GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be placing an order for an Acadia this wekend. The only big decision is to get teh factory navigation or put in aftermarket? I know the factory will have a cleaner look and probably cost a few dollars more. But, will it be as good as an aftermarket unit? A lot of the time, aftermarket units have so much more to offer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
3fittyZ said:
I will be placing an order for an Acadia this wekend. The only big decision is to get teh factory navigation or put in aftermarket? I know the factory will have a cleaner look and probably cost a few dollars more. But, will it be as good as an aftermarket unit? A lot of the time, aftermarket units have so much more to offer.
You will be more satisfied with the aftermarket Hard-Drive based navigation sysytems as they are more intuitive, more user friendly and easily updated rather than the DVD-based factory NAV in the Acadia. Search the threads -- theres a lot of post and pics of aftermarket NAV system installed by members in their ride....

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered my SLE with non Bose. I upgraded the speakers with BA & installed a BA 4-channel amp. It sounds great! My wife then wanted a backup camera so I installed the Pioneer AVIC-D3 aftermarket unit. The Nav & backup camera are great. The only thing that I don't like is that the new unit does not show the digital song display from the unit. I did lose the factory XM & added my own XM portable unit to the system. I could add bluetooth/Sirrus/XM internal units to the unit.

The total install was $1300.00 from Crutchfield including the LAN Box, new ONStar speaker, & steering wheel control unit.

Pat

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure one of your options is the backup sensors if it is not a standard item!

I wish that I would have ordered this option.

Pat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also have the Pioneer AVIC-D3, dealer installed w/ Bluetooth, ipod connection, steering wheel controls

only complaint is after ignition before warning screen, i get a parking brake warning acknowledge screen as well.

i am told by installer and dealer that this known issue "goes away after a few months" and that it's sensor reading issue, not a true brake issue.

whatever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in the same boat.
I've been driving a fully loaded one for the last few days to test it out.
I'm actually starting to like the factory Nav and Dvd. Mainly because if you have the HUD, which this car does, you get alot of info from the Nav and Radio in the HUD when your driving. Aftermarket wont do that. So I think if I pull the trigger, I'll just add a BT Car kit and be done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dear theButteredFist,

If you are getting a warning that the parking brake cable is not detected or a system malfunction, I can help you fix that. There is a trick on these units so you can watch them while driving, but it will involve taking the unit out and moving the mute wire in the audio harness. If they do it incorrectly, for example move the wire and then don't ground, you will get the improper brake message, blah blah. The funny part is they say it will go away. Now thats funny.

Look at the link below. I think this may be your problem.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=210604&anum=15494

·
Registered
29 Posts
sticker500 said:
Dear theButteredFist,

If you are getting a warning that the parking brake cable is not detected or a system malfunction, I can help you fix that. There is a trick on these units so you can watch them while driving, but it will involve taking the unit out and moving the mute wire in the audio harness. If they do it incorrectly, for example move the wire and then don't ground, you will get the improper brake message, blah blah. The funny part is they say it will go away. Now thats funny.

Look at the link below. I think this may be your problem.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=210604&anum=15494
sticker500,

excellent post. thanks.

i have not seen how they install it nor do i know how to read the diagram so i'm not sure what you mean by "watch them while driving."

what can i tell the installer/dealer besides showing the diagram? like .."hey, move the mute wire in the audio harness and ground it."?

thanks again for the suggested solution

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, show them the diagram.

They have to move the mute wire out of the harness to the location (which is empty) just above it. Then they ground that mute wire, with the parking brake cable and your problem will be solved.

Can you watch a DVD while driving?

·
Registered
487 Posts
How well do the aftermarket DVD/NAV integrate with the steering wheel controls and the entertainment system? If all integrates easily which unit did you use?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts