GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,
I'm in the need of help. I just purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia with 160k on the odometer. I'm only the second owner of this vehicle and the previous owners were extremely vigilant with regular maintenance. I've had the car a month and have had no issues. Unfortunately this past weekend I drove to work and everything was fine. When I left to go home the car wouldn't start. I initially thought maybe it was a dead battery. One of my coworkers tried giving me a jump but still just got a single click and nothing else. I checked the starter fuse and swapped the relay but still the same result. I had to have it towed to a shop and now I'm being told my engine is seized. Is this possible? I had no signs of a failing engine or power loss codes etc. One item to note.. I had the battery checked and it was at 60%. NAPA put it on charge until it reached 100%. It tested good and I reinstalled the battery. Still same single click but no crank. Today the battery was completely dead. So I purchased a new one but same result again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It's unusual for an engine to seize without warning, but it can happen. Let the shop's tech do a proper diagnosis.

Reactions: Drhino709

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I agree it would be unusual for an engine to seize without some warning.

Is it at a dealer or an independent shop?

High mileage, 13 year old vehicle could be any number of failures. Bad/corroded/loose grounds, bad starter, fuse box corrosion all immediately come to mind. If not at a dealer, might be time to have a dealer look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it would be unusual for an engine to seize without some warning.

Is it at a dealer or an independent shop?

High mileage, 13 year old vehicle could be any number of failures. Bad/corroded/loose grounds, bad starter, fuse box corrosion all immediately come to mind. If not at a dealer, might be time to have a dealer look at it.
It was at NAPA they have a service center there. However they told me they can't do this kind of work. I got charged $120 just to be told they can't fix it. Just had it towed to another mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
21,966 Posts
It was at NAPA they have a service center there. However they told me they can't do this kind of work. I got charged $120 just to be told they can't fix it. Just had it towed to another mechanic.
Wise decision. Hope they find out it's something less severe than a seized engine. Don't be too upset about the diagnostic charge. No one should be expected to work for free. I've always offered a shop 2 hours labor for anything requiring time to figure out and get an estimate to me. Found I got better service that way.

Reactions: Drhino709
1 - 5 of 5 Posts