GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my eye on a specific wheel that is capable of being drilled to the 6x132 bolt pattern. Earlier this month I contacted the distributor to inquire about purchasing. They told me the manufacturer did not have blanks available yet and that it would be about a month before they would have them.

I decided to give them a call today even though it hadn't been a full month just to keep them on their toes and try my luck that they would be available early. The answer I got was that the 6x132 are not available and that they "won't be a for a long time". However as an option the salesman offered me a 6x135 bolt pattern which they would then "insert" to a 6x132... ???

He explained it like this. The will oval out the holes 2mm on the same machine they use to custom drill and then insert a steel piece to make them round again in the correct 6x132. Seems rather unsafe to me, however he claims to have this on his own personal vehicle and acheived up to 140 mph in his G35 Coupe...something he wouldn't have done had he felt it was unsafe. Whatever, typical young guy salesman was my thought. But the company is http://www.wheelsnext.com and they are endorsed by the Better Business Bureau and SEMA so it is a legit company, not some shady operation.

So has anyone heard of this in the wheel industry, perhaps our friend Stuey from MHT can offer some insight? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting something like this on my family hauler...but if it is a common practice and proven to be structurally sound, I feel more confident to go ahead and order. Just need some peace of mind from a more experienced/knowledgeable person. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Steel inserts in aluminum wheels? Not only would they expand and contract at different rates (as in heat generated during driving and braking), but also electrolysis issues. I would think the aluminum would eventually get "eaten" out and then the steel inserts would be sloppy in their "oval" holes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
smwilli said:
Steel inserts in aluminum wheels? Not only would they expand and contract at different rates (as in heat generated during driving and braking), but also electrolysis issues. I would think the aluminum would eventually get "eaten" out and then the steel inserts would be sloppy in their "oval" holes.
:ditto: as most of us i bet are in the same situation having found the right set of rim design just not the right bolt pattern....... :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not completely sure if this is what you're talking about or not... but I know back in the old days.. they'd make aluminum wheels w/ oval slots.. and then you used different steel washers w/ the holes in different spots.. or rotate the oval washer to adjust the bolt pattern... you had to use Cragar style lug nuts too. Think this was done on Cragars ect... Nothing new. Don't know if it's something I'd do on a modern vehicle or not..

See the washers in the below page and you can see what I'm talking about...
http://www.cragarwheel.com/catalogs_lugnuts.html

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...didn't even think about the metal composition. I suppose I should have asked more questions, but he kinda threw me off with this notion. The guy didn't really seem like he cared, it was just a typical fast-talking sales guy(no offense to any sales people here ;D). In fact he put me on hold just long enough to check his stock, not call the manufacturer to confirm ship dates. I'll try to call back tomorrow or next week to inquire more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts