GMC Acadia Forum banner

Anyone added extended range Remote to existing Remote start?

• OEM Extended range Remote Start

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket Long range Remote Start

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added either OEM or aftermarket long range remote start to an existing remote system? I have an 08 Acadia and the factory standard remote sucks...75 foot range. I had an aftermarket on my trade-in that worked at 3000 !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Extended Range Remote

Talked to a parts guy at a dealership about one. He said it takes about 4 hours to install. The price is the unit plus the 4 hours to install. He thought it wasn't worth doing. But that was him. Let us know how you like it if you do it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Beretta said:
Has anyone added either OEM or aftermarket long range remote start to an existing remote system? I have an 08 Acadia and the factory standard remote sucks...75 foot range. I had an aftermarket on my trade-in that worked at 3000 !
I have an aftermarket remote start on my Vibe and I totally agree. Compared to the aftermarket system the remote start range that comes with the Acadia just point blank does not compare. Even with that, I probably will not do anything to upgrade the Acadia as it starts fine in my garage and at work I park close to the building and have no problems there either.

Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I added the advanced remote start to my Acadia and my Sierra. I haven't actually tried 3000 ft, but I have stepped off 300 yards (900 ft.) and it worked fine. I paid 250 each, installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Bought mine yesterday, the cost for mine (w/ AP3) , remote cargo entry, was $150 and the install cost according to GM is 1.4hrs. That install price is set by GM, as stated on the same line as the price for the Key FOB, $117.60. This brings the total price with install to $267.60. There is another key FOB for the AP6 package and it is priced @ $250.

I will let you know what the range is when it is installed.

P.S. I will try to get the install guide from them when they are finished.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Beretta said:

Here is another thread where this system has been discussed. I put a link in one of my replies where you can buy it for $150.
There is a pretty good information of the features by one member.

·
Registered
87 Posts

skyhawk said:
Talked to a parts guy at a dealership about one. He said it takes about 4 hours to install. The price is the unit plus the 4 hours to install. He thought it wasn't worth doing. But that was him. Let us know how you like it if you do it.
The number I see most often is 1.9 hours to install the GM Accessories Advanced Two Way Remote. Four hours sounds high. This parts guy probably has never seen the service managers labor charge book..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the inputs....as the no dealer I talk to quote an operating range other than "three times the normal range" I'm looking at a Clifford MATRIX 50.5x 900mhz with a 1 mile range. past experience with FM remotes tells me this will be good for at least 2/3 that with metal /concrete obstructions in the line of sight. I'll let you know what the actual is!

·
Registered
294 Posts

What is the use of a remote that works from a mile away? If the remote could start it and then drive the vehicle to my location, maybe. Would be helpful when I go to the Nascar race at Texas Motor Speedway. :drunk:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

I've wondered the same thing. I added a "super long range" (I think they advertise 3000 Meters) system to my '91 Dodge and thought well maybe if it worked like the thing on Knight Rider where the car comes to you... a mile is a long way to walk! I've not tested it over more than the normal 3~500' range, I didn't buy it for this feature, but the ability to work inside of buildings is a plus.

·
Registered
22 Posts

When I bought my Acadia, which came with the advanced remote, they had just unloaded it off the truck. The salesman went and found the box that the advanced remote was shipped in. (They actually shipped the remote seperately from the factory, since the advanced remote is dealer installed.) When he opened the box, it contained the remote and the receiver module. All the service department mechanic had to do was plug the advanced remote receiver module into the wiring harness. It actually took them less than one hour to install it.

I haven't had the chance to do a range test though.

My two cents. :thumb:

·
Registered
662 Posts
2-way remote: how long to program it?

I'm bringing in my Acadia tomorrow to have a 2-way remote (early Christmas gift from my wife!) programmed by the dealer. He told me it will take a couple of hours to program. Is that about right? Has anyone else had it done? I don't want to go there not knowing what to expect for labor charges (the remote was $150; I already have remote start feature). ???

Thanks for helping me out!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Topic merged[/color]

Discussion about install times in this thread.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sorry, didn't see it right away... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
No problem, that is what we are all here for, to help :thumb:

Oh and please take photos of where they install the antenna!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts