GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 acadia fwd that I just bought in May. I noticed that the engine really gets hot after driving. I touched the hood and it was very warm. Even standing beside the passenger side front fender you could really feel it. Are all acadia's like this? Just seems abnormal to me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
All of the Acadia's are like this. If you use search feature you should find some discussions on this issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really could not find anything when I searched for "engine heat". Why is the engines so hot on these things?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Todays modern, high tech engines run hotter that ever to meet the ever tightening emissions regulations. To simplify if, a hotter running engine makes for a more complete combustion process, thus leaving less waste (emission) byproducts to be blown out the tail pipe. The catalytic converters play a role in this as well. Is it possible that the height of the Acadia's hood is making you more aware of the heat, because it is closer than a car's would be?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just keep an eye on that temp guage. From previous posts I think someone said that the temp guage is calibrated to be in the center of the range when running at normal temperatures.

·
Registered
659 Posts
alphadog1 said:
Just keep an eye on that temp guage. From previous posts I think someone said that the temp guage is calibrated to be in the center of the range when running at normal temperatures.
I think you need to be careful with the word "normal". It is true that the guage sits precisely at 9:00 at most times as that is where the thermostat and primary speed fan are set but there is a higher speed fan position that does not even come on until the guage gets to about the 10:00 position. Particularly when perfoming slow, steep climbs in hot weather the guage can and will, rise to that point until that other fan comes on. I have seen it a number of times in summer high altitude camping and back country driving and it is not "abnormal" for the guage to rise to that point. When the fan kicks up it will stabilize and start heading back down. When the temp is actually a problem the DIC will indicate going to a reduced power setting or tell you to stop. I have not experienced either of those (although others have) but I have seen the guage rise the typical half way point a number of times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts