GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
I'm on vacation here in San Antonio, TX; parked the Acadia at a friend's house on an incline with 1/4 tank..................parked on the incline for 5 minutes and went out to move it and it wouldn't start. Rolled her down off the incline and it started

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here. I used my remote start and warm up my 08 Acadia and put my kids in the their car seats. the car was parked on an incline nose up high with one tick showing on the gas gauge. After 5 minutes the car shut off as indicated in the manual. To this point everything was ok. I tried to start the car using the remote again but it wouldn't turn over. I figured it was the remote start system. I continued to try starting the car manually but still it wouldn't start. I tried for the for three days straight without it starting. I called dealer and they said to take the vehicle in by calling thier tow service. When the tow truck came I tried to start vehicle while still on incline>no luck. The tow truck positioned the tow and when the Acadia rolled back to be placed on the tow truck (level position) I had him try it and it kicked over! I took it in to the dealer regardless just to see if they have anything to tell me. I am waiting to here from them. I just glad I don't live in San Francisco!

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Wow; you dug up my old post. Anyway there is nothing wrong with your Acadia; this is a design issue with the fuel tank it the fuel pickups. If you park on an incline nose up with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, the engine won't turn over because it isn't getting any gas. I see that it started once the vehicle was level. You can go get your Acadia now and tell your dealer you that you resolved your problem on your own :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree, my wife ran out of gas coming home, her light was not on for low fuel but the car died on a steep hill and then the light came on... I coasted it back to a level driveway and it started up... I told her that was good old male ability. I drove it down the hill and topped it off and never did it again... Plus I told her not to let the tank get that low... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
I will say that if you back up the hill; meaning the front of the vehicle is pointed down instead of up; then it will start. I tried this after remembering reading about this issue and all was well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This was a big issue for me as my driveway was on an incline. People suggested I shouldn't have less than a quarter tank at all times. Life gets hectic, so that's not always possible. Anyway, I proved them wrong, turns out all I had to do was buy a new house with a flat driveway. LOL ;D

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Irish said:
This was a big issue for me as my driveway was on an incline. People suggested I shouldn't have less than a quarter tank at all times. Life gets hectic, so that's not always possible. Anyway, I proved them wrong, turns out all I had to do was buy a new house with a flat driveway. LOL ;D
Nice work, I would have never thought of that :thumb:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The "new" driveway probably made getting in/out in winter much easier w/o the hill. : ;D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Murdock said:
The "new" driveway probably made getting in/out in winter much easier w/o the hill. : ;D
You got that right! In all seriousness, still associate problems like this with older vehicles and am disappointed that any Acadia has this issue. But overall the vehicle pros out number the cons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys - I see nobody talks about that issue no more, but I got my Acadia couple month ago and that happened to me couple of days ago. My wife parked the Acadia on our driveway, which is on a pretty good incline, nose up and the vehicle didn't start next day when I tried to move it. She can not back it up in there to get the nose down - she tried it once and half of the vehicle was on my grass ::) so don't suggest that as a workaround. I had to go to a gas station with my other car and after I put 5gal in, it starter fine. Then we went to fuel it up and it topped off at 13 gal more. So it took 18gal total. For the 22gal tank I had at least 4gal in there and it acted as empty ???

So is there a fix for this not starting on a hill issue by now, since its been going on for a while?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Firebird! said:
Hey guys - I see nobody talks about that issue no more, but I got my Acadia couple month ago and that happened to me couple of days ago. My wife parked the Acadia on our driveway, which is on a pretty good incline, nose up and the vehicle didn't start next day when I tried to move it. She can not back it up in there to get the nose down - she tried it once and half of the vehicle was on my grass ::) so don't suggest that as a workaround. I had to go to a gas station with my other car and after I put 5gal in, it starter fine. Then we went to fuel it up and it topped off at 13 gal more. So it took 18gal total. For the 22gal tank I had at least 4gal in there and it acted as empty ???

So is there a fix for this not starting on a hill issue by now, since its been going on for a while?

Thanks
I haven't heard of a fix to this point; one member had their fuel pump replaced with a "new and improved" pump and still experienced this issue.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Firebird! said:
For the 22gal tank I had at least 4gal in there and it acted as empty ???

Thanks
Lay down on your back-- and take a look at the size and shape of the tank... its big...
4 gallons of gas- spread out over that surface area- leaves you with a level of fuel that isnt 'deep'.
now- add an incline- and those 4 gallons- are now towards the rear of the tank- sounds like the fuel pickup is maybe in the middle or front...

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
rbarrios said:
Lay down on your back-- and take a look at the size and shape of the tank... its big...
4 gallons of gas- spread out over that surface area- leaves you with a level of fuel that isnt 'deep'.
now- add an incline- and those 4 gallons- are now towards the rear of the tank- sounds like the fuel pickup is maybe in the middle or front...
Poor design - hard to imagine how that happens these days.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
pretty much comes down to making a 22 or so gallon tank- fit in the area---

same thing with the washer fluid bottles.... ever see those? weird shapes too...
many times theyre visible on cars that have been in a front end fender bender and the bumper has been torn off---
you can see this huge bottle-- odd shape.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
heres the tank of a 2010 Acadia on the left--- and an Envoy EXT-- the 8 pass one- fuel tank on the right...

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It's been awhile since this was updated, but GM released a new bulletin earlier this week for this issue. There is yet another fuel pump design, apparently with an improved check valve, to address this problem.

#PIT4574F: Crank No Start After Parking On An Incline When The Fuel Level Is Low - (Jan 30, 2012)

Subject:

Crank No Start After Parking On An Incline When The Fuel Level Is Low

Models:

2008 - 2012 Buick Enclave
2009 - 2012 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 - 2012 GMC Acadia
2007 - 2010 Saturn Outlook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update recommended field with correct part numbers. Please discard PIT4574E.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of an intermittent crank no start, or start and then stall when the fuel level is low (typically less than 1/8th tank) and the vehicle are parked for an extended period of time (more than 12 Hours) on an incline.

The design of the fuel tank will allow fuel to migrate to the end of the tank when the vehicle is parked on an incline. This may prevent the fuel system from drawing fuel out of the tank because the fuel pick up is no longer submerged in fuel. If the fuel pump module reservoir check valve allows fuel to leak out of the reservoir, insufficient fuel will be available to start the vehicle or allow the engine to run following a start.

If this happens while the vehicle is parked on an incline with a low fuel level condition, the fuel may not be drawn into the fuel system. If fuel is added to the tank or the vehicle is rolled to a flat surface, the vehicle will start because the fuel module is now submerged in fuel.

Recommendation/Instructions:

For 2009-2012 Model year replace the fuel pump assembly with P/N 22833390.
Follow service information for Fuel Tank Module Replacement. The fuel level sensor will need to be transferred to the new pump.

For 2007-2008 Model year replace the fuel pump assembly with P/N 19259370.
Follow service information for Fuel Tank Module Replacement. The fuel level sensor will need to be transferred to the new pump.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
:thumb: As always thanks for the great information!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem, 2015 Acadia. Dealership claims this older service bulletin does not cover 2015 models. Is there a similar bulletin for the 2015?
Parked on steep incline, nose first. Near 1/8th tank. Dealer charged for several services unrelated. Hoping the issue will not occur again.
Thanks.

This topic has been covered in bits a pieces over at least 3 threads, so I thought I'd start a new one for this info. Some members have commented that their Acadias (or any Lambda) won't start after being parked on an incline if the fuel level is fairly low. The previous GM document relating to this stated that Engineering was aware of the concern and working on a fix. Well, the fix is finally out - a new fuel pump assembly that holds fuel better so that more will be available to start the vehicle after it has been sitting.

#PIT4574C: Crank No Start After Parking On An Incline When The Fuel Level Is Low - keywords hill int intermittent tank - (Jun 2, 2009)

Subject: Crank No Start After Parking On An Incline When The Fuel Level Is Low

Models: 2008-2009 Buick Enclave
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2009 GMC Acadia
2007-2009 Saturn Outlook
This PI was superseded to now include the recommended repairs

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of an intermittent crank no start, or start and then stall when the fuel level is low (typically less than 1/8th tank) and the vehicle is parked for an extended period of time (more than 12 Hours) on an incline. The design of the fuel tank will allow fuel to migrate to the end of the tank when the vehicle is parked on an incline. This may prevent the fuel system from drawing fuel out of the tank because the fuel pick up is no longer submerged in fuel.

If the fuel pump module reservoir check valve allows fuel to leak out of the reservoir, insufficient fuel will be available to start the vehicle or allow the engine to run following a start. If this happens while the vehicle is parked on an incline with a low fuel level condition, the fuel may not be drawn into the fuel system. If fuel is added to the tank or the vehicle is rolled to a flat surface, the vehicle will start because the fuel module is now submerged in fuel.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Replace the fuel pump module assembly, with the appropriate part number listed below.

Model Year
Part number
Description

2007-2008
Module Kit, F/Tnk F/Pmp

Module Kit, F/Tnk F/Pmp

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Same problem, 2015 Acadia. Dealership claims this older service bulletin does not cover 2015 models. Is there a similar bulletin for the 2015?
Haven't seen anything beyond revision 'G" of PIT4574 which doesn't include any car younger than 2012.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
20 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing