GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings all!
I wanted to introduce myself to the forum after having picked up a beautiful Crystal White 2017 Denali with only 20,000 mi. (33,000 KM). This is replacing my wife's '07 (1st Gen) SRX AWD V8. This smaller Acadia has a very similar footprint to the '07 SRX (which she absolutely loved). and it has a 10 cu.ft. larger carryting capacity We wanted a replacement for the SRX as we didn't want to press our luck further by driving to Florida and back in a 15 year-old vehicle from the Toronto area every year.
It was a toss-up between the Denali and a Ford Explorer Sport. My son has an Explorer but my wife thinks it's too big but I like the Spotr's acceleration. However I've always loved the handling of the SRX as it's basically a CTS station wagon. The clincher for me was driving a Denali with the optional Adaptive Suspension, The Explorer is very cumbersome in comparison!
It took a few months to find one with that suspension, but not going to Florida this year because of COVID, I had the time to look around. She really loves how it drives and is learning all the technology. The SRX didn't even have bluetooth! For me, the Denali's acceleration is not that far off from the Sport and is about the same as our V8 SRX. I hope it has close to the the same punch as the SRX had at 75 MPH on the highway!
My car is a 2010 Cadillac CTS-V with a manual transmission and take to lapping days every now and then. Prior to the V, I had a heavily modified (for the track) Camaro SS. I learned my lesson with that car as I bought the V new and it remains completely stock!
Anyway, we're looking forward to putting this COVID situation behind us and getting back to Florida at the end of this year. I'll need to put new tires on the Denali as it still has the original Michelin all season tires on it. Probably going to go with a set of Goodyear Cross Climate 2 All Weather tires as they're supposed to be good in snow and we've had our experiences with winter conditions both going to and coming back from Florida!

Cheers,

Elie

Denalierase.jpg

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Welcome aboard, looks sharp, and nice low KM's.
In theory the Acadia should be pretty much spot on for HP/torque/# as the SRX.
Acadia 315 HP, 271 FT LB's and a hair under 4000# = 12.7#/HP or 14.8#/FT LB torque
SRX 320 HP, 315 FT LB's and 4400# = 13.8#/HP or 14.0#/FT LB torque
I came from an '04 Z06 as my daily, and am honestly more than happy with the Acadia. Plenty of get up and go for both city and highway driving as I get old. :)
Enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Yeah, my gut feeling is that the Acadia has more jump than the SRX at lower RPM and off the line, but the SRX really came into its own when you needed strong acceleration at higher speeds. It seems to me (so far) that the V6 runs out of breath a little earlier than the V8. Regardless, not much to choose between the 2 in terms of acceleration, but it's no contest in the fuel economy department. The Acadia wins that one running away! (y) The SRX got roughly the same fuel economy as my CTS-V! :eek:

Cheers,

Elie

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Greetings all!
I wanted to introduce myself to the forum after having picked up a beautiful Crystal White 2017 Denali with only 20,000 mi. (33,000 KM). This is replacing my wife's '07 (1st Gen) SRX AWD V8. This smaller Acadia has a very similar footprint to the '07 SRX (which she absolutely loved). and it has a 10 cu.ft. larger carryting capacity We wanted a replacement for the SRX as we didn't want to press our luck further by driving to Florida and back in a 15 year-old vehicle from the Toronto area every year.
It was a toss-up between the Denali and a Ford Explorer Sport. My son has an Explorer but my wife thinks it's too big but I like the Spotr's acceleration. However I've always loved the handling of the SRX as it's basically a CTS station wagon. The clincher for me was driving a Denali with the optional Adaptive Suspension, The Explorer is very cumbersome in comparison!
It took a few months to find one with that suspension, but not going to Florida this year because of COVID, I had the time to look around. She really loves how it drives and is learning all the technology. The SRX didn't even have bluetooth! For me, the Denali's acceleration is not that far off from the Sport and is about the same as our V8 SRX. I hope it has close to the the same punch as the SRX had at 75 MPH on the highway!
My car is a 2010 Cadillac CTS-V with a manual transmission and take to lapping days every now and then. Prior to the V, I had a heavily modified (for the track) Camaro SS. I learned my lesson with that car as I bought the V new and it remains completely stock!
Anyway, we're looking forward to putting this COVID situation behind us and getting back to Florida at the end of this year. I'll need to put new tires on the Denali as it still has the original Michelin all season tires on it. Probably going to go with a set of Goodyear Cross Climate 2 All Weather tires as they're supposed to be good in snow and we've had our experiences with winter conditions both going to and coming back from Florida!

Cheers,

Elie

View attachment 10695
Have you tried any of the Driving Modes using the dial on the console? You may find one of those changes things to a more sporty response as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes!
Definitely a difference for me in the AWD sport mode - it seems that throttle response is quicker and the handling becomes noticeably crisper. I'd guess the better handling is a function of the optional suspension.

Cheers,

Elie

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes!
Definitely a difference for me in the AWD sport mode - it seems that throttle response is quicker and the handling becomes noticeably crisper. I'd guess the better handling is a function of the optional suspension.

Cheers,

Elie
Indeed . . the different driving modes are a fun and interesting feature to explore.

Happy Motoring !

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
I haven't had a good opportunity to try out 'sport mode' on the XT5, yet. Took a few trips to WV, but they were almost all interstate travel. I'm moving to the Mountain State next month and will get the chance to really put that mode through its paces (as well as the paddle shifters) later this spring. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes!

Cheers,

Elie
The better handling is for sure due to the optional suspension. Good that you were able to find one with those extra options you wished for. (y)

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
... It seems to me (so far) that the V6 runs out of breath a little earlier than the V8. Regardless, not much to choose between the 2 in terms of acceleration, but it's no contest in the fuel economy department. The Acadia wins that one running away! (y) The SRX got roughly the same fuel economy as my CTS-V! :eek:
Your SRX was set up for rear wheel drive with AWD as an option. That could be part of the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your XT5 Sport has the Active Damping Suspension, I think? I'll be very interested in hearing your impressions after you put it through its paces! :D

Cheers,

Elie

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
Your XT5 Sport has the Active Damping Suspension, I think? I'll be very interested in hearing your impressions after you put it through its paces! :D
It does. I'll let you know what I think about it. I like excercising my vehicles while driving through 'them thar hills.' lol Had a supercharged Regal GS that was a lot of fun. Not a lot of room to do a good vehicle any justice in the DC 'burbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would agree with that! I had a base '97 Bonneville SE, but with the L67 from the SSEi. (factory option that made it a total sleeper!) I put a smaller 3.4" pulley on it with a K&N cone filter, and raised a few eyebrows the night I took it to the drag strip. It ran a 14.9 and killed an '84 'Vette! When the guy asked me what I'd done to it, At first, I told him nothing, but later copped to the mods 'cuz he was so PO'd!

Cheers,

Elie

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I would agree with that! I had a base '97 Bonneville SE, but with the L67 from the SSEi. (factory option that made it a total sleeper!) I put a smaller 3.4" pulley on it with a K&N cone filter, and raised a few eyebrows the night I took it to the drag strip. It ran a 14.9 and killed an '84 'Vette! When the guy asked me what I'd done to it, At first, I told him nothing, but later copped to the mods 'cuz he was so PO'd!

Cheers,

Elie
Yeah. . that was a nice Bonneville alright.

But an '84 Vette . . .. hey .. if it had the Crossfire they were possibly one of the dullest performing Vettes made.
My '91 Firebird with the lame 305 was as fast or faster than some of those '84 Vettes. . . lol.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Cheers,

Elie
Cars have changed a lot! A 1984 Corvette is a bit slower in the 1/4 than your Acadia. Yep, really.
1984 Corvette = 15.2, pretty slow for a muscle car
2019 Acadia = 15.0, pretty quick grocery getter

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Cars have changed a lot! A 1984 Corvette is a bit slower in the 1/4 than your Acadia. Yep, really.
I almost bought an '84 vette in '86 because they were so cheap to buy. I knew a few guys that worked at auctions and quite a few would show up. One of the friends had one and I drove it and another. Once they got on to the TPI they got better. Even the Firebirds back in the '82(?) to '84 time frame had the dismal Crossfire TBI. GM was in a crush to meet EPA mandates and the cars back then suffered.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I almost bought an '84 vette in '86 because they were so cheap to buy. I knew a few guys that worked at auctions and quite a few would show up. One of the friends had one and I drove it and another. Once they got on to the TPI they got better. Even the Firebirds back in the '82(?) to '84 time frame had the dismal Crossfire TBI. GM was in a crush to meet EPA mandates and the cars back then suffered.
Oh they suffered alright! Honestly, 15.0 for an SUV is quick, not needed for most people. Although I'm happy about it...
But over 15 seconds in the 1/4 is pretty lame for a Corvette, and many years of supposed performance cars back and forward were pretty bad.
Imagine hitting the 1/4 track for fun one weekend, and getting taken by a soccer mom SUV.
"1984 Corvette for sale, cheap, will consider trades for anything that isn't horribly slower than it looks"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)

JayTee 2019 said
Oh they suffered alright! Honestly, 15.0 for an SUV is quick, not needed for most people. Although I'm happy about it...
But over 15 seconds in the 1/4 is pretty lame for a Corvette, and many years of supposed performance cars back and forward were pretty bad.
Imagine hitting the 1/4 track for fun one weekend, and getting taken by a soccer mom SUV.
"1984 Corvette for sale, cheap, will consider trades for anything that isn't horribly slower than it looks"
Yeah, those old cross-fire 'Vettes were nothing to get excited about,. Definitely a low to mid 15 second car. I know how that guy with the '84 felt. I had a '71 'Vette roadster (L48 auto) that I picked up when it was 8 yrs. old and probably should've tweaked in to what was going on there because it had a trailer hitch on it! I ran manual Volvo 142E from a stoplight and we were neck & neck! :(

Cheers,

Elie

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No idea what a Volvo 142E is, but guessing that's not good. LOL

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Well .. . . it was a Volvo . .. nice Euro vehicles known for safety and what not. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts