GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has been covered in bits a pieces over at least 3 threads, so I thought I'd start a new one for this info. Some members have commented that their Acadias (or any Lambda) won't start after being parked on an incline if the fuel level is fairly low. The previous GM document relating to this stated that Engineering was aware of the concern and working on a fix. Well, the fix is finally out - a new fuel pump assembly that holds fuel better so that more will be available to start the vehicle after it has been sitting.

#PIT4574C: Crank No Start After Parking On An Incline When The Fuel Level Is Low - keywords hill int intermittent tank - (Jun 2, 2009)

Subject: Crank No Start After Parking On An Incline When The Fuel Level Is Low

Models: 2008-2009 Buick Enclave
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2009 GMC Acadia
2007-2009 Saturn Outlook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to now include the recommended repairs

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of an intermittent crank no start, or start and then stall when the fuel level is low (typically less than 1/8th tank) and the vehicle is parked for an extended period of time (more than 12 Hours) on an incline. The design of the fuel tank will allow fuel to migrate to the end of the tank when the vehicle is parked on an incline. This may prevent the fuel system from drawing fuel out of the tank because the fuel pick up is no longer submerged in fuel.

If the fuel pump module reservoir check valve allows fuel to leak out of the reservoir, insufficient fuel will be available to start the vehicle or allow the engine to run following a start. If this happens while the vehicle is parked on an incline with a low fuel level condition, the fuel may not be drawn into the fuel system. If fuel is added to the tank or the vehicle is rolled to a flat surface, the vehicle will start because the fuel module is now submerged in fuel.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Replace the fuel pump module assembly, with the appropriate part number listed below.

Model Year
Part number
Description

2007-2008
Module Kit, F/Tnk F/Pmp

Module Kit, F/Tnk F/Pmp

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm one of those that has this issue! Thanks for the info, I'm calling the dealer today.

·
Registered
409 Posts
They won't fix unless they can duplicate the issue. Which means they are going to drain the gas, park it overnight on an incline and see what happens. WTF? :angryfire: Here's the deal. Sometimes it starts on less than 1/8 tank... sometimes it doesn't. So my luck it will start right up. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Irish said:
They won't fix unless they can duplicate the issue. Which means they are going to drain the gas, park it overnight on an incline and see what happens. WTF? :angryfire: Here's the deal. Sometimes it starts on less than 1/8 tank... sometimes it doesn't. So my luck it will start right up. :banghead:
Well that kinda sucks. Here's one case where I hope your vehicle doesn't start. ;D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The next time it does not start take a video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Irish said:
Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like they know it's an issue, it's a documented problem, there's a bulletin on it, there's recommended replacement parts. It would seem all these vehicles have the same tank and fuel pick-up components. Wouldn't they all act the same given the same conditions of fuel level and parking angle?
Why would it need to be "demonstrated" on an individual basis?

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
scannerman said:
Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like they know it's an issue, it's a documented problem, there's a bulletin on it, there's recommended replacement parts. It would seem all these vehicles have the same tank and fuel pick-up components. Wouldn't they all act the same given the same conditions of fuel level and parking angle?
Print out GeoHawk's original post and take it to them; you will be surprised what they might do

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Unless this is a new and improved part, I don't know that replacing the pump is going to solve the problem. Dry suctioning the pump may cause damage to the pump itself, but unless the fuel pick-up is redesigned, the only solution is to fill up the tank a little sooner.

·
Registered
481 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Unless this is a new and improved part, I don't know that replacing the pump is going to solve the problem. Dry suctioning the pump may cause damage to the pump itself, but unless the fuel pick-up is redesigned, the only solution is to fill up the tank a little sooner.
i agree.
i have an idea, fill it at 1/4 tank. i understand that you may be on a long trip every once in a while and that may be the exception, but city driving there should be no excuse...well except im broke. then i wonder if we are that broke, why are driving such a nice car ;D

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MedicRxDoc said:
Agreed. The document is not entirely clear on whether it is just a new assembly to fix a faulty check valve on that fuel tank, or a redesigned assembly.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
I realize that GM does some weird things, but I certainly wouldn't think they would post a fix without an improved part to counteract a fuel issue

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I always fill-up when the tank is 1/2 full. Minimizes any condensation that might accumulate over time while assuring we always have plenty of gas in the tank. None issue for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been told they will have to drain my tank and there is no way to put the gas back in. Wow, geniuses. Not letting them take a tank of gas. I'm feeling pretty beat down this week... I'll have to take it up another time when I feel more on my game.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Irish said:
I've been told they will have to drain my tank and there is no way to put the gas back in. Wow, geniuses. Not letting them take a tank of gas. I'm feeling pretty beat down this week... I'll have to take it up another time when I feel more on my game.
Have you experienced this problem? I would at least ask for the amount of gas they removed

·
Registered
87 Posts
scannerman said:
reading the TSB it looks to me like the problem exists "IF" the check valve allows fuel to drain.... so i would not assume we all have this problem. Until u experience the problem, u should assume the reservoir and valve work correctly, imho.

Irish said:
Note; the following info/advice is free.

Are you serious? just wait till you burn the gas down low before taking it in. Also, it would seem to me they would have to put some fuel in it to test it once the work is completed. Surely they'll put a couple gallons in atleast. If you lose say a 1/4 tank, 5gal and they put 2gal back in you lost 3 gal at $2.5/gal = $7.50. Is that really a big deal to you? if so, throw a fit with the service manager at the dealership until they agree to pay you $7.50 for fuel lost due to a warrantied failure. Still kind of a long shot, they probably don't HAVE to pay you, but they might. If throw a big enough fit you just might make a name and reputation for yourself at your local dealership... one that may not be worth the $7.50 you save.
I wouldn't complain about it, just be happy to have the fix correctly done. As someone else suggested Re-fuel at 1/4 tanks if going to be parking on a hill, Consider yourself as having a car with a 17gal tank instead of 22gal. But then on long trips/flat areas actually have 22gal tank.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
jiggly said:
reading the TSB it looks to me like the problem exists "IF" the check valve allows fuel to drain.... so i would not assume we all have this problem. Until u experience the problem, u should assume the reservoir and valve work correctly, imho.

Note; the following info/advice is free.

Are you serious? just wait till you burn the gas down low before taking it in. Also, it would seem to me they would have to put some fuel in it to test it once the work is completed. Surely they'll put a couple gallons in atleast. If you lose say a 1/4 tank, 5gal and they put 2gal back in you lost 3 gal at $2.5/gal = $7.50. Is that really a big deal to you? if so, throw a fit with the service manager at the dealership until they agree to pay you $7.50 for fuel lost due to a warrantied failure. Still kind of a long shot, they probably don't HAVE to pay you, but they might. If throw a big enough fit you just might make a name and reputation for yourself at your local dealership... one that may not be worth the $7.50 you save.
I wouldn't complain about it, just be happy to have the fix correctly done. As someone else suggested Re-fuel at 1/4 tanks if going to be parking on a hill, Consider yourself as having a car with a 17gal tank instead of 22gal. But then on long trips/flat areas actually have 22gal tank.
My 05 Envoy was in the shop twice for the fuel level sensor (which is in the tank). Both times when I picked up the vehicle I had a full tank of gas regardless of the level when I dropped it off. This is also the same dealer I bought the Acadia from. If I had to take in my Acadia; I would at least ask to see what their policy is regarding this type of work. To me it's not a big deal, but I would still ask for the gas replacement regardless of the price or how many gallons I could get. It's principal more than anything else

·
Registered
563 Posts
Irish said:
They should replace any fuel removed! The dealer should has the proper storage unit to remove,store,and replace fuel on a temporary basis.We always told the customer when you bring your vehicle in for this type of work to run the tank low to make it easier for us. Ask them where your drained fuel goes? The EPA may like to know.
I know when my Acadia was delivered to the dealer it was parked on a hill with the fuel gauge at 1 line above empty. It was there overnight. I stopped in on a Saturday and the salesman gave me the keys to check it out and it didn't start. I though they may have pulled a fuse or something during the prep. I never had a problem after that. I have run the tank low but never parked on an incline overnight. I will have to give that a try.

Bobby

·
Registered
481 Posts
hard to argue if the tank was full when you took it in.
on that note, we use to count the cranks and put the same cranks back in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 09 Acadia wouldn't start in the dealers lot because of this very issue. I didn't think anything of it at the time until it happened to me a couple of months ago. I had just about 1/8th of a tank and i was parked on an incline. Nose uphill. It took 2 gallons of gas to get it to start. Since then I try not to let it go below 1/4.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
20 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing