drove. Now I will say he usually drives a bit pokey, but this time he tried to stay at 75 and his MPG was about 19.5 for the trip. I have done the same drive, around the same speed and gotten around 22. I am not sure if it is because he is not used to the Acadia or not, but I found the difference highly surprising. It really solidifies what others have said about driving habits having alot to do with MPG.

By the way, I forgot to remind him about the tranny flash and we weren't even 30 minutes into the drive when he started telling me how much better he thought the Acadia drove.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We are in the midst of a big road trip with our 2008 AWD Acadia right now. We started in San Diego at about 680 feet above sea level, and at least one pass we went over was well over 7000 feet above sea level. We did a lot of up and down, so far. Our speeds have varied from 55 (not very much) to 77 (not very much) with the bulk right around 65 to 70 MPH. We're pretty much going the speed limit -- or the speed limit + 2 MPH (figuring we could get away with that, no problem). Our drive was from San Diego, to Temecula, across to Indio, to Palm Desert, to Needles. This leg we only got 16.4 MPG, but that included about 30 miles of around town driving before we left. This was a lot of the up and down hill part too. The next leg was from Needles to Las Vegas. We got around 20.1 MPG. This was almost all 70 MPH. From Las Vegas to Ely, NV we got 20.2 MPG. From Ely to Wells, NV we got our best so far: 23.8 MPG. From Wells to Boise, ID we ended up with only 20 MPG, but we didn't fill up right away. We did at least 30 or 40 miles of driving around Boise and Meridian before filling up. Tomorrow (later today) we're off to West Yellowstone, with a lot of driving around Yellowstone Park.

Look at the road ahead. A twisty descent into Palm Desert

Our baby on the roadside

Sometimes the road was very straight and flat (bug splats and all)

·
Registered
73 Posts
We took our Acadia on it's first road trip, about 1100 miles total. I live in flat country in western KS, but when I went back to the eastern part of the state thru the flint hills, I wasn't that impressed with how much this thing downshifted. Normally it would only go to 5th gear, but any small incline and it shifted. I guess I could've locked it out of 6th and ran in 5th, but I noticed the mileage would really suffer. I realize that 6th is double OD, but I think the little v-6 in the Acadia may be underpowered. On flat ground it ran fine and the ride of this thing is superb. I did get the towing package, but I don't know if it would haul too much. I'm concerened that the constant shifting from 6th to 5th may hurt the tranny? Any thoughts? I really don't want to run in 5th all the time because of the decrease in mileage. I'd say we got between 19-20 for most of the trip running 65-75. Thats not bad I guess. I'm sure under 65 it would probably get closer to the EPA estimated 24. Since we only have 2000 miles on the Acadia, do you think mileage will come up at all with more miles or is that about what to expect?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry, but your friend with the Tahoe is lucky if he's getting 15mpg doing 60. Don't believe all you hear unless you've seen it yourself. For some reason it makes some feel better to stretch the mpg I guess they feel they made a wiser decision than you. I have a friend with an avalanche that gets 25-28mpg all the time!(absolute bull). And yes I had a Tahoe and my acadia destroys its gas mileage, except when towing its only does 1 to 2 mpg better. I think the little 6 works a lot harder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:( :( :( :( :(

Took our first road trip over the 4th of July weekend. Across Pa and half of Ohio via the turnpike system. What an eyeopener. At 65-70 mph, we were only able to average 19.0 mpg. 2008 Acadia 4WD had about 1000 miles when we started. Transmission was shifting at every incline. This was very disturbing as the rpm's went from 1800 to 2700 at the drop of a dime and still not enough power. Car is now in dealership. Exhaust pipes are internally black. Like a rich running diesel locomotive.
But on a good note, the kids loved the dealer installed individual headrest entertainment system. :) :)

If I had to do it over, the V6 power anemic Acadia would not have been an option. :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
3fittyZ said:
teetertotter:
I live on the coast and will occasionally go to the mountains and will rarely be towing. It sounds like you are telling me that the Acadia should only be used on flat ground! I would imagine I am not the only person that has driven through the mountains in an Acadia! I got the Acadia over the Tahoe because of size and gas mileage. Only to find out that I am getting the same/worse mileage than a Tahoe and don't have nearly the power.

Web Raven:
I don't think that I can drive 65mph, especially when the speed limit is 70. The check engine light just came on so the wife is taking it in this week and I will have her ask about the tranny flash.

I read up on the Acadia before we bought one and was really looking forward to it. I guess I won't be taking many trips with it.

On a very flat road, I set teh cruise at 75. When it slowed down to 73-74 it would downshift to get back up to 75. Does it really need to downshift to get 1-2 mph faster?
What year and production date is your acadia?

Updating your signature would be great too.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3174.0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts