GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an owner of a 2017 Acadia SLT and was reviewing a maintenance schedule provide by GMC and it show an item at 45,000 to Inspect evaporative control system. Can anyone tell me what that inspection entails? Are there parts that may need replacing? - if so what are they? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I am an owner of a 2017 Acadia SLT and was reviewing a maintenance schedule provide by GMC and it show an item at 45,000 to Inspect evaporative control system. Can anyone tell me what that inspection entails? Are there parts that may need replacing? - if so what are they? Thanks.
The only things that come to mind for me are the evap canister and purge solenoid. There may be more along with tubes and fittings and electrical connections. A factory maintenance manual would help. Also, you can buy a short term subscription online to a maintenance manual for things like this. A google search might help.
Others with more infor might chime in also.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
788 Posts
I would inspect the Catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, purge solenoid & EVAP canister as well as all associated wiring and tubing for signs of wear or damage. I’m sure there is something I am missing but hope that helps. Jaytee hit the nail on the head with the subscription to a online repair manual. A lot of what is available online leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
FWIW, the EVAP system starts at the gas cap and ends where fuel vapors are purged into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This system is something I need to/ would like to learn more about!

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
... Can anyone tell me what that inspection entails? Are there parts that may need replacing? - if so what are they?
It's a visual inspection of readily accessible components, hoses, and hose/electrical connections along with a test of solenoids and control valves - most of the system resides on top of the fuel tank. Solenoids and control valves can be tested with a scantool (Tech 2, or similar). There aren't any preventive maintenance items which need to be replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a visual inspection of readily accessible components, hoses, and hose/electrical connections along with a test of solenoids and control valves - most of the system resides on top of the fuel tank. Solenoids and control valves can be tested with a scantool (Tech 2, or similar). There aren't any preventive maintenance items which need to be replaced.
Thanks to everyone for their input - very informative. Looks like there are a bunch of error codes if something malfunctions. Hope I don't see any of those soon.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their input - very informative. Looks like there are a bunch of error codes if something malfunctions. Hope I don't see any of those soon.
You won't have too much to worry about unless you spill a bunch of fuel into the inlet at the top of the filler neck. HiYo (my Acadia) never displayed any problems with the system in 13 years. Luckily, the '17 and newer models are designed with ways to minimize even accidental overfills.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You won't have too much to worry about unless you spill a bunch of fuel into the inlet at the top of the filler neck. HiYo (my Acadia) never displayed any problems with the system in 13 years. Luckily, the '17 and newer models are designed with ways to minimize even accidental overfills.
So that's why you can't fill the tank all the way up. I have been able to squeeze a couple more gallons of gas in the tank after the gas pump nozzle clicks off. I guess I better not try and squeeze more gas in after the pump clicks off.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
So that's why you can't fill the tank all the way up. I have been able to squeeze a couple more gallons of gas in the tank after the gas pump nozzle clicks off. I guess I better not try and squeeze more gas in after the pump clicks off.
How much fuel is accepted depends a lot on the attitude of the vehicle (nose up - nose down). I try to put my vehicle in a 'nose up' position whenever I can - it seems to work best. Even the slightest change in grade at the pump island can make a difference from what I've observed. BTW, I 'fast click' then 'slow click' to get the most fuel in the tank. The tank will take more on slow click if I let the "froth" in the tank settle out beforehand. With HiYo, the slow click would net another 2-3 gallons - not so much with the XT5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would happen if one did get gas in the inlet say from adding fuel from can without special funnel. Cause now it won’t take fuel 10 cents at a time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts