GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the dilemmas would end after I'd chosen the car details......but they continue...................

I need to get cross-rails for the rack. I'm positive the GM rails look better - but I'm concerned that will limit my flexibility for carrying stuff. I have a cargo box that will mount fine to GM rails, but I also need to carry a bike now and then. (And I don't want to put it inside the car - even though I could.)

So, for that flexibility, I'm leaning toward Yakima rails. (The GM and Yakima solutions cost the same.) My questions:
1. Can a kind soul comment on how hard Yakima rails are to put on and take off? Maybe I deal with the looks by putting the rails on only when I need them.
2. Can a kind soul tell me how much additional clearance is needed for the vehicle when the Yakima rails are installed? I haven't measured how much clearance I have between the fore/aft rails and my garage door. Not being able to pull into the garage with the rails installed would be a showstopper.
3. Can a kind soul with opinions on this topic please chime in?

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you'll have a bit of a challenge clean and jerking a bike on top of an Acadia, unless you are a seven-footer. I'd put the bikes on the back. Hopefully you got the towing package as there are lots of hitch-mounted racks out there. As for a Yakima system, if you use the standard Lowrider rail system, I think it only works where there is a gap in the rail -- which only leaves you about a 24-30 inch bar spread. I would want at least a 36-inch spread for a long cargo box, so I'd go with the factory crossbars. Of course a cargo box would put your Acadia roof height at over 8 feet so it won't fit in most garages.

As to your questions: 1) It takes me about 10-15 minutes to install a Yakima sytem on a Subaru Outback. Double the time for an Acadia with the extra height. I'd go with the locks, thieves love roof rack stuff, it's easy to sell on eBay. 2) A lowrider raises the crossbar height about 2-1/2 inches. Accessories will add it up from there. 3) I think the Acadia roof rack is ornamental at best. Until Yakima or Thule makes an adapter that uses the slide on the inside of the rail, there isn't enough crossbar spread for the accessories you would want up there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent points. I assumed I could place the Yakima bars anywhere along the side rails I wanted. I'll look at where they can go and look at the dimensions on the cargo box.

Good point about getting the bike on the roof given the height. Although the bike is a carbon road bike (no mtn or downhill bikes). I have been carrying my bike in the back of my Rendezvous but the tires scuffed stuff. So I was wanting to put the bike on the outside. No, I didn't get a trailering package.

Thanks a lot.

Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Use the trailer hitch mount, it would suck if a rock hit the carbon frame at 70 mph. I'm assuming the scuffing came from the front tire, try using bungie cording the front wheel to the seat post, so the front wheel will not turn and hit the body of the vehicle. Also use the bike mount furthest from the vehicle. That should keep your vehicle and bike in good shape. Happy riding from a fellow roadie.

·
Registered
681 Posts
These were purchased for our Suburban, I just put them on to see if they would work, they are not on right now and i never took any measurements, sorry. I did have them installed as far aprt as possible (basically mounted right up against the rear and front roof rails mounts).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you confirm whether you can place the towers ANYWHERE (in the fore/aft direction) on the side rails? Or are there places on those side rails where the towers can only go - which then pre-determines the fore/aft crossbar spread.

Thanks.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts