GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought the fender flares and installed them? If so can someone post some pictures and a description of the install?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've never seen or heard about fender flares for the Acadia. Where did you hear about them? Are you referring to the OEM black plastic around the wheel wells?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gmpartsdirect.com:

GM PART # 17800001
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $200.00
OUR PRICE: $169.40
DESCRIPTION: FLARE

I originally found them as an Outlook option. I guess I assumed they were an Acadia option as well and they are according to GM parts direct. Since the Lambda's share the same sheet metal I figured they would fit both.

here is a picture from the getsaturnpartsparts.com website: If you look closely at the picture you can see the black outline.

The link is: http://www.getsaturnparts.com/

According to another Saturn Forum they are black and are applied with existing screws and 2 sided tape. I am looking for a picture of a real install.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Acadia already has the fender enhancement you're speaking of on the SLT models.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see a black molding but it doesn't appear to be a full "fender flare". I'm comparing some Acadia pictures and the pic I posted and they don't seem to be exactly the same to my eye. Maybe it was a Saturn only item?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I am crazy but I think they are different.

Here are two pics. 1) Acadia flares 3) Saturn installed flares from another user who sent me some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Now seeing them side by side like that they are definitely different. However I'm wondering if the fender shape is actually different between the two. If you look at the Acadia pic above, it seems as if the "Flat" part of the fender aruond the wheel well is not much larger than the molding that is currently there. However looking at the Outlook, it sure seems as if the molding is much wider.

When you said fender flares, I was envisioning more of a bulging "flare" to make use of wider tires and add more heft to the profile of the car. Didn't realize you were just referring to the wheel well trim molding that stay flat against the vehicle. That's why I was confused earlier.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha, I am just using their terminology, Saturn calls it a fender flare. Interesting thing is GMpartsdirect doesn't sell Saturn parts on the website unless there is an associated GMC/Chevy/Buick, etc part that has the same # and they had the fender flares listed. They call it a flare as well.

So in any event a guy on another board sent me that picture of his cocoa Outlook with the flares installed and I decided to pull the trigger, I like the look I think they are sharp. They should be here this coming week.

To my eye that front quarterpanel looks the same on both vehicles, I wonder if they would fit an acadia SLE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
JF7FSU said:
Sure they are different, the body is different too, but why would an Acadia owner want to cobver their existing flares?

I'd say go for it for your Outlook, they look great! In fact they make it look more like an Acadia ;D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoeVegas said:
JF7FSU said:
Sure they are different, the body is different too, but why would an Acadia owner want to cobver their existing flares?

I'd say go for it for your Outlook, they look great! In fact they make it look more like an Acadia ;D
I believe they dont come standard on the base SLX model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you look closely at the pictures posted by JF7FSU you'll see that the Acadia has a half inch lip around the fender flare that the Outlook doesn't have. The flare on the Acadia actually fits under the fender. (I noticed this while washing ours this afternoon) It looks like the Outlook flare fits over this lip and flush with the fender. It looks like both wheel openings might be the same size to me. Looks like you could use either but not both. ???

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just realized you had an Outlook...Didn't the person that gave you the Outlook pics in this thread offer you any other install tips or pics? Was their's dealer installed perhaps?

In any case, it can't be a terribly difficult installation. Your probably talking about a few bolts in the wheel well (maybe predrilled already?), and some 3M body tape to stick along the top edge and hold it against the body.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone did finally respond (during the posting) which is where I got that picture from. I just wanted to extend the thread by asking if Acadia owners were interested in this on the SLX.

·
Registered
148 Posts
why would you want such a thing? and why would you pay money for it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gnarboots11 said:
why would you want such a thing? and why would you pay money for it?
What kind of a question is that? If you don't like them don't buy it. They *obviously* offer some level of protection to the outside wheel wells from dings as well as look pretty cool!

·
Registered
681 Posts
JF7FSU said:
Someone did finally respond (during the posting) which is where I got that picture from. I just wanted to extend the thread by asking if Acadia owners were interested in this on the SLX.
What's an SLX? ;)

Think you mean SLT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.