GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up an '07 2 weeks ago, just gave it it's first bath today and when drying the wheels noticed the edges of the rim peeling and holding a lot of dirt - picked at it a bit and it flakes off, do these rims come with a protective film that was never peeled off or is this some sort of finish? (ive never had anthing but steel wheels with hubcaps before :))

if its supposed to come off, its gonna take me hours the way its flaking in tiny pieces

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I don't think there is anything to peel off

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe something they never removed from the factory? maybe ill leave it and ask when i get it in for service

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
R-D said:
maybe something they never removed from the factory? maybe ill leave it and ask when I get it in for service
I would think it would be obvious something is on the wheels when originally sold and would have been removed; who knows. Let us know if something comes of this when you take it in

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres a couple shots of the wheel, it seems like it wraps up under the tire, thats what makes me think it may be some kind of protective film that didnt come off from the factory, be almost impossible to get it all off at this point i think

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Seems like a coating as you stated; anyone else with 19's having this issue?

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I bumped the spoke on one of my 19s and saw that it is coated with some kind of protective polymer. That can be fixed pretty easily at a wheel shop. Loss of the coating is only an aesthetic problem. I don't think they missed anything during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection).

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
I bumped the spoke on one of my 19s and saw that it is coated with some kind of protective polymer. That can be fixed pretty easily at a wheel shop. Loss of the coating is only an aesthetic problem. I don't think they missed anything during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection).
My Taurus is doing the same thing; it's a 99 though. I think it's some protective coating and probably isn't a big deal

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
looks like the peeling clearcoat on my parents old 86 Buick Park Ave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Aluminum wheels all come from the factory with a protective clear coat finish that keeps the aluminum fresh looking. Removal of this stuff is done by buffing the wheel or use of a chemical that dissolves the clear coat. Problem with that is the aluminum will start corroding and you have to polish it every so often to keep it looking shiny.

Rex

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how long should this factory clearcoat last? any chance they'll do anything when i take it in for service?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
R-D said:
how long should this factory clearcoat last? any chance they'll do anything when I take it in for service?

thanks
My guess is not for free.

Can you tell if the tires have been replaced?
I am guessing the clearcoat was chipped when the tires were removed and remounted for replacement or repair. Once the chipping started it probably just continued... or was caused by damage to the wheel from curb rubbing..

Usually the biggest cause I have seen for clearcoat chipping on wheels has been from outside mounted wheel weights at the tire shop.. I hate those dang things.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
bonk1313 said:
looks like the peeling clearcoat on my parents old 86 Buick Park Ave
I've had this happen on some of my cars as well, but they were a lot older than 2 years old at the time. I'd agree it would be a hard sell to get a dealer to fix it- they'd say it was done by a tire shop, and since you bought it used you can't disprove that.

Removing clearcoat and reapplying it is time consuming on your own- I ended up painting my wheels with black wheel paint from Eastwood.

There are several places that refinish wheels if this is something you're interested in doing, but you'd be better off finding a local place to save on shipping. You could ask around at some tire shops and see if there is anyplace that does it, or perhaps a body shop.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Removing clearcoat and reapplying it is time consuming on your own- I ended up painting my wheels with black wheel paint from Eastwood.
Darn Blue, you know Clint, too!! ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem at 19000km and 2 years old, went to the dealer and they replaced all 4 wheels,I was pretty amazed but very happy, had very good service at this dealer but unfortunatlly they are closing in 1 month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts