GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am facing engine overheating problem during this summer with my Acadia 2008 SLT AWD. The temperature guage goes above 100 degrees centigrades quite often during the hot day drive. It sometimes reaches to 75% of the total value. I asked the service people and here is what they say;

"Its an known Acadia issue due to low air intake from front bumper. In order to overcome this issue, they have to modify the bumber by making more holes to increase the air intake."

I asked them to show me any GMC note about it which they failed to do so. I called GMC middle east support, but they could not give me any answer. Attached you can find the modification in the bumper which they r suggesting.

Please let me know if anybody out there has a similar issue? I am really worried. Is this really the only solution. Everything else like coolant etc. is perfect and checked by the service people.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

Anybody any answer or any comments on this problem.....please let me know. I have to give my car to service people otherwise for this modification. To be very honest, I don't want it. Your opinions will be very much helpful to me.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Engine cooling is all about airflow. Even "water cooled" engines need air through the radiator to cool them.

Although your location is not listed in your profile, I surmise you are somewhere in the Middle East. 100 Centigrade is equal to 212 Fahrenheit. This is a little warmer than where the motor (due to emissions controls and fuel economy standards) is set to operate for domestic North America units. I don't know about export units such as what you have. It seems like most here report gauge temps of around 200~210. I'm sure there is a specification somewhere or maybe even in your owner's manual. Also, the best way to measure this is with a scan tool, as dash gauges can be off by several degrees. Do you know if your Acadia has option V92, the trailer package? It has heavy duty cooling, which you would need due to your location. If you do not have the larger radiator, you may suggest the dealer try this first before cutting holes.

Unless you are consistently warmer than the 100 degrees, I would try other options first before cutting new holes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I agree with Blue.
I'm not sure if cutting through your bumper may provide the best solution.
If you decide to pursue cutting, please post some pics after it has been done...i don't think it will look bad at all. ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your concerns,

I am actually resident in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. A very dry and very very hot climate now a days. I face the problem of overheating mainly if I am driving through traffic areas where i have to drive slowly and have to have air conditioner with full blow.

According to the car manual, 100 degrees is normal (which actually is exactly the half of temp guage). My car shows the guage from 105 till 115 degrees some times. According to the manual, it can happen during very hot climate and when the car is driving very slow. Some of my friends told me that beyond normal temperature (100 degrees in case of Acadia) is always dangerous and not good at all for the engine. According to GMC service manager here, it is dangerous only if you get the over heating alarm and the AC is shutdown automatically.

I am quite sure that they will not put in the heavy duty radiator. I don't have the the toa package either.

I am really confused. Holes in the bumper do not look bad at all. I don't mind to have them, but the question is "if this is the problem with my car only. Can it get worst???" Another concern is that the bumper will definitely be weak after holes.

With my original post, you can already see the attached pdf document, where you can see how the bumper will look like after modification.

Please suggest....

·
Registered
428 Posts
If your car isnt shutting down the A/C automatically or giving a warning light it shouldnt be a problem. Most vehicles will run warmer than normal in traffic situations in hot climates. I dont think you really have a problem. My vehicle runs around 210 here in the Houston Texas area where our average summer temperature is in the upper 90's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks dfrank.... for an encouraging post.

There is one thing I don't understand. In my case 100 degrees (equal to 212 degrees F) is the normal temperature even during cold weathers or at night or at long drives. Also, 100 degrees is half mark in temperature guage with 125 degrees the maximum. My car's guage goes up to 65 to 75% mark on guage quite often during hot climate driving. 65 to 75% mark on temperature guage should be around 105 to 115 degrees centigrades (equal to 221 to 239 degrees F). Is it still normal??

·
Registered
624 Posts
zad....I would say DON'T let them cut the holes in your bumper. They obviously didn't listen to your exact complaint since it seems that your car only runs hotter than normal 100 C when in stop and go city traffic. If anything, I would think they need to investigate the cycling of the high speed fans which SHOULD kick on when water temp gets over about 105 C (although they probably should already be on with A/C being on). I do know that the high speed fans tend to "cycle" on and off with just A/C usage with normal coolant temp. HOWEVER, if temp is consistently over 105 C I would think that the high speed fans should be on continuously. Have they verified this? I don't see how the holes will help you that much anyway when you are at idle and not moving. I also would say that as long as you aren't "overheating" into the red, I see no risk of damage to your engine. And, yes 100C water temp is normal at ALL exterior temps. The thermostat is selected to keep water temp no lower than 100 C at all times due to emissions control and fuel economy as stated previously.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ccaats.... this is a very good hint. I will also try to observe on my own, if the high speed fans are always on when the temperature is around 105 or more. Is there any trick or hint to observe this vehavior except good ears?

I also had this question if the car is driving slow, how can extra holes will help. Only explanation to that was "it might be good for fans to have more room for exhaust".

To be very honest, i don't know much about cars. This is my first car which I own. Previously, I had company maintained cars......so never bothers about car related issues. Company or Rental companies were doing it for me........nice old days, but not nice cars like Acadia. Other then this issue of engine over heating, I love this car.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The proposed holes are to allow more air in, not out, although outflow has hurt a few vehicles of mine due to packed engine bays. The Acadia should not have any problem getting the hot air out of the bay. In all reality, if this is a slow speed problem, the extra holes would not have much effect on cooling since the fans are pulling a majority of the load at this point. Most vehicles will run factory fans until around 35~40 MPH, at which point enough air is being forced in to where they are not needed. The AC is also putting a load on here since the condenser (AC part) is supplying heated air in front of the radiator. You may not like the idea, but a heavy duty radiator and/or a fan/fans with more airflow would be a better solution than extra holes in the front of the vehicle. You can also improve cooling efficiency by sealing the radiator area so all air passing through is forced through the condenser & radiator. This is pretty extreme and would take a lot of time.

I'm really surprised an export vehicle to that region does not have HD cooling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I summarise all of your inputs, following will be the points;

1. I should not get bumper modifications with extras holes.
2. If the temperature guage does not reach to max, where an alarm comes or if AC are not shutdown automatically, then its not harmful for the engine.
3. Should observe the behavior of high speed fans during high temp driving.
4. Should try to find if a more powerful radiator or fans are possible to have. I would like GMC actually to consider this option and cover it in warranty.

Most critical of all points above is #2. I hope if I live with these high temperature behavior, it will not harm the Engine.

Please correct me if I am wrong.......although I don't think if I have any concrete solution of this problem so far, as I don't think my GMC dealer would listen to any of these suggestions....quite unfortunate.

Last thing....I wonder if anyone out there in hot world facing a similar situation with thier Acadia?? please let me know if they have any solution from GMC other than bumper mod.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I moved here from South Florida- pretty hot & humid, gets just as hot here in the north part of the state during summer. When we get our Acadia (maybe next month!), I can let you know how it does.

I have several cars with Chevy V8 motors in them (they did not come that way ;)), so cooling has always been a challenge. You do not want to do this to a GMC under warranty, but the best electric fan I've ever used is from a mid 90's Lincoln Mark 8. I have this fan in a Datsun with a 5.7L LT1 V8, a Toyota with a 5.3L LM7 V8, and a BMW with a 5.3L L33 V8. My other car is a Mazda with the same V8 as the BMW, and due to space I used a smaller two-speed electric fan from a mid 90's Taurus. This summer it got hot enough for the Mazda to vapor lock (need to do some more work for the fuel line & exhaust), but it did not overheat. I constructed shrouds for the BMW to force air in through the radiator at speed.

There is no factory upgrade for the Acadia fans that I am aware of, but the radiator is different for the tow package- I confirmed this on a GM Parts website.

A couple of other possibilities:
1) Use a lower temperature thermostat- while this will not have a great effect on the performance of the cooling system, it will open earlier and give the system an earlier chance to begin working, as well as reduce temperatures at road speeds. The downside of this is that it may not work well with the computer controls for the Acadia, and this could result in poor gas mileage.

2) Have the system flushed and use an additive such as "Water Wetter" with water only (no anti-freeze or coolant). While I'm not a chemist (and don't play one on TV :)), water has better cooling properties than coolant, but will corrode the system unless an additive is present. While I don't use this product, I know of several auto enthusiasts that do and reported it does help lower temperatures.

All cooling systems have their limits. The worst case for any system is high ambient temperature, load (especially climbing a hill while towing), AC on (hot air from condenser), and low air flow. Anything you can do to improve any of these will generally result in lower temps.

As for your numbered list, unless #2 is happening (in the red), #4 never will.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
zad, look at the RPO code sticker in the glove box of your Acadia and look for code V08. That is the heavy duty cooling that is normally included with the towing package. I'm curious if they would include the higher capacity cooling system in a Middle East export unit even if the towing package is not ordered.

And I would agree with ccats that as long as the water temperature gauge does not reach the red/overheat zone, you should be just fine. In that climate I would expect the engine to run a little warmer than back here, especially in stop and go traffic. Most engines do that anyway. One suggestion though, I would consider using synthetic oil in the engine for a little extra protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone:

I too have engine overheating problem with my 2008 Acadia SLT1 with 26000 KM (same problems ZAD is having). I live in Dubai with summer temp is at least 110F-120F. The problem occurs while driving inside the city (Stop and go drive). The AC automatically switches Off/On while the engine temp gauge goes 2-3 steps above 100C almost 110C out of 125C Max. Dealer replaced thermostat the first time, but that didn't help. Now they are suggesting to add holes to the front bumper to increase air flow. This will be my 4th trip to the dealer in less than 6 weeks. This is really frustrating. I appreciate your comments and help.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
joe0065 said:
Hello everyone:

I too have engine overheating problem with my 2008 Acadia SLT1 with 26000 KM (same problems ZAD is having). I live in Dubai with summer temp is at least 110F-120F. The problem occurs while driving inside the city (Stop and go drive). The AC automatically switches Off/On while the engine temp gauge goes 2-3 steps above 100C almost 110C out of 125C Max. Dealer replaced thermostat the first time, but that didn't help. Now they are suggesting to add holes to the front bumper to increase air flow. This will be my 4th trip to the dealer in less than 6 weeks. This is really frustrating. I appreciate your comments and help.
Clarify your temperatures- are they F or C? You listed both. I'll figure they are F for the outside air and C for the coolant. For ease of reading, I'll convert C to F. 100C = 212F. This is about what your stock thermostat will operate at- our gauge stays on 210 all the time. 110C = 230F and 125C= 257F.

Do you have the heavy duty cooling system as Geo noted above (code V08 on the glovebox sticker)? If not, I would have the dealer order the parts and have this installed since the radiator is different, presumably better for cooling.

As I noted in my prior post, you have two things working against you:
1) High outside temperature (100-120F), and
2) Running the AC.

You have hot air going through a condenser to cool the refrigerant (AC), and this adds heat to the already hot air. It then lastly goes through the radiator.

Drilling extra holes in the front of the Acadia will not help city driving, since you usually are not going fast enough to get any extra air forced through the radiator. What will help here is to ensure that all of the air going through the condenser is going through the radiator, and all the air from the radiator is being pulled out by the fans. I doubt the dealer will attempt this modification, as it will take some time and ingenuity.

I had a similar problem with my Pontiac Trans Am (not an Acadia, but the same principle), so here is what I did:
1) Sealed condenser to radiator with heater hoses (sides) and silicone hose (top).
This picture shows the gap between the condenser and radiator, and the heater hoses I used on each side:

This picture has the hoses in place:

2) Sealed fan shroud to radiator using same type of weatherstrip as GM used- they put it at the top & bottom only, so there was plenty of room for it to draw air from the sides. The shroud in the picture now has weatherstrip all the way around the outside edge to seal it to the radiator:

If the gap is not too large, you may be able to seal both with some high temperature silicone sealant. Perhaps the dealer could be talked into doing this.

You should also consider an external oil cooler if the Middle East package does not include one. Engine oil serves a function to cool the motor as well as lubricate it.

At 120F I think you have got to be reaching the upper limits of a cooling system when trying to run the AC at the same time. Your only other possibility would be large aftermarket fans- and this would be a lot of work to install properly if they would fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Geo and Blue for your suggesting.

There is no sticker on/inside the glovebox, so I can't verify code V08. Outside temperature here in the summer (June-Aug) runs as high as 48C. It cools down to about 40C late at nite and early in the morning. Needless to say it is very humid almost all year around, humidity (85-98%) worse than Miami.
I don't like to make any modification to the car as it is still under warranty, unfortunatly there is no lemo laws here :(. My only hope is that GM will give up on trying to fix the problem and offer a replacement or buy back option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody,

Useful discussion.. I just reached to this great forum by search engine! and become a member :D

I've got GMC Acadia SLT AWD 2008, and have got the same concern of eninge overheat..

It is not while driving only, it is while stopping as well, how could bumper modification (holes) would help to increase air intake!! while vehicle is stopped an engine is on.

I think it is manufacturer's defect, the problem is that GM dealer does't take it seriously here in Meddle East in General and in Saudi Arabia in particular. Since no complaint comes through Chamber of Commerce or Ministry of Trade.

So Gents, shall I consider the point # 2 of ZAD that no bother since no overheat alarm is there!. But the question is .. How about long run, I mean after few years would be the same situation when eninge is getting tired.. this may affect the engine...

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
If everything is maintained well and working properly, i.e. fans, fan relays, etc., it shouldn't be that much of a concern.

BTW, welcome to the forum, ajshaikh! Grab some dates, pour a glass of cool water (or whatever), loosen your toga and relax! Don't forget to fill out your profile with information about your Acadia.

·
Registered
95 Posts
zad said:
If I summarise all of your inputs, following will be the points;

1. I should not get bumper modifications with extras holes.
2. If the temperature guage does not reach to max, where an alarm comes or if AC are not shutdown automatically, then its not harmful for the engine.
3. Should observe the behavior of high speed fans during high temp driving.
4. Should try to find if a more powerful radiator or fans are possible to have. I would like GMC actually to consider this option and cover it in warranty.

Most critical of all points above is #2. I hope if I live with these high temperature behavior, it will not harm the Engine.

Please correct me if I am wrong.......although I don't think if I have any concrete solution of this problem so far, as I don't think my GMC dealer would listen to any of these suggestions....quite unfortunate.

Last thing....I wonder if anyone out there in hot world facing a similar situation with thier Acadia?? please let me know if they have any solution from GMC other than bumper mod.
Hello, can you tell us what did you end up doing with your overheating problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I posting in little older thread but hope get an better idea from members who had this issue
I have Acadia SLT AWD 2009 imported to Saudia from America
I live in Jeddah and face same problem as zad
It too makes sometimes problem in heavy traffic but most of time in hills,
Recently i came to Shifa Taif which is high hill station and while with AC turned on, the Gauge went higher than normal untill i switched off AC plus not with full throttle it went normal most of time.
What's the best solution which worked out for you guys
Thanks a lot

1 - 20 of 30 Posts