GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8)

You know how the Acadia has that "blank" area over the qtr mounted tail lights, well I finally popped in some lamps and boy, it sure completes the look... I still need to get some night pics, but you definitely get a lot more light flanking out the rear and with the gate up... I just wanted to get some pics up. But I simply just popped out the lamps, used a 194 light socket kit to mark a template on the lamp, drilled it out, used a pen knife to cut out the keys were the tabs go in, I used larger 16w 922 bulbs as they have the same base as a 194 but are larger and brighter... I plan to eventually upgrade these to led... but that's another thread! I just tapped into the green wire listed in other threads coming from the lift gate in the lt rear pillar for power with a tapcon. Other than that it was a pretty easy mod!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
nicely done. You have tackled something I have been thinking about doing myself. Can't wait to see night shots!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Could amber colored directionals be added instead of the back ups?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good concept & execution. I'd say if not the most, you're in our top 5 most modified vehicles. Thanks for all the neat stuff you figure out to do. :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, :cheers:
I actually was considering the amber turn signals but was worried about having a bright enough bulb in there to "pop" like the led lights do.... But I am still on the fence about maybe still doing that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I have posted this under that thread? ???
Anyway, here are the night shots... easier said than done to get a good digital photo in the dark... but here they are:
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, which is the factory back up lamp and which was the add on. I don't yet have an Acadia. Should have one by the end of the week though.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think all the jpg's are with the aftermarket bulbs

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Outer white bulbs should be after market!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, I now have one sitting in my driveway. Although it's for demo purposes only and I will complete the paperwork on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:thumb:
good choice!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice to see another New Jersey Acadia owner. Good luck with your new truck. Your going to love it. :thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Silverado02 said:
8)

You know how the Acadia has that "blank" area over the qtr mounted tail lights, well I finally popped in some lamps and boy, it sure completes the look... I still need to get some night pics, but you definitely get a lot more light flanking out the rear and with the gate up... I just wanted to get some pics up. But I simply just popped out the lamps, used a 194 light socket kit to mark a template on the lamp, drilled it out, used a pen knife to cut out the keys were the tabs go in, I used larger 16w 922 bulbs as they have the same base as a 194 but are larger and brighter... I plan to eventually upgrade these to led... but that's another thread! I just tapped into the green wire listed in other threads coming from the lift gate in the lt rear pillar for power with a tapcon. Other than that it was a pretty easy mod!
Do you have backup camera? I was woundering if maybe it was to bright for it in night mode? Just a thought...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I do have the backupcam in the nav... and with adding the side extra backup lights there is a huge increase in the light output on the sides at night flanking the sides!!! 8)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am really thinking of doing this mod. It has less than 3k on it and I really dont want to start hacking on it YET. ;)

However, is our reverse lights LED as well? If they are, I will get a factory LED pigtail for it to add. If not, I think I may ebay it for LED's for reverse. I can then add an licence plate LED at the same time. Thoughts? (I dont want to get to far from factory)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh, man I think there was only 1k on ours when I did this mod!!!
Just take ur time!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
eljones247 said:
I am really thinking of doing this mod. It has less than 3k on it and I really dont want to start hacking on it YET. ;)

However, is our reverse lights LED as well? If they are, I will get a factory LED pigtail for it to add. If not, I think I may ebay it for LED's for reverse. I can then add an licence plate LED at the same time. Thoughts? (I dont want to get to far from factory)
I thought our backup lights were standard halogens. The Sylvania site lists them as 12185 lamps. I was planning to pop them out as well as my turn signals to see what type bulb they were. If they're LEDs, great! If not, I wanted to replace them both with LEDs to give the clean LED look and to clear out the bit of amber showing in the front (Silverstar Signal bulbs don't seem like an option).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The backup and I am assuming you mean the front signals are both just incandecent bulbs. Sice adding the extra backup lamps,
I think the next mod might be to swap out all the rear backup lamps with 6k led like the new cadi's have.... :cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Silverado02 said:
The backup and I am assuming you mean the front signals are both just incandecent bulbs. Sice adding the extra backup lamps,
I think the next mod might be to swap out all the rear backup lamps with 6k led like the new cadi's have.... :cheers:
I agree. As soon as I find out what lamps these are I'll try to order some.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts