GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Acadia and after getting gas the car won’t start. It most of the time has to be jumped or turn the key on and off 5 times before trying to start it. Engine light is on with reading that a new gas cap is needed. I replaced the gas cap and it’s still doing it. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
When you say it "won't start" does this mean it does not crank (no starter action) or that the starter is turning over the motor and it fails to start?

Your comment on having to jump reads to me like a battery problem.

George

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turns over but fails to start. I can hear it trying to start it just don’t unless I either jump it or turn the key on and off 5 times. Only has an issue starting after getting gas.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Do you stop pumping gas when the pump shuts off or do you try to squeeze every last drop you can into the tank?

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
... Engine light is on with reading that a new gas cap is needed. I replaced the gas cap and it’s still doing it. What could be causing this?
I've read about this happening to someone else's vehicle. The problem wasn't a bad gas cap. It was deeper into the EVAP system - like a bad canister, leak somewhere, etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
I hope you can find someone who's proficient with diagnosing and repairing such problems. Please come back and let us know what it took to get you comfortable again driving your Acadia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This a not uncommon problem. The solution may be replacing the solenoid purge valve AC/Delco 214-1685.
GM# 12611801. As Speleos always reminds us, you can find lots of information using the search function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This a not uncommon problem. The solution may be replacing the solenoid purge valve AC/Delco 214-1685.
GM# 12611801. As Speleos always reminds us, you can find lots of information using the search function.
Buy a GM Part, I tried an aftermarket part with no luck
Kept failing on me

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Buy a GM Part, I tried an aftermarket part with no luck
Kept failing on me

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Agreed. The OEM replacement is cheap and is a Bosch.

However, I'm a little skeptical, can a bad purge solenoid actually cause the engine to not start? I could see a pressure leak being more of a culprit...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 Acadia and after getting gas the car won’t start. It most of the time has to be jumped or turn the key on and off 5 times before trying to start it. Engine light is on with reading that a new gas cap is needed. I replaced the gas cap and it’s still doing it. What could be causing this?
Replace the sensor that reads the gas tank pressure and regulated the related flap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purge valve. On top of intake. 10MM socket. Takes about 5 minutes to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts