GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to shed some light on what happened to my 2011 GMC Acadia SLE the other day....
I was cruising along at about 55 mph when it felt like the engine died for a second, then kept going on it's own. Cruised for another half mile or so then the engine just died, tried to restart in neutral as I was rolling but the battery was instantly dead. I coasted to a stop, tried to start in park but the battery was completely dead. I tried a jump pack but it wasn't enough, decided it must be a bad alternator/old battery combo. Called AAA and had it towed home. As soon as I tried jumping it at home the engine fired right up, but there was now a LOUD knocking sound coming from the lower end of the engine. I quickly shut it down, checked the oil (which I had checked only 1 week prior) and found it was 1 quart down, no bad color either. Filled the 1 quart, started it back up, still heard horrible knocking sounds.... Battery and alternator seem ok....
Does anyone know what could have happened??

·
Super Moderator
20,315 Posts
A bad piston wrist pin will produce the same type of sound.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Parts in engines wear out over time. Can't really predict when and not always why without a complete engine tear down.

·
Super Moderator
20,315 Posts
+1 No one can tell for sure without some kind of forensic analysis. In essence, an engine abuses itself internally each time it is started. Failure could occur at any time without any warning knock, too. I've seen engine (and transmission) failures in a few new vehicles as the cars/trucks were being delivered to the dealership. I've also seen some very high mileage vehicles with original parts pass through a dealership service department. "It's in the luck of the draw."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not a mechanically ignorant person, I know how an engine works and that they are far from perfect. That being said I do know how to take care of an engine, I have had many high mileage vehicles with little to no problems. This is the SECOND Acadia I have had this issue with, the first one was an '10 SL, it had basically the same thing happen out of nowhere with 112,000 miles on it, now the '11 SLE with 109,000 miles has it happen as well, no codes thrown, no warning lights. I have looked it up and found other people have had similar problems with no actual reason found as to why. I even found 2 stories of Acadia owners merely changing a dead battery to find the engine knocking upon restart. It seems to me that this engine has some flaws that need to be addressed. Does anyone out there have an actual answer or just vague responses????

·
Super Moderator
20,315 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
None of us can hear the sound in person, we didn't drive it, the vehicle is not in front of us, we're all just fellow Acadia owners... there's only so much assistance or guidance any member here can offer. To be sure you'll have to bring it into a mechanic.
Has the timing chain ever been replaced? If you had another with "basically the same thing happen" what was that vehicle's outcome?

·
Super Moderator
20,315 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Be careful when you close the door.
Or as the old saying goes "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out"

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I am not a mechanically ignorant person, I know how an engine works and that they are far from perfect. That being said I do know how to take care of an engine, I have had many high mileage vehicles with little to no problems. This is the SECOND Acadia I have had this issue with, the first one was an '10 SL, it had basically the same thing happen out of nowhere with 112,000 miles on it, now the '11 SLE with 109,000 miles has it happen as well, no codes thrown, no warning lights. I have looked it up and found other people have had similar problems with no actual reason found as to why. I even found 2 stories of Acadia owners merely changing a dead battery to find the engine knocking upon restart. It seems to me that this engine has some flaws that need to be addressed. Does anyone out there have an actual answer or just vague responses????
What actual answer do you want? You have a 10 year old vehicle with 109k miles. Without tearing down the engine people on the internet can only speculate.

If it is a spun bearing, bearings generally spin due to a lack of lubrication. There can be a number of things that can cause a lack of lubrication.

Sorry we disappoint you but your expectations seem way too high.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
All's well that ends well.

Sorry it wasn't much help for OP, but how was the vehicle maintained?

Proper oil change intervals? Oil levels checked regularly? etc. . . . Issues with the early 3.6L V6 are pretty evident on many forums.

Mostly. . . if the previously owned 2010 SL had the "same" problem. . . have to wonder why wait till now to ask questions? Joined in April of 2018.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What brand of Oil filter did he use? I bet he used an inferior oil filter and the least expensive oil he could buy. I had an 08 with 212,000 miles, never a lubrication problem, Mobil 1 all the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Running a quart low makes the oil run hotter, that causes more wear. In my working life I have seen the internals of thousands of engines, most makes and brands Heavy Duty and Automotive. You can usually tell clearly how an engine was maintained as soon as you pull the pan off. Most owners never figure out that running low on oil for less than one minute can cause failure right away or start damage that kills the engine within the next 1,000 miles. Same with a overheat. One short overheat can kill an otherwise perfect engine but the owner will say, I saw the light come on but I was only 1 mile from the next offramp. Sorry but that is one expensive mile.

My brother in law is no dummy but we had a chat recently, he is 63 years old, he always thought that if the oil level is between the lines it is perfect. Even if it was barely touching the bottom of the oil add mark he thought it was fine. He is wrong, keep it near full but not overfilled and that is perfect. Any less is letting the engine run hotter everyday. When you tear these down the hotter oil will be cooked inside the engine on many surfaces. Shortens the engine life. If the engine is marginal to begin with or the factory chose to use the newer low priced off shore engine bearings having perfect oil is even more important. Sorry to rant but this is what it is.

I am currently replacing the engine on an Acadia, inside it looks actually really clean at 134,000 miles but ONE time they ran it low on oil and spun a bearing. I also found one broken cam phaser on tear down. Tough lesson to learn. Don't run if low on oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another addition, do not believe it is OK to run 7,500 or more miles on an oil change. It will shorten engine life. 3,000 is best but I usually run 5,000 even with synthetics. It is far less expensive to change oil than buy a $7,500 engine.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
751 Posts
Well then, methinks this forum is useless!
Sounds like you are looking for someone to pull an answer out of thin air to save you the time and money of really find out an answer. Question for you, you start to have chest pain, numbness in the left arm, you know all the signs of a heart attack but are ok after a few minutes. Then without warning it happens again but this time a little worse. Would you turn to a forum for an answer? No, but if you did you know what they would probably say? Owner neglect, gets the heart every time.

You see a healthy heart tends to work long and hard when taken care of but sometimes the heart throws an error code and eek, your done. But we are just a bunch of dudes(And chicks, sorry) sitting around waiting to have them ourselves. Only a doc can really tell you what happened. You see where I am going with this, you seem intelligent, well at least you told us you were, so you can see that probably someone neglected those motors at some point in time.

Did you own them both from new? If so, on you. If, not then maybe a pass but not a hard pass, because they both happened on your watch. As they say, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck! Hows that for useless your highness!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts