GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere (either here or the owner's manual) that nothing should be added to the engine oil. Then I find this:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=EOS

So now I wonder what's up; are additives or supplements OK or just the GM version?

Retract this post please; now that I have my glasses on this is an engine assembly supplement for building engines :eek:hno:[/color]

·
Registered
294 Posts
It'll only cost $150 for the time and tech support. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
3rd Timer said:
I have been selling AMSOIL for several years and have found those that say to use additives to oil should be shot in the head with a 50 cal bullet. End of story!
Come on, what's so wrong with Slick 50? ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
GeoHawk said:
3rd Timer said:
I have been selling AMSOIL for several years and have found those that say to use additives to oil should be shot in the head with a 50 cal bullet. End of story!
I had two friends that raced with me in the SCCA when I was stationed in Merced, California and both locked up their professionally built engines with Slick 50 clogging up their pickup in their oil pans. Need I say more. If you use a good oil (synthetic) there is NO need to place crap in with it --- period!!!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
3rd Timer said:
GeoHawk said:
3rd Timer said:
I had two friends that raced with me in the SCCA when I was stationed in Merced, California and both locked up their professionally built engines with Slick 50 clogging up their pickup in their oil pans. Need I say more. If you use a good oil (synthetic) there is NO need to place crap in with it --- period!!!
Sorry 3rd Timer, I was trying to be sarcastic. ;D Nothing but oil goes in my engines. I do remember when I was a kid helping my dad change the oil in our cars, he would always use a can of STP Oil Treatment with each oil change. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ah, this is why I love advertising. They compare themselves to only Mobil 1, not Mobil 1 extended which is the same type of oil. I wonder how Mobil 1 would compare to Mobil 1 extended.
And while I am highjacking this thread (cause I love statistics so). Notice the chart they use to show that they are 8X better has no numbers on it. From reading between the lines it looks like the wear for castrol is about 1.25 microns, and 10 microns for Mobile 1, making it 8x better. Don't know if any of you have an idea how small 10 millionths of a meter is, but its really, really, really,really, really, really, really, really, really, really,tiny

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
3rd Timer said:
[/qu
ote]

3rd Timer do you WIX oil filters? 5W30?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sandman said:
Ah, this is why I love advertising. They compare themselves to only Mobil 1, not Mobil 1 extended which is the same type of oil. I wonder how Mobil 1 would compare to Mobil 1 extended.
And while I am highjacking this thread (cause I love statistics so). Notice the chart they use to show that they are 8X better has no numbers on it. From reading between the lines it looks like the wear for castrol is about 1.25 microns, and 10 microns for Mobile 1, making it 8x better. Don't know if any of you have an idea how small 10 millionths of a meter is, but its really, really, really,really, really, really, really, really, really, really,tiny
I agree a micron is small; they must be loosing out to Mobil 1 so they came up with something "better"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.