GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been itching to take an Acadia for "real" test drive for some time now. I currently have a 06 Envoy SLT but my family is growing faster than the vehicle can, unfortunately (2 in forard facing car seats and 1 in a booster). My Envoy was in for some warranty work and I was able to take a 08 Acadia SLE AWD overnight. I am offically in love...it has tons of room and it just plain looks great! My question, though, is to do with the tranny and the shifting. Now, I have read about this being an issue and how all it takes in a reprogramming of the computer and problem fixed. The first time I really noticed something different was when I stopped and then hit the resume on the cruise. It upshifted and then downshifted 3 times (rev up to 3000 and back to 2000 or so and then back up to 3000...) until I got back to my 105 kph speed. This is a used unit (19,000 km) and I was just curious if this was the tanny issue that earlier Acadias suffered from.
Other than that, all I need to do is sell my Envoy and I will then be a proud owner of an Acadia...I just have to be patient.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've found it to be pretty agressive when hitting resume. I guess I've come to like the extra growl at 5000 - 6000 RPM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm used to my Envoy doing that...reving up to 4500 or 5000 rpms until I get up to speed and then it shifts into OD. The Acadia I was driving kept on revving up a little and then downshifting and then a second later shifting up again and then down (never revved over 3500 rpm or so). It just seemed kinda weird to me.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
ajb1205 said:
The Acadia I was driving kept on revving up a little and then downshifting and then a second later shifting up again and then down (never revved over 3500 rpm or so). It just seemed kinda weird to me.
I can't say I've experienced that. If I have dropped 10 mph or so below cruise setting and I hit resume, it will definately use all it's rpms trying to catch up. When going up long grades in cruise control, it may occasionally drop into 3rd gear and rev to about 5000 before shifting.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My daily commute car is an economy car (Pontiac Vibe). It is a bit under powered to get great gas mileage. I use cruise control on it more often than I use my foot on the pedal. It will shift HARD going up grades and the little 4 cyl will be pushed as well. If I want to pass or pull out in traffic, I need to plan my move in advance and time pushing the gas to allow so momentum to build up. ;D

I think of the Acadia as an economy car too. It really is a bit under powered but I believe that is so it will get the better gas mileage, and for a 5000 lb beast, it does really good. The shifting and cruise control and ability to pass etc. of the Acadia, even though a bit under powered to get better mileage, in my opinion is great.

I think if you are used to a performance or high powered vehicle, the Acadia might be a disappointment, but in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the amount of power or the performance of the car. (especially after you get used to driving it and understand what to expect.)

If you are at all concerned, make the dealer let you do an extended test drive and the best option would be for them to let you have it overnight so you can drive it where you will normally go for a day.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with GAR I just came out of an '05 Envoy Denali w/ the V8 that would twist the speedo to the speed limiter in no time flat but like you I was in need of more space. You just get used to the character of a new vehicle, in my new Acadia I slow down and enjoy the ride. And...I get to work/home close to the same amount of time! I love the sound system and my daughter is fanatical about watching Nemo on the DVD system. Win/Win situation.

I found that the Acadia is already meeting the fuel economy of my previous Envoy (15.9mpg) at only 250 miles on the odometer. If I get a solid 18 over time, I will be content. I knew going into my new vehicle that I would be paying $4 per gallon by 4th of July this year, like most people have posted previously, we buy the Acadia primarily for the utility. If that was not your primary reason...you just may have bought the wrong vehicle for your needs.

Buy the Acadia and enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts