GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So upon dropping the car off at a local gm dealer a service person test drove and said the issue is definitely transmission related, possible torque converter slipping. Soon as i heard that my mind shut down. Its Christmas. 馃く馃槱 he said something about buying a new converter vs buying new transmission that comes with them or something. My mind is still fuzzy from grasping that i might be getting ready to dump some money into my acadia.

Super Moderator
... My mind is still fuzzy from grasping that i might be getting ready to dump some money into my acadia.
It's a good idea to contact GMC Customer Care. They might offer some assistance as long as the vehicle is within the power train warranty time period. Many times, they will make an adjustment even though warranty mileage has been exceeded.

Registered
馃く
Well. The issue(s) im currently having are gradually worsening. Scheduled to drop off at dealer this weekend. The more i think about it the more im thinking its a fuel filter/pump problem. Sparks were changed, no luck, broke the purge valve in process the new valve didnt help tho. Im hearing a random rumble strip noise that only persists when foots on the gas. When depressed the shuddering, the noise all stop. The noise is coming from what sounds like the center of vehicle and to my knowledge as of recently ive read the fuel filter is in the gas tank. That extends up to under the front seats upon inspection. The bad gas mileage, shuddering at certain speeds and up a hill, and the noise are making me think its fuel filter/ pump related. By no means am i a mechanic but instinct and some common sense 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔
Praying its not the transmission. That fluid is good and no codes have been thrown, no christmas dadhboard no nothing. Bad mileage, shuddering, and a rumble strip noise thats becoming more frequent.
With the transmission issue I and others talked about, there will not be a code or check engine light until the solenoid fails 100%. With my 2017, I was having little issues that I didn鈥檛 know were issues until it was to late. The fluctuation in RPM鈥檚 is a big indicator that it鈥檚 in the transmission.

Registered
It's a good idea to contact GMC Customer Care. They might offer some assistance as long as the vehicle is within the power train warranty time period. Many times, they will make an adjustment even though warranty mileage has been exceeded.
GMC customer care and I went back and forth until they provided me with a certificate worth 10% of my window sticker good towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. I鈥檓 now in a 2021 GMC Yukon XL SLT with the Durmax Diesel鈥. Runs like a champ. No twin cam V-6 for me anymore!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
GMC customer care and I went back and forth until they provided me with a certificate worth 10% of my window sticker good towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. I鈥檓 now in a 2021 GMC Yukon XL SLT with the Durmax Diesel鈥. Runs like a champ. No twin cam V-6 for me anymore!
How many miles were on the trade in?

Registered
2017 Acadia Limited AWD has progressively gotten more frequent engine shuttering at low end speeds of roughly 35-45 mph and as of today was in the 60-70 mph range. The issue started about 2-3 months ago. When the gas pedal is depressed the issue stops instantly. The last week or so its beginning to happen more often. I live 30ish miles north of Atlanta so I assume the colder weather is causing the more frequent shuttering. Ive looked around the internet and the throttle body seems to be a place of concern specifically the throttle position sensor. Ive looked in the TB and its really not that dirty. Im thinking/hoping its just a bad sensor. I want to disconnect the battery and check the sensor connection and or clean the connections but hesitant without some input from fellow Acadia owners and those familiar with known issues. I also ran across a post with similar issues but from an older gen of Acadias about reprogramming the PCM or something to that affect.
Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank goodness I saw this post just now. I have the same 2017 Limited SLT AWD, with shuddering. Started a few weeks ago, in same speed ranges as well. My engine just rolled over to 94k miles. My GMC dealer in Dublin CA, said torque converter, will replace at no cost to me. But will only offer 1yr/12k mile warranty on the repair. Super frustrating. When I asked, "what are my options if it fails at 12,500 miles?", his response was "GMC will evaluate the situation at that point". Can anyone answer as to why this is happening to our engines at such young aged 4yr old autos? I'd like to think that I could get another 100k miles out of an engine I take exceptional care of. HELP!!!!! 馃槨

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Welp, dealership called and said the torque converter is falling apart and they are recommending a new transmission. The acadia has 91,xxx miles and
Thank goodness I saw this post just now. I have the same 2017 Limited SLT AWD, with shuddering. Started a few weeks ago, in same speed ranges as well. My engine just rolled over to 94k miles. My GMC dealer in Dublin CA, said torque converter, will replace at no cost to me. But will only offer 1yr/12k mile warranty on the repair. Super frustrating. When I asked, "what are my options if it fails at 12,500 miles?", his response was "GMC will evaluate the situation at that point". Can anyone answer as to why this is happening to our engines at such young aged 4yr old autos? I'd like to think that I could get another 100k miles out of an engine I take exceptional care of. HELP!!!!! 馃槨
yea i wished my dealer would offer something. They want almost 7grand for a new transmission bc the TC put shavings in it. So im gonna be car hunting.

Registered
What kind of help are you looking for? Your torque converter repair is being done at no cost to you, which actually surprises me as you are beyond the factory powertrain warranty. Do you have an extended warranty?

Standard dealer warranty on repairs is 1yr/12k miles. Eventually repairs become an owner's responsibility.

No one here can really tell you why your torque converter failed, all any of can do is speculate. It's a mechanical part and parts fail. It's why I will not own a daily driver not under warranty.

Registered
Welp, dealership called and said the torque converter is falling apart and they are recommending a new transmission. The acadia has 91,xxx miles and

yea i wished my dealer would offer something. They want almost 7grand for a new transmission bc the TC put shavings in it. So im gonna be car hunting.
I'd do a few things before dropping $7k for a new transmission:

1. Check the fluid level per proper procedure to make sure it at the correct level. Over & underfilling can cause these issues.
2. Get a 2nd opinion.
3. I'm not familiar with your vehicle's transmission, but perhaps a flush, refill, and investigation if the transmission filter can be accessed to check for any debris to verify if what the dealer said is what is truly happening.

Reactions: tagay

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'd do a few things before dropping $7k for a new transmission:

1. Check the fluid level per proper procedure to make sure it at the correct level. Over & underfilling can cause these issues.
2. Get a 2nd opinion.
3. I'm not familiar with your vehicle's transmission, but perhaps a flush, refill, and investigation if the transmission filter can be accessed to check for any debris to verify if what the dealer said is what is truly happening.
Transmission tech had a laptop hooked up and an inspection and confirmed the torque converter is failing and destroying the transmission. Fluid levels were adequate as well as anything else that could or would cause similar issues. Essentially they are buying the vehicle back from the bank and giving me a zero balance. I have a loaner until the vehicle market hops off the high horse. Things happen but new and used prices are too ridiculous. Thanks for everyones help and input.

Registered
I was told last year by dealer it's the torque converter and there IS a recall bulletin there going to use to replace it. I've dealt with it getting worse since 43k, I'm now at 80k and it's Really really bad. I was was told for 2 years there's nothing wrong with it, they even kept it for weeks and weeks. I finally had enough and called GM corporate, I got a call from my dealer the next day.
Been waiting since September because "parts are not available". Also been waiting since fall for the radio module and one other one to "hopefully" resolve the electrical issues. Those parts are on "backorder"

I'm the 2nd owner of this Gremlin infested 2017 Acadia Denali. 馃が

Super Moderator
I was told last year by dealer it's the torque converter and there IS a recall bulletin there going to use to replace it.
If you have a number or link to this 'recall,' please post it here for members of the forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was told last year by dealer it's the torque converter and there IS a recall bulletin there going to use to replace it. I've dealt with it getting worse since 43k, I'm now at 80k and it's Really really bad. I was was told for 2 years there's nothing wrong with it, they even kept it for weeks and weeks. I finally had enough and called GM corporate, I got a call from my dealer the next day.
Been waiting since September because "parts are not available". Also been waiting since fall for the radio module and one other one to "hopefully" resolve the electrical issues. Those parts are on "backorder"

I'm the 2nd owner of this Gremlin infested 2017 Acadia Denali. 馃が
Well, I ended up selling my Acadia back to the dealership I bought it from.

what kind of electrical issues were there?
Where did you hear about the TC recall bulletin?

Registered
Having same issues with my 2017 limited. Just wondering if the 10% of your window sticker was from the "window sticker in 2017" or from the year/mileage of your Acadia when you received the deal? I'm assuming its the latter, but want to be sure. TIA!!!!

Registered
I too would like the number of the TC recall bulletin. I ran across something once and now can't find it. I have a 2017 acadia limited AWD. Same tranny issue. Shutters at about 30mph shifting from 2 to 3. (Unless I'm accelerating fast) Had tranny flush, no help. The service guy was talking about it being a known problem and a flush was its first recommendation. Started occasionally at 105k. Of course.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts