GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !!! Have a very similar instance.... Have a 2011 with a seized engine... Need to find out if a newer year engine ( 2016-2017 ?? ) will work in there ???? What possibly has changed with the newer years that might have to be swapped ?? I have done this before with other vehicles with minor modifications and worked great..... I have also found local engine shops that say this CAN be done, but won't give the particulars about exactly what is needed ( obviously to keep the business with them ) ... But someone has to know more about this swap....... Looking for that particular information before I buy that newer engine...... Anybody know ????? :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
The swap should be fairly straight forward with the 2016 Acadia engine (designated LLT). A V-6 engine swap with the redesigned 2017 Acadia (the LGX variant) probably won't be possible without some real modifications (both mechanical and electrical) beyond the scope of what you might be willing to explore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, as far as you know --- up to 2016 it's all the same ????? Cuz in the interchange searches, it's 2007-2009 / 2010-2012 / 2013-2015 ........ I know the 2007-2009 is not Direct injection - so that makes sense, but what's changed in the 2013-2015 ???? And maybe up to 2016 included..........

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
So, as far as you know --- up to 2016 it's all the same ????? Cuz in the interchange searches, it's 2007-2009 / 2010-2012 / 2013-2015 ........ I know the 2007-2009 is not Direct injection - so that makes sense, but what's changed in the 2013-2015 ???? And maybe up to 2016 included..........
Mostly cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From 11 to 16 the basic engines are very similar. But be aware there are often small changes that can crop up.

The block heads etc may all be alike but you can run into sensors and fuel system changes you might have to address. Accessory brackets too.

Best if you do a year change have the salvage yard you get the engine from do an interchange look up. Also keep the old engine till you have the new one in and running. This way you will have the old one for not only reference but for needed parts should you hit a running change.

Be aware also if you have emissions laws that they may require you to use a same year engine. All states vary on this so check to be safe.

It can be done just always be ready for the odd ball thing between years that could prove to be an issue you need to address.

Keep in mind in 17 you want to stick to a limited as the new Acadia is an all new engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ivar --- best info so far........ But does ANYBODY know if I got the 2016-2017 ( which I have located with 4,000-20,000 miles on them......... EXACTLY if I drop that complete long block engine in ( oil pan to intake - not taking apart anything...... If it will function ?????? Are all sensors / hookups etc..... all the same ????? The interchanges ( like I had stated before ) show 2010-2012 then 2013-2016 and some 2017 being the years they will interchange...... So there has to be something different from 2011 all the way to 2017....... WHAT IS IT ?????????

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Ivar --- best info so far........ But does ANYBODY know if I got the 2016-2017 ( which I have located with 4,000-20,000 miles on them......... EXACTLY if I drop that complete long block engine in ( oil pan to intake - not taking apart anything...... If it will function ?????? Are all sensors / hookups etc..... all the same ????? The interchanges ( like I had stated before ) show 2010-2012 then 2013-2016 and some 2017 being the years they will interchange...... So there has to be something different from 2011 all the way to 2017....... WHAT IS IT ?????????
There is no book on this and unless someone has done no one can say 100%.

There are what is called Hollander interchange guides and most salvage yards have access to these and can tell you most likely interchanges.

Generally most people look for a long block assembly with heads and intake or a short block which is just a block and rotating assembly.

They often take the short block and transferring the rest of the items off the old engine.

Here is a guide

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

The ideal thing is to replace the engine with the same designated engine.

It used to be engines seldom changed and they would easily interchange. Today they can call an engine a 3.6 but as time goes on things change in small ways or like the LGX change in major ways. Even the LGZ is a LGX but it is only for the Trucks like the Colorado.

I would recommend working with a autobrecycler or salvage yard on what works as they generally know the most.

Use caution on 2017 as only the Acadia Limited is like the older engine. The new one is the LGX and has the AFM that deletes cylinders. It is totally different.

This is not an easiest thing to cover in a post and really is something you need to speak to the recycler or salvage yard about that deals with this on a regular basis.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
I have seen LLT engines listed as a fit for the whole range of years (2009-2016) on the 'net. Partsrequest.com is one such site. I also spent some time going through GM part sites using the year of your car and 2015 as search criteria. I found many parts for both years with the identical part number - a nice thing about many part sites is the "what it fits" section. Pick what you have a question about and search sites like that yourself. You might find the only issue is mounting hang-on parts (alternator, A/C compressor, etc). Brackets should be easily swapped from your old engine to the new.

As a rule, manufacturers don't change things like connectors, sensors, and wiring harnesses until there is a really significant design change. Acadia didn't go through significant design changes to its power train systems throughout the run of the Lambda platform after a move to the LLT engine. Most of the changes in 2013-2016 (incl. the 2017 Limited) were related to body style and body electrical items.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Be aware also if you have emissions laws that they may require you to use a same year engine. All states vary on this so check to be safe ...
Since this point was made, I'll offer the following information to the forum for future reference:

California has the most restrictive emissions program of any other state - even more restrictive than the Federal Clean Air program. Other state's programs either follow, or modify California's guidelines. They all, however, never produce guidelines any less restrictive than the Federal program. With that in mind, I'm posting the guidelines published by California regarding repair/replacement of a car's engine for all to see.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the insight..... But now a real question for the ones who have first hand knowledge of engine assembly..... Earlier 2009-2011 3.6 LLT engines have a different intake manifold that newer 2012-2017's................... Who knows if either the newer intake manifold can stay assembled on the newer engine and will it be able to be worked in with the 2011 vehicle ???? Or next option would be can the 2011 intake manifold design be bolted to the 2012-2017 engine ?? Does if fit directly in the heads OK ????? This answer has to be from someone who has first hand knowledge of this swap..... Interchange books / yards do not have this information............... ANYBODY KNOW ???????????????

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Thanks for all the insight..... But now a real question for the ones who have first hand knowledge of engine assembly..... Earlier 2009-2011 3.6 LLT engines have a different intake manifold that newer 2012-2017's................... Who knows if either the newer intake manifold can stay assembled on the newer engine and will it be able to be worked in with the 2011 vehicle ???? Or next option would be can the 2011 intake manifold design be bolted to the 2012-2017 engine ?? Does if fit directly in the heads OK ????? This answer has to be from someone who has first hand knowledge of this swap..... Interchange books / yards do not have this information............... ANYBODY KNOW ???????????????
Hands-on experience isn't necessary when the answer is in a parts list. There is no design change to the intake manifold. I believe you'll find the change is from metal to composite material if you look deeper into the 'net.

Here's a listing for the 3.6L LLT manifold with part numbers. It's one of many results started from a search of 2012 parts. One number supersedes the other and the part fits all older makes/models with the same engine as well as newer ones through the end of LLT production.

" GMC, Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet Parts. Manufacturer: GM; Part Number: 12648915; Part: Intake Manifold; Replaces: 12635243. Manufacturer Warranty Minimum of 12 Months. Guaranteed Fitment Always the correct parts. Shop with Confidence Your information is safe. In-House Experts We ..."

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
... This answer has to be from someone who has first hand knowledge of this swap...
Don't expect that person to be a member of this forum. There has never been a discussion of this between people here. Many members have provided you their opinions and conjectures about what you need to do. You've also been given an outline of other resources from which to seek answers to your questions. Dig deeper into the 'net if you have to - many sites aren't updated frequently enough to show the full range of relevant information. It doesn't seem to be the job will be that big of an undertaking, but can be done. It's probably time to do the work and come back to the forum to tell us how it went. Get the engine from another Lambda-body vehicle (Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse, or even Outlook if you can find one with low miles) to alleviate any other concern. Let us know if your new engine has a GMC, Buick, or Chevrolet top cover.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
addendum: BTW, experience here includes 4 cyl. to 8 cyl. swap on a Jeep CJ, small block to big block swap on a Ford, and old engine to new engine swap on VW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Acadia forums. I might have the perfect mix of access and knowledge to answer this question. I am an owner of a 2010 Acadia SLT and I also happen to sell auto parts engines included for a living. if you'd like to swap a 13-16 engine into a 2010 you need to swap the intake manifold and the oil pan. If for some reason you'd like to put a 2009 engine into a 2010 you'd need to change the front cover.

Hope this helps. If anyone needs a engine for this car I can ship nation wide feel free to reach out.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Hey Acadia forums. I might have the perfect mix of access and knowledge to answer this question. I am an owner of a 2010 Acadia SLT and I also happen to sell auto parts engines included for a living. if you'd like to swap a 13-16 engine into a 2010 you need to swap the intake manifold and the oil pan. If for some reason you'd like to put a 2009 engine into a 2010 you'd need to change the front cover.
Pretty interesting when you consider the oil pan and intake manifolds are the same through a wide range of years (and models with the same engine).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Pan-12666374-/252615666094

(A link to the intake manifold was provided earlier)

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
... If for some reason you'd like to put a 2009 engine into a 2010 you'd need to change the front cover. ...
This is probably not true, either. The part number for the front cover of anything newer than 2009 (12668891) in gmpartsdirect (and other sites) has been discontinued. The only active part number for a front cover (12655856) lists a fit for some GM models through 2015 on several sites.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Of course if engines are sold minus those parts, the parts can be swapped from the old to the new with no problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
My source is hollander, usually when they say something it's for a reason. Rather than stating change this sensor or this bracket they will lump it under an assembly such as swap the intake manifold. I can tell you I just had another customer today put a 16 Acadia engine into their older car without any issues. So really the main point of this thread was to know can I put a newer engine into an older car without making significant and costly changes. I can answer that as a 100% yes you can. If you compare the oil pan or intake manifolds and deem that you want to use the newer one go ahead. used engines will typically come with all these parts included but not guaranteed in a specific condition. Either way you have your core engine to pull parts from. I have one other 19k engine currently available if anyone else is looking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts