GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there have been some questions about the Acadia's handling in snow I thought I'd post some comments following a 2-day trip (that was supposed to be a 1-day trip). I live in CO and I just finished a 425 mile trip through the state where MUCH of the state has been shut down due to a storm. We had to stay unexpectedly in Craig, CO (about the 1/2 way point for this trip) because road closures were preventing us from getting home.

The Acadia performed FLAWLESSLY through virtually any sort of winter driving imaginable. We had whiteouts, snowpacked roads, icy roads, etc. We crossed probably 4 passes - going as high as 12,000 ft.

The best feature BY FAR for this kind of driving is the ability to downshift using the thumb selector on the shifting column. There were many times I was headed downhill (downhill into a turn is worse) where I wanted to slow down but didn't want to touch the brakes. A flick of the thumb downshifted and slowed down the car. It was fabulous.

I've lived in CO essentially my entire life and this is *BY FAR* the best snow car I've ever owned.

j

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the post. I've been wanting to take mine out for a little snow testing. I'm only about 20 minutes from some higher elevations but havn't had a chance to get up there yet. Sounds like she'll (my Acadia) handle just fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm leaving for a trip to Bend, OR and there is going to be HUGE storm coming in the day I plan on leaving (10 hour) trip. This should be interesting ;]. I've heard a lot of good things about handling so I'm looking forward to the drive. Though it will be slow going.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
fryer209 said:
I'm leaving for a trip to Bend, OR and there is going to be HUGE storm coming in the day I plan on leaving (10 hour) trip. This should be interesting ;]. I've heard a lot of good things about handling so I'm looking forward to the drive. Though it will be slow going.
You show .. 2008 Acadia SLT2 in Crimson Metallic, Titanium Leather, 19" Wheels, Navigation, XM, Trailering, Dual Sky Scape, Rear DVD Entertainment, Remote Start, Power Lift Gate, Heads Up Display, Backup Camera ...

Is it FWD or AWD?? Either way, let us know how it does.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i just returned from a trip from dallas to wolf creek in colorado. we left on Christmas day and returned on dec 30th. i have a 2 wheel drive with the 19 inch tires (cold tire pressures ranged from 33-35, hot pressures ranged from 36-40). our acadia was fully loaded with 4 and all the ski stuff we could pack into the back. some observations:

- i tried to pack the heavy stuff towards the middle of the vehicle (between the axles); by doing that, the acadia felt very stable, even though you could definitely feel the difference when compared to it when not loaded up.
- the overall mpg was 22.8; i thought this was very good considering the weight we were carrying and that we made 4 trips up and over wolf creek pass on icy, snow packed roads.
- a couple of interesting items on mpg; we filled up in childress (in texas, very flat) just as a cold front was coming in; i reset all the numbers in the dic; when we hit the road again, i set the cruise on 70 and we were going into about a 25 mph mostly head wind; with the weight and the head wind, every tiny incline caused a downshift to 5th and the fuel economy was hanging about 17.5; now, flash forward a few days to our return trip; we stopped on I40 in Santa Rosa in New Mexico and filled up and reset all the dic info; this time, running down I40 fully loaded at 75 on cruise with a 25 tail wind, the fuel economy rose to 28.8 (and was still slowly rising)before some pretty good sized hills knocked it down to about 27; i've never had a vehicle with fuel economy information like this, but i wonder if all vehicles are similarly effected by wind???
- our outside temp gauge froze up a few times, and i wonder if it has a low limit; one morning we drove through pagosa springs on our way to wolf creek ski area; a bank thermometer in pagosa showed a bone chilling -28, but our temp gauge only went to -20; by the way, it never got about +12 the entire time we were there; thank god for heated seats!!
- i will not say that the traction on icy, snow packed roads is great, but we managed to avoid any problems; it was easy to spin the tires if you accelerated a little too much, so we just took it easy and smiled as all the big 4x4's with snow tires blew past us; my wife drove up the mountain each day and had very little problem with the uphill drive; i drove down and kept it mostly in 2nd gear (about 25-30 mph) all the way, which allowed me to use very little brake (i was switching to 1st on a couple of the switchback turns and to 3rd on some of the less hilly areas); as someone else mentioned in a previous post, the "L" setting is great for driving in ice and snow.
- xm is wonderful on long trips (60's, 70's, 80's, big tracks, and the greatest of all: 24/7 led zeppelin); the kids were in the back listening to hannah montana cd's and watching movies (with headphones, whew!).

all in all, a great trip. 1900+ miles, 5 days of below freezing (mostly below 10) weather, icy/snow packed roads, some great turns on the slopes, no broken bones, 22+ mpg, and comfort for all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
texas123 said:
but i wonder if all vehicles are similarly effected by wind???
Sounds like a great trip, maybe a little cold though. Glad you made it back safely, winter roads can be very unfriendly.

In my experience wind can affect any vehicle, just to varying degrees. Also, even a very gradual elevation change can affect gas mileage, even if the terrain seems flat. Put wind and elevation changes together and it's sometimes hard to figure out what each one is contributing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm glad to know you didn't have any problem with the FWD. We are thinking about doing about the same thing you did. We wanted to drive, but have the FWD and were a little concerned about the drive.

Sound like you had a great time!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You will find better traction w factory 18's[M/S], in snow conditions if you have 40lbs cold. If you have snow tires or not, I keep 40lbs cold all during our winter season. It opens up the tread design for maximum bite. You certainly don't want to close up the tread with low tire pressure thus making the tire tread smooth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting -- I just returned from Keystone Colorado and saw only 1 Acadia in a parking lot at Keystone. During our two trips between Denver and Keystone on I-70, we saw zero Acadias or Enclaves! Suburbans, Tahoes and Sequoias seem to rule out there!

·
Registered
118 Posts
i only saw one other in pagosa springs/wolf creek and it was a local with AWD.

FYI, Wolf Creek just got 40" of snow in the last 24 hours. i bet negotiating wolf creek pass is fun today!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this review of your Acadia. I currently drive a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT with 118,000 miles on it and feel it is time to trade it in and get something different. The Acadia has caught my eye as I really like the styling, the ride, and it's performance as I have test drove a few. My only doubt has been the AWD system vs a true four wheel drive system. I live in Madison, WI where we have no shortage of long, cold, and snowy winters. With the Envoy, I have never been stuck in snow and it has performed tremendously in snows up to twenty inches in depth. I will also let you know that I do NOT have snow tires but just your basic Bridgestone Duelers HD's. I also drive out west every year to go skiing and have had all the confidence in the world when it comes to driving in horrible winter conditions in my Envoy. Reading your review of the Acadia may have convinced me to purchase the 2012 GMC Acadia SLT that I have been looking a buying as it may have eased any doubt I might have had about winter driving conditions and the Acadia. Driving in the winter in Colorado can be a challenge but if you want to enjoy the slopes you just have to grin and bear it. Thanks for your review and I hope the recent snow is helping with the drought conditions.

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
texas123 said:
- a couple of interesting items on mpg; we filled up in childress (in texas, very flat) just as a cold front was coming in; i reset all the numbers in the dic; when we hit the road again, i set the cruise on 70 and we were going into about a 25 mph mostly head wind; with the weight and the head wind, every tiny incline caused a downshift to 5th and the fuel economy was hanging about 17.5; now, flash forward a few days to our return trip; we stopped on I40 in Santa Rosa in New Mexico and filled up and reset all the dic info; this time, running down I40 fully loaded at 75 on cruise with a 25 tail wind, the fuel economy rose to 28.8 (and was still slowly rising)before some pretty good sized hills knocked it down to about 27; i've never had a vehicle with fuel economy information like this, but i wonder if all vehicles are similarly effected by wind???
You bet they are - it only makes sense! Once, I took a trip in my little car (a Datsun 310GX) from Denver to Houston. Going "downhill" and essentially downwind, I achieved about 55 mpg on several tanks of gas. My mileage on the return trip averaged out at around 32 mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts