GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this is "old school".

I did the first oil change at 1,000 miles.
The oil smelled very "used" and was quite dark, when I changed it.
I just check my oil level, and noticed with only 200 miles on the new oil,
the oil again smells very "used" and is already quite dark.

My question is, is this normal?
Also, anyone else with a new 2009, could your check your oil and see
if you have similar results?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Copperhead13 said:

Thanks
may want to consider getting it analyzed

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4011.20

·
Registered
487 Posts
Copperhead13 said:

Thanks
I didn't change my own oil the first time, but when I pulled the dip stick at 1500 it still looked new.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just ordered a kit from Blackstone.

Will post the results when I get them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have about 6200 miles on my 2008 acadia. The firdt time I changed oil at 2800 miles the oil looked fine now I have to have it changed again at about 3200 miles and it looks very dark also. I checked my anti freeze and it was fine. Idont think it is gas as my miledge on the interstate is excellent. A 65 to 68 set on the cruise I averaged 25.6 hand checked for 408 miles yesterday. I wonder if the oil is breaking down because of the hoter running engine. Some of my older cars in the 70-80 time frame did this also and it didnt seem to affect the durability of the engine. It just seems that one week the oil was fine and the next it looked very dark brown. I will ask the service man about when they change my oil. Probably will not get a good answer from him.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Copper...

Did you receive the kit yet? I've now got 1,400+ miles on my '09 and am beginning to formulate a plan for my first change. I'll check the appearance & scent of the oil this week - and will likely wait several hundred more miles before a change.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you oil is very dark after runing the engine for some time, it must mean it is doing its job, don't you think? The air contaminates and the sort add to dirtiness, don't you think. When I changed oil back in the early 60's when was said to change every 3000, I have never saw rich golden oil, have you? it had always been so dirty that it needed to be changed. I never heard of clean oil with perfume smell after a thousand miles. People need to get over it....don't you think??

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
teetertotter said:
If you oil is very dark after runing the engine for some time, it must mean it is doing its job, don't you think? The air contaminates and the sort add to dirtiness, don't you think. When I changed oil back in the early 60's when was said to change every 3000, I have never saw rich golden oil, have you? it had always been so dirty that it needed to be changed. I never heard of clean oil with perfume smell after a thousand miles. People need to get over it....don't you think??
teeter, I agree that the oil is going to be dark and smell bad regardless. But I also agree with doing the analysis of the oils. The OLM (oil Life monitor system) is a joke, and is not accurate. I think it is important to determine what is a good oil to use to get the maximum benefit for your engine. Not necessarily performance or better MPG, but what is going to make the motor last, without destroying it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
teetertotter said:
Over time the oil is going to get dark as the additive package wears out. If it stays clean longer that isn't a bad thing, it just means that the engine is running at optimum levels and not allowing contaminants to build up. A major factor on oil condition is driving style/habits. A ton of short driving short stops can trash your oil fast, over the straight interstate runs of at least 20 miles or so.

Our Acadia for some reason is very hard on oil and with the analysis I have had done I can't go safely over 4k miles. The sad part is the OLM has been around 60% life left at the 4K mark. So for me it isn't wise to follow the OLM.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smooth said:
Copper...

Did you receive the kit yet? I've now got 1,400+ miles on my '09 and am beginning to formulate a plan for my first change. I'll check the appearance & scent of the oil this week - and will likely wait several hundred more miles before a change.

Smooth[/color] <><
I got the kit, but am not due to change the oil for a little bit, I will post the results when I get them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
teetertotter said:
I've never seen oil black in a car with only 1,000 miles on the car and the oil.
Even on my cars with high miles - 80,000+miles, it usually took at least 2,000+ miles
to get black.
???Although, I have 2000 miles on the new oil, and it is not as dark as the factory fill was with 1,000 miles. ???
Go figure.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was querying a GMC Service Mgr this week re: synthet oil, etc., and here are his replies to my questions:[/color]

"The new Acadia is shipped with conventional motor oil 5w-30. The factory recommended service is when the oil monitor light comes on or 5000 miles."

"As far as synthetic oil goes, I feel it is great. The factory does not push synthetic except for one vehicle - the Pontiac GTO. This vehicle requires synthetic oil. The GM oil life monitoring system will work to factory specs with the synthetic oil. As far as oil change intervals with the synthetic, 7500 miles or 6-8 months is a good rule of thumb.

"Yes, you can go 12 months [on the full synthetic] - the oil viscosity will not break down during that time. I would not go more than 1 year.

"You can go to synthetic on your first service - no advantage to waiting for the 10k mark."

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Smooth said:
I was querying a GMC Service Mgr this week re: synthet oil, etc., and here are his replies to my questions:[/color]

"The new Acadia is shipped with conventional motor oil 5w-30. The factory recommended service is when the oil monitor light comes on or 5000 miles." :bs:

"As far as synthetic oil goes, I feel it is great. The factory does not push synthetic except for one vehicle - the Pontiac GTO. This vehicle requires synthetic oil. The GM oil life monitoring system will work to factory specs with the synthetic oil. As far as oil change intervals with the synthetic, 7500 miles or 6-8 months is a good rule of thumb. :bs:

"Yes, you can go 12 months [on the full synthetic] - the oil viscosity will not break down during that time. I would not go more than 1 year. :bs:

"You can go to synthetic on your first service - no advantage to waiting for the 10k mark." :bs:

Smooth[/color] <><
:bs:
I don't agree with hiim

·
Registered
484 Posts
Smooth said:

"The new Acadia is shipped with conventional motor oil 5w-30. The factory recommended service is when the oil monitor light comes on or 5000 miles."

"As far as synthetic oil goes, I feel it is great. The factory does not push synthetic except for one vehicle - the Pontiac GTO. This vehicle requires synthetic oil. The GM oil life monitoring system will work to factory specs with the synthetic oil. As far as oil change intervals with the synthetic, 7500 miles or 6-8 months is a good rule of thumb.

"Yes, you can go 12 months [on the full synthetic] - the oil viscosity will not break down during that time. I would not go more than 1 year.

"You can go to synthetic on your first service - no advantage to waiting for the 10k mark."

Smooth[/color] <><

Smooth,

Driving a certain amount of miles or one year oil change on synthetic oil is a good general rule. The only way you can go longer is if you have your oil analyzed to see exactly what it's condition is to determine if it is still good. For the most part depending on your driving habits and driving conditions you could go over a year. The best way to find out is to have your oil analyzed at the one year mark. This is even if you only have 3k on the oil at the one year time frame.

Every persons driving style is different and so is the driving environment that they drive in which effects how the engine performs and how long the oil will last. Case in point, our Acadia can't go past 4k miles even with a high quality synthetic. The lab and I are working on trying to figure out for the most part what is wrong. I know my wife's driving style and the short trips contribute to the oil not lasting very long. The only thing is our last car, a chevy venture the oil held out great for 10k mile in the exact driving style and conditions but the engine was a whole different design.

If you are going to go one year on the oil change with about 5k miles on the oil and you driving will be 80% highway the conditions are better for the oil to hold up and do well with that type of oil change service. If you want to go longer then I would recommend an analysis.

Running a Wix filter will last an easy 6k miles or so, if you want to run longer with an analysis being accomplished that shows you can, then I would use an AMSOIL Eao filter*[/color] which will last for 15K miles with no problems.

Right now the oil wasn't holding up in our Acadia at 6k miles, so the lab said to keep it at 4k miles until we figure out what is causing the oil to have such a short life. But they said that I could keep the EaO filter on just change the oil. Which is great if you ask me since the filter location in the Acadia isn't the best and can make a mess when changed. Why you would put an oil filter right next to a super hot running catalytic converter does not make sense to me at all but the engineers figured otherwise. ???

* Please see this updated post from Rat407 regrading AMSOIL EA047 oil filters for the Acadia.

Blue[/color]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Rat you got me thinking about the oil filter location; could this be causing shorter oil life being next to the Cat? Maybe you should get one of those cool filter relocation things from Amsoil and try that and then have your oil retested.

·
Registered
484 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Rat you got me thinking about the oil filter location; could this be causing shorter oil life being next to the Cat? Maybe you should get one of those cool filter relocation things from Amsoil and try that and then have your oil retested.
I have been doing some research and found that if the cat's are breaking down the insides can get sucked back into the engine and it will effect the oil, it might be my issue, just not sure. The fact that the cat's are both right at the exhaust manifolds doesn't help. I'm still searching for more information. It would be nice to see other Acadia oil analysis from other acadia owners just for comparison. Other than heat off the cats next to the oil filter it doesn't help any but running synthetic is a benefit if it is getting heat from there over conventional oil.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Unfortunately, the closer the cats are to the exhaust manifolds the better they work. Hey GM engineers, all we want is a better location for the filter, like how easy they are to get to on an LSx motor. :cheers:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Rat407,

Thank you for the feedback. Gee, if you're having a short oil life (4,000 mi.) with very good oil and filter, why would I expect to do much better - other than taking the better part of a year to get to 4,000 miles? I might do as well with dino oil and a standard filter and just go 4,000 or 12 months - whichever comes first.

I do like the prospect of changing the filter only once per two oil changes - if I could manage that. I still have yet to hear a fellow Acadian describe a method for removing the filter w/o making a mess. Is this just not possible? Perhaps easier to take my oil & filter of choice to a shop and just let them drain & fill??

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Registered
484 Posts
Smooth said:
Rat407,

Thank you for the feedback. Gee, if you're having a short oil life (4,000 mi.) with very good oil and filter, why would I expect to do much better - other than taking the better part of a year to get to 4,000 miles? I might do as well with dino oil and a standard filter and just go 4,000 or 12 months - whichever comes first.

I do like the prospect of changing the filter only once per two oil changes - if I could manage that. I still have yet to hear a fellow Acadian describe a method for removing the filter w/o making a mess. Is this just not possible? Perhaps easier to take my oil & filter of choice to a shop and just let them drain & fill??

Smooth [/color] <><

I would bet that another Acadia owner that drives more on the highway/interstate type driving would fare better on the oil. My wife doesn't go very far, it is a 4 mile trip to school with the kids and then back and then only 1.3 miles to where she works. So the oil isn't really getting a hard run with the engine at full temp. Add that and the design of the engine and how it is controlled by the computer and for some reason it is killing the oil. If you do more of the highway miles and a longer drive from start to finish you might fare better. An oil analysis would shed light on that. That is one reason it would be nice to have other fellow Acadia owners have their oil sampled at around 5k miles to see where they stand. Especially with their style and driving distance to shed light on the condition their oil showed on the analysis.

Smooth, you might be able to go the distance. I'm just wondering what other Acadia owners oil is like that are actually following the oil life monitor (OLM)? It might be ok or it might be bad. There are a few on here that are going to 10k on an oil change. If only they would have their oil sent in and tested. That could be very interesting to see the results.

Dealing with automobiles is a hobby for me and so the oil analysis is one that I enjoy. It is interesting to see how my vehicles are doing. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just changed the oil for the first time on our '09 with 1200 miles on the clock. I was very surprised to see how black the oil was at 1200 miles. I had gotten a blackstone kit for my truck so I am now using it for the Acadia. My Silverado with 65K on it still has a clean amber color when I drain the oil but I could not even see through the oil out of the Acadia. Replaced it with dino oil but I think I may switch over to Synthetic before 10K at this rate. I will post the results when I get them from Blackstone. By the way do they hire gorillas to put on the factory filters???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.