GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 3.6 Acadia vin code "D" that im sure broke another timing chain. Can someone help me out with a list of the years thats interchangeable? I dont mind to interchange a few components off my 09 to a newer model motor if needed. So as long as its a "d" vin what years are exactly interchangeable, and what yrs are interchangeable with swapping a few parts over? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the yrs thats interchangeable with just part swaps, what parts have to be changed? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Engines from 2009-2016 will work (2017 Acadia Limited, too, if you can find one). Information in this linked thread should be helpful to you. Search "engine swap" using the forum search tool and you'll find other threads on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
You could use any LLT (VIN code D) engine, however one from an Acadia, Enclave, Outlook, or Traverse would be the most direct swap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, do you hear of very many 3.6's breaking only the timing chain without damaging the valves? Always heard that when chain breaks on a vehicle thats variable timing it ruins a valve or two?

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
The engine is an interference type. When a timing chain breaks, it can harm valves and other parts. Severity depends a lot on engine speed (rpm) when the failure occurs. Haven't read about too many failures without some type of indicator something was wrong beforehand, i.e. CEL, engine rattle, low oil pressure, noticeable drop in performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks speleos, one last thing lol. So Camaro and cts short blocks would work using my heads correct?

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
For the purpose of any meaningful discussion, you must define what you mean by "short block." Short block to me is just an engine block with crankshaft, rods, and pistons. Taking something from the models you suggest may mean changing more than just cylinder heads. It could also involve oil pans, timing chain sprockets, flex plates, etc., etc. Your best bet is getting an engine from something in which it is mounted transversely instead of longitudinally, and not a high-performance type.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
For the purpose of any meaningful discussion, you must define what you mean by "short block." Short block to me is just an engine block with crankshaft, rods, and pistons. Taking something from the models you suggest may mean changing more than just cylinder heads. It could also involve oil pans, timing chain sprockets, flex plates, etc., etc. Your best bet is getting an engine from something in which it is mounted transversely instead of longitudinally, and not a high-performance type.
Sort of my thoughts. I would be shopping for a complete engine and not a short block.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
divotdug
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing