GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had something really weird happen today. While driving down a snow covered road to my parents home, I began to slow down to make a left hand turn into the driveway. The abs kicked in and the vehicle continued to slide as the wheels appeared to lock up. So, I left off the brake and let the tires roll naturally through the left hand turn up a slight incline into the driveway. While approaching the top of the driveway I applied the brakes and stopped. I then looked over at my wife and removed my foot from the brake to pull up further and the vehicle immediately rolled back out of the driveway while in still in drive. So now that I am out of the driveway in the middle of the road, I re-apply brakes. Look down at the gear selector and then put it in park. I then press the throttle and no engine response. I glanced back at my wife and said what turned the engine off, the key was still in the on position and there was not a single indicator on the dash that appeared out of the normal. I turned the key to off and restarted and it was fine. If GM is listening and it's designed to do this, this is a major recall waiting to happen. After thinking about it an hour or two later, I probably should have called on-star at the moment that it happened. Am I crazy, or has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Whoa. Nothing like that for our Enclave and we have had plenty of snow and slippery conditions this year.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We've had 75+ inches of snow in our area thus far this year and engine has not shut off with ABS engaged. Sorry to hear of your incident.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i agree JasonM, you could have have called on-star and run a vehicle diagnostics, then take it to the dealer asap for a check!!! might be a glitch in the system or a major issue still waiting to be found....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might be on to something here. I have an '07, but check out the standard feature listed for '08 "- Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management". I started to think maybe this had to do something with the traction control. Well, some more googling shows the prius in the hybrid version has this exact problem in the snow. If the tires slip on a grade, it's cuts the power completely. Sounds like I need to do some further research on the acadia's traction control system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you been able to replicate the condition? Once is a fluke... multiple times is a problem!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to have find an open parking lot with snow and ice to replicate. The thing that suprised me the most is that the wheels did lock up as evidenced of the skids marks in the snow. My parents live two hours away and the weather conditions allow for this testing. I don't have snow on the ground at all at my place right now.

·
Registered
812 Posts
once you do get the chance... let us know!!! drift carefully!!! ;D

·
Registered
681 Posts
I got the chance to experiment today (ice covered parking lot this morning), intentionally engaged the ABS and slid for a little bit - the engine never shut off and after I released the brakes I just kept driving on no problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's slick out today, so I am probably be going to find one of the parking lots to replicate if possible. I was definatley trying to hit the brakes and make a left hand turn at the same time.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had the ABS and Stabilitrak kick in several times on my way to work this morning and nothing but positive from me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts