GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing a hitch so I could use a bike rack. I installed this hitch. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~75528.htm?vehicleid=20089165

I am very pleased with how easy it was to install. It took about 30 minutes. I also am pleased with how well the hitch hides and am happy with it overall.

Check out the pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Looks good :thumb:; does the bike interfere with seeing behind you?

·
Registered
428 Posts
jsimms said:
Looks good :thumb:; does the bike interfere with seeing behind you?
thats what the side mirrors are for

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
OK; this is for GAR,

Do you have any issues seeing what's behind you through the back window with the bike installed on the rack?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My next project will also be a hitch bick rack.
Looks really good!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsimms said:
OK; this is for GAR,

Do you have any issues seeing what's behind you through the back window with the bike installed on the rack?
I don't know yet. I put the bike up there just to test it out. I will soon be hauling 4 bikes for an outing and will post an updated answer then.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
jsimms said:
OK; this is for GAR,

Hey! Who cares as long as you're going forward? What I want to know is if you got the jockstrap for the rear bunmper from GM or the hitch company?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speleos said:
Hey! Who cares as long as you're going forward? What I want to know is if you got the jockstrap for the rear bunmper from GM or the hitch company?
I ordered it over a year ago on-line and it was sitting in my home office on the shelf. I cannot remember where I ordered it but I just did a Google search and picked the cheapest place at the time. I think I paid around $30 for it.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
GAR said:
I ordered it over a year ago on-line and it was sitting in my home office on the shelf. I cannot remember where I ordered it but I just did a Google search and picked the cheapest place at the time. I think I paid around $30 for it.
Cool! Doesn't look like it will hold the ball, though! :banana:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GAR said:
I don't know yet. I put the bike up there just to test it out. I will soon be hauling 4 bikes for an outing and will post an updated answer then.
Here is a picture I took with all 4 bikes installed. It was very easy to see out of the rear with the bikes on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
jsimms said:
OK; this is for GAR,

Not too bad; thanks for the pic it helped visualize the whole thing

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't know, seeing through the bikes was fine, it's the hands I had trouble with. :angel:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mckcab said:
I don't know, seeing through the bikes was fine, it's the hands I had trouble with. :angel:
There's always one joker in the group :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh you're just mad because I said it first!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mckcab said:
Oh you're just mad because I said it first!
:notworthy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the back up assist and camera with my acadia, (I decided it was in the category of need rather than want) I backed into a telephone pole in my Jimmy with the bike on last summer trying to turn about on a narrow side street! :eek: Put a volleyball sized dent in the back of the hatch (I was using a hatch mounted bike carrier) and bent and it did some damage to the pedals and chainring. I'm hopeless![/color]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the post. Will be doing this upgrade this summer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well at least the camera does still work. I guess it makes sense that the ultrasonic doesn't. I've already learned that it's not perfect, since the carmera has blind spots too (it misses things about the height of a curb once it's so many feet close to the vehicle) I'm not sure if the ultrasonic will pick up those things. Potentially you can still run over things like toys and skateboards left inside the camera blindspot but again, I don't know if the ultrasonic covers this blindspot since I don't have my truck yet, I know it did pick up the wall but it let me back over the curb when i backed in at the dealer.[/color]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just FYI - The back up sensors do not work when the hitch and bikes are installed. It turns itself off when they are back there. Not sure how much they would interfere with a camera as I don't have one. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.