GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acadia engine went KABOOM at 74,000 miles. Meticulous maintenance always maintained. Oil changes every 3000 miles.
Timing belts slipped, threw a piston in the plug and that’s all it took.
Mechanic said that V6 motor is a piece of **** from GM.
He said to rebuild would be just as if not more expensive than to put it a remanufactured engine.
So $6400.00 later it’s running again. Now the air has gone out.
Is there a class action lawsuit against GM for their in superior automobiles?
This is by far the worst the automobile that I’ve ever purchased. Yes I bought it new in 2012.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There was an extended warranty on the 2009 Enclave timing chains that would go up to 120,000 miles (or ten years I think). I've been changing my oil every 3,000 miles and I have about 89,000 miles on mine, but I'm worried how long it will last. Your experience doesn't give me much confidence. GM should be ashamed of the reliability of its vehicles. Too many MBAs cutting costs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was an extended warranty on the 2009 Enclave timing chains that would go up to 120,000 miles (or ten years I think). I've been changing my oil every 3,000 miles and I have about 89,000 miles on mine, but I'm worried how long it will last. Your experience doesn't give me much confidence. GM should be ashamed of the reliability of its vehicles. Too many MBAs cutting costs.
Best of luck with your Enclave. Yes they should be ashamed.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
These engines have chains, not belts. Did it/they jump multiple teeth? I'm curious what led to the failure. Did your mechanic mention if a tensioner was bad that caused it to jump?

How did the oil levels look during the 3,000 mile periods? Any consumption? One of the Acadias we had tended to consume more oil than the others.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’ve had a lot of GM vehicles over the years. There’s been the occasional issue but overall they’ve been excellent. The early 3.6 engines are unfortunately not that great.

As far as your AC, I’d be willing to bet your mechanic accidentally, by being clumsy, damaged the system during the engine swap. I’d push the issue with him. Especially after paying such a huge sum.

$6400 is a lot of bank. Think I would have gone used instead, saved thousands, and traded it after the engine warranty was over.

I’m hopeful that by my model year all the kinks are worked out.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I’ve had a lot of GM vehicles over the years. There’s been the occasional issue but overall they’ve been excellent. The early 3.6 engines are unfortunately not that great.

As far as your AC, I’d be willing to bet your mechanic accidentally, by being clumsy, damaged the system during the engine swap. I’d push the issue with him. Especially after paying such a huge sum.

$6400 is a lot of bank. Think I would have gone used instead, saved thousands, and traded it after the engine warranty was over.

I think the most mentioned issue with the '18 is the failed shifter micro switch. Had two failures of it on my '18.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I wouldn't bet on it myself. I have a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali AWD with 30K miles now. It was purchased new. I already had 2 major Air Conditioning Systems Replaced costing over $2300.00 total. The first failure occurred at 37 months with only about 14K miles. Oh, about a year later the engine oil pan was leaking and it had to be replaced. Not an inexpensive service. All my vehicle services were performed by a GMC Dealer.
P.S. At my last dealer service the following occurred:
1. Four new tires mounted with the tire manufactured date on the inside even though I asked for the date on the outside.
2. Air in tires should have been around 36lbs. Front left tire had 47lbs. and the rest of the tires had correct pressure.
3. Oil % on dash should have read 100% after the oil change. It read 55% remaining. Mechanic forgot to reset system.
4. All 4 new tires should have had the sticky tire information removed from the tires for customer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Acadia engine went KABOOM at 74,000 miles. Meticulous maintenance always maintained. Oil changes every 3000 miles.
He said to rebuild would be just as if not more expensive than to put it a remanufactured engine.
This is by far the worst the automobile that I’ve ever purchased. Yes I bought it new in 2012.
Bought a 2011 new. Full boat Denali. Traded it in 2018 with 62k on it. I was lucky to get $16k. I was afraid that it would leave me stranded and the extended warranty was over. The only new car I didn't keep for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
107,000 miles on my odo, and not much to speak of regarding maintenance, other than the manual recommended and some proactive stuff on my part (early trans flush, early brake and PS fluid changes, AC system top-off, air filters changed on time or ahead of schedule, etc.).

I may possibly have a thermostat going bad — looking into that currently.

I think all the techs who label the 3.6L HFV6 a dud are still fixated on the early model years. By 2013, they pretty much had it sorted out, and the 3.6L has continued to evolve for the LGX, LFY, and other variants, but the underlying system is the same. I'd rather have a GM naturally-aspirated HFV6 compared to a Chrysler Pentastar or Ford turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't bet on it myself. I have a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali AWD with 30K miles now. It was purchased new. I already had 2 major Air Conditioning Systems Replaced costing over $2300.00 total. The first failure occurred at 37 months with only about 14K miles. Oh, about a year later the engine oil pan was leaking and it had to be replaced. Not an inexpensive service. All my vehicle services were performed by a GMC Dealer.
P.S. At my last dealer service the following occurred:
1. Four new tires mounted with the tire manufactured date on the inside even though I asked for the date on the outside.
2. Air in tires should have been around 36lbs. Front left tire had 47lbs. and the rest of the tires had correct pressure.
3. Oil % on dash should have read 100% after the oil change. It read 55% remaining. Mechanic forgot to reset system.
4. All 4 new tires should have had the sticky tire information removed from the tires for customer.
Well, all vehicles have their issues number one. Number 2, I have a 2012 GMC Acadia with around 76K on the odometer and the only issue I have a with that is a wheel hub needing to be replaced and got that done by the dealership. Just because a few people are having issues with some Acadia doesn’t mean all are bad. It’s kinda weird how you guys say you take care of your engines and they miraculously blow up and where I have actually took care of my GMC Acadia and have had very little issues at all. If you take care of an engine, even if you take care of an engine, but you beat on it constantly, it will blow up early so…. I am a mechanic and I see this all the time where a customer says they take care of their vehicles but obviously not so that leads me to believe that 1 you either don’t take care of your vehicles like u say u do or u abuse you engine and beat on it. So when you decide to take care of you vehicles, any vehicle, you can talk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like I said in another reply, you can not abuse a vehicle and expect it to last. From the sounds of it, from a mechanics point of view, the person driving that Acadia was constantly doing hard accelerations and abusing the engine. Vehicles do have their issues, that’s part of owning a vehicle so suck it up. I have a my 2012 GMC Acadia since it was 3 years old with only 15,000 miles on it and the only issue I had with it was a wheel hub needing to be replaced. That’s it and now it has 76,000 miles on it with no issues and it runs awesome. So take care of your vehicles and don’t abuse them and they will last, trust me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your post simply bolsters my suggestion. Dealer techs are awful. My first 2018 lost it’s driveshaft at 70mph on the interstate because the GMC dealer tech didn’t properly torque the bolts! It was a very ugly situation but GM eventually bought it back.

I’m not saying your AC issues weren’t legitimate but rather that if something goes wrong immediately after an engine swap, the correlation is strong.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
Your post simply bolsters my suggestion. Dealer techs are awful. ...
I didn't see in the original post where a dealer tech worked on the vehicle. In my experience as both customer and dealership employee, dealer techs were a lot more conscientious about their work than many "mechanics" in outside shops.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I didn't see in the original post where a dealer tech worked on the vehicle. In my experience as both customer and dealership employee, dealer techs were a lot more conscientious about their work than many "mechanics" in outside shops.
Your experience is the same as mine......and a long time ago I was an owner and mechanic at one of those outside shops.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was referring to the bullet list of 4 items.

I will concede I used a strong assertion. Part of that “overstatement” is what I’ve lived through. Events change you.

In Dec 2017 my family was in our 2 month old 2018 Acadia going 75mph on I-75. All of a sudden a crash sound and then continual scraping sound as we try to get off the highway.

Later - As the saga unfolds on how this could happen, eventually the tech that worked on it says:

“we don’t work on AWD models much at our dealer and I couldn’t find the torque values”.

That makes you upset, as even an amateur home mechanic like me knows torque values exist for a reason and you don’t guess on critical components.

You realize you were one pothole away from the driveshaft catching on the roadway, twisting into the floor and either seriously hurting someone or causing a wreck.

I’ve kept quiet about what happened for over 3 years because it was so maddening at why it happened and so hurtful due to how the GM regional rep treated my wife and I after the incident. He refused to put a new driveshaft into the vehicle. Wanted us to accept the dinged and scraped one back. When I told him that a driveshaft that has whacked the concrete at 75mph is probably no longer true and could cause problems down the road, including oscillations damaging the rear diff or transmission life, and at the least is cosmetically trashed, he had the nerve to tell me that cars don’t last forever!

He was quite rude and not compassionate that we broke down 1000 miles from home due to incompetence of dealer staff. Type of person who shouldn’t be in customer relations. It was his attitude that made me then push for a replacement.

I’ll spare you the rest, but GM replaced that 2018 with another 2018 at no cost to us after a long battle. It was such a frustrating time in life I haven’t shared it here until now.

All because a tech incorrectly dealt with a check engine light. I’ll never know for sure, because I personally didn’t scan the car before taking it in, but I don’t even think the driveshaft needed to come out to replace the fuel module at rear of car that caused the check engine. Just going by dealer telling me it was a “fuel module” when I picked it up, the day before the fateful event.

Other examples of dealer work over the years:

1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Went in for airbag recall. Came out with inop cruise control. I found the wires were sliced right by the switch. Cleanly sliced.

1989 Regal. Went in for oil change. Next change we did ourselves. Had to destroy filter to get it off, it was so tight. Next change back at dealer, we asked, please don’t crank the filter on like last time. 300 miles later oil is squirting all over my uncles driveway as the filter came loose.

1999 Ford Contour SVT. Went in for a new clutch. Came out with a leaking oil pan. Didn’t even have seepage prior. Was told “things get bumped sometimes, it happens. $600 and we will fix it.”

1997 Cutlass Supreme Sedan. In for LIM gasket. Went to check on progress. Torn apart. Found injectors that were going to go back in, simply tossed on dirty shop floor. Maybe he was going to clean them off before reinstalling. Hopefully.

You’re right. To be fair, there are bad apples at independent shops and at dealers. I’ve only used well reviewed family owned and operated independents, and dealers. So my experiences are based on that. I’m sure if I tried John Does Corner Garage I’d be shocked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Mechanic said that V6 motor is a piece of **** from GM. "

Yep, that about sums it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We bought an 09 Acadia brand new off the lot before I had a chance to do research. Our problem is we don't put lots of miles on our cars. Just turned 85,000. So the 10 year deal on the warranty came first in my case. No engine or transmission problems...yet. Many other issues though. Well I said no engine problems. I meant mechanical. A GM mechanic I know who is very familiar with the 3.6 nightmare told me to check the oil often (I do anyway) and keep it a half quart over full to help with the timing chain situation. He's made a ton of money repairing Cadillac Northstar engines, especially head gaskets.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
We bought an 09 Acadia brand new off the lot before I had a chance to do research. Our problem is we don't put lots of miles on our cars. Just turned 85,000. So the 10 year deal on the warranty came first in my case. No engine or transmission problems...yet. Many other issues though. Well I said no engine problems. I meant mechanical. A GM mechanic I know who is very familiar with the 3.6 nightmare told me to check the oil often (I do anyway) and keep it a half quart over full to help with the timing chain situation. He's made a ton of money repairing Cadillac Northstar engines, especially head gaskets.
GM V6 engines come in many flavors. You are painting them as junk with too broad a brush. My son's first car was a 4th gen V6 Camaro. It had 196k miles when he sold it to get a Z/28. The V6 never had an issue.

If you check the owner's manual you find it is recommended to check the oil at every fill up. Oil consumption is part of the internal combustion process.

Agree there was money to be made in bullet proofing NorthStar engines.

·
Registered
320 Posts
GM V6 engines come in many flavors. You are painting them as junk with too broad a brush.
I think his mechanic and him are specifically talking about the high-feature V6's. I would hope so at least. The Buick (GM) V6 3800 Series was one of the best-selling, most-reliable engines of all time. At least during its production era.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Besides the LIM gasket problems my 3.1 1995 Cutlass (“3100”) made it past 300,000 miles! I did that job myself around 150,000 miles and used Fel Pro gaskets. Never had a problem again.
(The recurring nightmare on the W bodies was the rear disc brakes. )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts