GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to setting up the bluetooth and I must say I'm very impressed so far. I had tried the bluetooth in the CX-9 that we came close to buying and IMO the Acadia's integration is WAY better.

Pairing our phones was a piece of cake and making calls is simple too. I haven't set ours all the way up yet (there are actually quite a few bluetooth-related options available) so to make phone calls this is what I do currently:

1. Press and hold the bluetooth button on the steering wheel until the Acadia says "Ready". She goes ahead and turns down the fan speed of the AC system and the volume of the radio automatically so that you don't have to, which reduces ambient noise.

2. I say "Dial"

3. She says "Ready to dial using _____'s phone. What number please?" (where the blank is the voice tag associated with your phone that you set up during the pairing process). This is a nice feature, showing you which phone is currently connected to the system. Especially handy when both you and your spouse are in the car with 2 phones paired to the Acadia. Only one can be connected at a time, obviously.

4. I say the phone number to be dialed. It then repeats the number for me and puts the number on the DIC in front of me so I can verify it heard me correctly.

5. Then it dials out and viola, you are connected.

You can assign voice tags for up to 30 numbers (if I remember correctly), which will short cut the above process so that in step 2 above you just say "Call JonTon" and it references the number on file for your JonTon voice tag and immediately dials out. Pretty slick. Out of the 15 times I have dialed out since paring our phones, it has only mis-interprted one digit twice. All other times it has been flawless.

When someone calls you while you're in the vehicle, caller ID shows up on the DIC so that you can decide whether or not to answer. Here's just a sample photo of the caller ID on the DIC (note I used MS Paint to blot out the last 2 digits to "protect the innocent". Sorry it is so blurry; I could not use a flash because the glare was too bad. Really glad I waited for the 09 and got this feature!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good write up. I'm a total noob when it comes to this, but it sounds like the wife might make use of it, since she has the cell phone. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is the "pairing", and likewise how about the sound quality on both ends (any complaints from the people you called that they can't hear you)?

After the number to be dialed is verified on the DIC, can you say anything else, like "Make it so"? :)

I bet they used Web's voice from her interview for the system voice! Talk about being honored for all time in an Acadia. Accordingly, Saturn & Chevy owners will get Billy Mays (that obnoxious infomercial dude) and Buick owners the guy that announces golf games.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
After the number to be dialed is verified on the DIC, can you say anything else, like "Make it so"? :)
Maybe the new keyless remote can be upgraded with voice prompt.
The term "Engage" could be used for remote starts! :blob:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
There you go... good thing (for everyone else) we were not allowed on the design team. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Good write up. I'm a total noob when it comes to this, but it sounds like the wife might make use of it, since she has the cell phone. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is the "pairing", and likewise how about the sound quality on both ends (any complaints from the people you called that they can't hear you)?

I bet they used Web's voice from her interview for the system voice! Talk about being honored for all time in an Acadia. Accordingly, Saturn & Chevy owners will get Billy Mays (that obnoxious infomercial dude) and Buick owners the guy that announces golf games.
I'd say the pairing is about a 2 (where 1 is the least difficult), it really is easy. She will sometimes ask you if the number she heard you say is correct. Not everytime though. I am trying to figure out the pattern of it. Believe it or not it's almost like she only asks you to verify if the number she says back to you if she was unsure she heard you or not. Sound crazy?

I have asked numerous folks how the sound quality was from my end and they said it sounded exactly like I do when I am on my cell phone like normal. And at the other end of the spectrum callers sound good through the Acadia's speakers and I like being able to use the radio knobs or steering wheel controls to control their volume.

For the record, that would be freakin awesome to have the golf guy's voice as my Acadia. Then maybe he can add an insult or two like he soes on the Tiger Woods golf games on X-box. LOL

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know in the past there had been quite a few questions on if GM was going to integrate the radio display or NAV display with their bluetooth. As of right now I do not see any tie in at all. In fact when I use the OnStar verizon minutes to place a call, it is very similar to when I use my cell phone via bluetooth. Both use the DIC for a visual interface to hands free calling. So I think there is definitely a strong tie in to the Onstar Module, in general.

Hope this helps some of you 07/08 Acadia owners when thinking of a possibility of upgrading to bluetooth. And I have no idea if you can change out the On Star module....

·
Registered
195 Posts
JT - Since I haven't got that far yet (still finishing up some radio/navi programming then on to BT), did you notice if BT worked at all through the HUD (i.e., showing phone number) or is it just on the DIC?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bseemore said:
JT - Since I haven't got that far yet (still finishing up some radio/navi programming then on to BT), did you notice if BT worked at all through the HUD (i.e., showing phone number) or is it just on the DIC?
I can confirm it is just on the DIC. I too was hoping it would be on the HUD.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
JonTon said:
I know in the past there had been quite a few questions on if GM was going to integrate the radio display or NAV display with their bluetooth. As of right now I do not see any tie in at all. In fact when I use the OnStar verizon minutes to place a call, it is very similar to when I use my cell phone via bluetooth. Both use the DIC for a visual interface to hands free calling. So I think there is definitely a strong tie in to the Onstar Module, in general.

Hope this helps some of you 07/08 Acadia owners when thinking of a possibility of upgrading to bluetooth. And I have no idea if you can change out the On Star module....
Seems odd that it would not integrate with the nav screen. What does the manual say about it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
loach said:
JonTon said:

Seems odd that it would not integrate with the nav screen. What does the manual say about it?
Not much beyond describing the different bluetooth features available and supported by the Acadia. The only integration I have noticed between hands free (both OnStar-Verizon and bluetooth) and the NAV screen is the fact that when you are on the phone, a telephone symbol will show up on the NAV screen to remind you why the volume has been all of the sudden turned down...

·
Registered
427 Posts
JonTon said:

On my '08 SLT-1, whenever we place an Onstar/Verizon call, the dialed digits (and incoming caller*id) show up on the radio display, not the DIC. Granted - I have the DVD entertainment system, but NOT navigation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dmurphy said:
JonTon said:

On my '08 SLT-1, whenever we place an Onstar/Verizon call, the dialed digits (and incoming caller*id) show up on the radio display, not the DIC. Granted - I have the DVD entertainment system, but NOT navigation.
Now that is interesting. We'll have to see how the 09 without the NAV does it. I'm willing to bet it will still be the DIC and not the radio....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can't resist asking my wife tonight if she would like her bluetooth on my DIC. :angel: :cheers: :beer: :drunk:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Too funny - I had to show this to my husband and he also had a good laugh!!! Just what I needed this afternoon - Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
At the Acadia forum we're here to please. :thumb:

Not sure if my wife will laugh as much :p

·
Registered
195 Posts
.......then again she might when I show her my DIC >:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you're outta control bro... ;D

·
Registered
195 Posts
What can I say. This is my first new vehicle in nearly 10 years and I'm so excited about all the new features. ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Back to the topic at hand - I'll admit I'm a bluetooth newbie, but doesn't it seem weak that caller info would not show up on the nav radio screen? There's even some aftermarket units I believe that integrate this info with the OEM nav radio (Tellphone?).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts