GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, does the factory NAV have a hard drive so you can download music? And also, the NAV data from the disc? Or do you have to have the DVD in the unit for it to work? Am considering getting the Pioneer Z3 instead. Anyone out there have that unit installed?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The factory nav is DVD-based. You have to have the DVD installed for it to work, but keep in mind there are two disc slots:

- Behind screen for the map DVD
- Above the screen to play CDs (or DVDs if you have the rear DVD option)

·
Registered
12 Posts
So if you do not have the rear seat entertainment option, you can not play DVD's in the Nav System or is it that you have to unload the Nav DVD behind the screen and use that slot instead of the CD slot to play DVDs?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe that not having rear seat entertainment means no playing DVDs in the nav (audio or video), although I could be wrong. I believe the NAV is physically different depending on rear seat entertainment or not.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No Hard Drive to download music or the disc data. I would really love a hard drive to load music onto, just 8 GB would be great but 40 GB would be better. :thumb:

·
Registered
250 Posts
right now the solution is mp3 player (just plug it in the aux jack), but i wouldn't mind having this hard disk option. :thumb:

·
Registered
101 Posts
The wife had her iPod plugged into the aux jack until I found that I could load her entire library on one 4.7G DVD disc...(I have no idea if the factory radio will read a double layer disc). Instead of reading the track information on the player, it now shows up on the nav screen, plus she has steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Phazer_II said:
The wife had her iPod plugged into the aux jack until I found that I could load her entire library on one 4.7G DVD disc...(I have no idea if the factory radio will read a double layer disc). Instead of reading the track information on the player, it now shows up on the nav screen, plus she has steering wheel controls.
Phazer, Does the track info show up on nav while driving or just while in park like watching a dvd? When track is displayed on nav screen can you touch the screen to move from one track to another? What you have done sounds a lot better than just using the ipod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The track information is on the screen whenever the song is playing, (if the display isn't on nav), plus it initially shows up on the HUD for a few seconds. I've never set up folders or anything...to navigate through the songs we just hit the up or down arrows on the steering wheel, or the right or left seek on the radio. Generally, we just keep it on random selection...if a song comes up we don't feel like listening to, a new one is just a button away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
that sounds great I'am going to try that

·
Registered
101 Posts
...GTO...(I had a '67)...if you're working with an iPod library you'll want to do a search here on "track information" and such. Although an iPod is a MP3 player, the coding is proprietary...there's a few tricks before burning a disc to make the information show up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well i will tell you i'm technology challenged, i will have to get my son to do it for me. The pal sounds good but maybe a bit pricey.

·
Registered
185 Posts
To answer the question above about DVD's you cannot use the map slot for anything other than the map disc. If you did not get the rear seat entertainment package then you have a different radio that does not play DVD's at all.

I tried to make an MP3 disc once and found that every time the car started it took several minutes to load the disc information. This was a major problem unless you were on a longer trip and could be patient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts