GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my dear Acadia in tonight for its first oil change and tire rotation. I was at 6,270 miles and the "oil life remaining" indicator didn't think I needed an oil change, but I'm going on a road trip to WI and then to MN next weekend, so I thought it in my Acadia's best interest to get rid of that nasty ol' oil it was lugging around. I think it was happy with my decision. It even felt a little peppier as we left the dealership. ;)

On my way there, I spotted a brown Enclave. My first Enclave spotting. I mentioned it to a salesguy at the dealership and he said he bets that's the first one they sold. He said that the dealership couldn't get their hands on many Enclaves to sell, but 10 of them were sitting in the back lot ordered for Hertz rental car. Hertz?! Huh.

They had a white diamond Enclave sitting in the showroom where the carbon metallic Acadia used to be. Poor Acadia. Booted out of the showroom like a red-headed stepchild. :-\ I have to say, the Enclave isn't as awful looking in person as it is in pictures. I don't like it either, but it wasn't hideous. The front end was yucky. The tailgate was open, so I didn't get a good look at the rear. The interior in the cargo area is WAY smaller than the Acadia. The salesguy said that they don't expect people who will be buying this car to want to haul around sheets of plywood. ::) I looked over the dash and interior. I really don't care for the styling. But I'm certain it will appeal to others.

The one thing I really like about the Acadia, the Enclave and the Outlook is that even though they are all technically the same vehicle, they really don't look identical. You can't mistake one for the other when you see them driving down the road. I dig that. :thumb:

While I was there, I also asked about touch-up paint. They had to order it. I guess there isn't any red jewel touch-up paint lying around. It's okay though, I'll have it in a few days.

Alright, I've rambled enough. :confused:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Did you go for full synthetic? Or was it already full synthetic stock?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. The price difference was a whopping 6 bucks more, so I told them to go ahead with the synthetic.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Got a post card for a $19.95 oil change at the dealers. What did the full synthetic oil change go for? For $26 bucks, it would definately be worth i!!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the 7,500 mile service done, so they raked me over the coals. It came out to $94.82 everything included (tax, etc.). But I'm going on a road trip in a week and next month we're going on another major road trip, so it's a small investment to make I guess. :)

I think just oil change with full synthetic at my dealership is... actually I dunno. Their website doesn't say.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would think it would be somewhere around $40-50 because at this mileage what the dealership does is mostly inspection or maybe perhaps include some lubrication

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dealership does the first oil change free, guess I'll pay extra to get the synthetic. Do they charge you anything for the touch up paint?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The touchup paint was $9.95 plus tax.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi there. A GMC dealer's service manager came into our business this weekend, and we were grilling him about our first oil change and other stuff. Of course he said the usual, change around every 3000 miles (not there yet). Also, he said if you go with synthetic, to always stick with it. My husband probably knew that, but I didn't. I read that you folks were using it in your Acadias and just wanted to pass that on.

Has anyone received an info regarding the airconditioning issue yet? Ours is still working, but the Acadia0007 from GM had mentioned that we will all have to deal with that seal issue, once they have it resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy I talked to in the service department said that's not true... about once you go synthetic, stay with it. He said you can switch back and forth and it won't hurt the vehicle. He also didn't chastise me about waiting longer than 3,000 miles for an oil change. He said that the oil change light would have been coming on soon and I had good timing bringing it in at 6,200 miles.

My AC works fabulously, even when I don't have it on. Which leads me to believe that even the SLE models have automatic climate control.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I too was told that you can switch back and forth between synthetic and Dino juice without any problems.

Also, I received a tube of touch up paint in the mail about 6 weeks after taking delivery. Not sure who it came from.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
For your information, US GM engine plant has been using synthetic oil for quite some time according to my sister-in-law who works at our local truck plant. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1975 and change every 10,000. According to lab testing, you could go 30,000, but still recommend 12,000 mile changes. Conventional oil, per lab tests, start to break down at 6000 miles. Transmission Fluid is probably synthetic in the Acadia but have not verified yet. If so, you can go 150,000 or five years. You can call in your VIN# to service dept and they can tell you what fluids came with your vehicle, at least Ford can.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Web Raven, thanks for the info on your service experience and pricing.

I also received a tube of touch up paint in the mail as "compliments of the dealership." (Carbon Metallic)

All the other posts on oil state that the engine starts out with dino juice. It would be good to get confirmation of your information about GM engines starting out with synthetic v. dino juice. Also, I've always heard that once you switch to synthetic, you should stick with it.

If one changes oil every 3-5K miles, I don't guess it matters whether you use dino juice or synthetic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You know you can always bring in your own synthetic and have them change it with the filter. I change my own on all my vehicles. My friends and family use the Amsoil I get for them and their dealers charge about $10-$12. I have been sold on it since '92. I drain and refill with the filter every 10K. Amsoil says 24K with their filter. I'm fine with 10K. All my german cars are 10K as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts