GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have problem with my 08 Acadia. Every time I go to petrol station to refill it, the engine does not start immediatly. It takes me 5-7 trials before it starts again. It works perfect until the next visit to the station. Any idea?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Fuel pump getting fuzzy with the added pressure of fuel in the tank? Fuel line to the injectors?
Do you hear the fuel pump 'clicking' when you just turn the key to ACC?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear the normal sound of engine trying to start but longer ... Like it keeps trying to start.
Same as old cars when battery is low (not dead).

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I believe the issue with this is overfilling the tank- Fuel has gotten into some little valve- and causes this issue...

Ill try to remember the name of this valve...

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Car God has a rule about fueling... when the pump clicks 'off', stop. Don't try to top off or round up the
money or gallons. There was/is a fuel vacuum line that easily gets clogged with extra fuel in this instance
and causes all kinds of problems. When it clogs, the tank can't pressurize so the pump runs funny and causes
performance issues. Could be the same thing? Do you always "top off" when you fuel?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
The purge valve....

Next time this happens---
PRESS down the accelerator pedal-- all the way to the floor- and hold it there.
this sends a signal to the computer/engine that the engine is flooded. It then STOPS the injectors from supplying fuel.
Subsequent cranking- clears the cylinders of the flooded engine condition and it will make it easier to start....
What is possibly happening- is the engine is flooded from the leaking purge valve-- when you crank the engine wont start because of the flooded condition- AND the injectors squirting fuel... further no start..

The flooded method- is actually in the owners manual.

If the engine does not start after
5-10 seconds, especially in very
cold weather (below 0°F or
−18°C), it could be flooded with
too much gasoline. Try pushing
the accelerator pedal all the way
to the floor and holding it there
as you hold the key in START
for up to a maximum of
15 seconds. Wait at least
15 seconds between each try, to
allow the cranking motor to cool
down. When the engine starts,
let go of the key and accelerator

found a post on a similar issue with a Caddy with the 3.6.

hello mrssmith i am a service manager at a cadillac dealership and we have had a05 cts with the same problem, a no start condition after refueling, the only way the car would crank is to press the accel while cranking. what we found was the purge solenoid was stuck open allowing fuel to seep in tp the eng while fueling, this was flooding the eng on restarts. we replaced the purge solenoid and fixed the problem. i hope this might help you also.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
yes like capecodia said--- this issue can be caused by overfilling after the gas station pump auto shuts off..
it fills that line like she said.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Yes I think the guy always try to round up the money.
I'll try to avoid it next time and see.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had the same issue as Tiger3000 a few months ago. My vehicle would not start after filling up. It would take three of four tries before it would finally turn over. My dealer finally determined the cause was the purge valve. It had gotten corrupted due to me topping off my tank. Once the valve was replaced and I stopped topping off my tank my vehicle has not had any problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried again last night to fill the tank without topping off but same thing happened. First time it did mot start. Second time I fully pressed the acceleration twice quickly and the engine started.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Tiger3000 said:
I tried again last night to fill the tank without topping off but same thing happened. First time it did mot start. Second time I fully pressed the acceleration twice quickly and the engine started.
Looks like you're replacing the purge solenoid and no more topping off.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am surprised if the check valve is gone that the check engine light isn't on. On my 2007 Miata I had a check engine ight on when the purge valve was bad, after reading on the Miata forums it is known to go bad if you top off the tank, something I used to do before I replace the vavle. I no longer top off the gas tank after the pump shuts off and I haven't had a problem with the Miata or the Acadia.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Tiger3000 said:
Thanks everyone. Yes I think the guy always try to round up the money.
I'll try to avoid it next time and see.
My 2008 did that twice before I went searching for answers. I was always topping-off the tank of every vehicle with each fill. Usually an extra 2 - 3 litres (about 1/2 a gallon). The first two trips to the gas pumps with my brand new Acadia ended that bad habit. Never had the problem again after filling only to the first click.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine did the same thing until i replaced the purge valve solenoid. very easy to do. took about 10 minutes. part cost $37 at o'reillys. seems to have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tiger3000 said:
Hi all,
I have problem with my 08 Acadia. Every time I go to petrol station to refill it, the engine does not start immediatly. It takes me 5-7 trials before it starts again. It works perfect until the next visit to the station. Any idea?
I'm not sure if this is an option for you or not, but my solution to this would be: Dont turn off your vehicle when you are fueling. I live in South Dakota where we fuel our own vehicles & the temperature is quite often well below zero when doing so. we do not shut off our vehicles when we fuel here, (we leave our heaters going full blast) & I have never gotten any "static" for not turning off my vehicle. Because I don't turn the Acadia off when fueling, I have never had an issue with leaving the gas station.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re:

Hmmm, every gas station around here had a big sign that says "shut off engine". I wouldn't advise you to leave your car running. The root of the problem is that the poster had a bad purge valve solenoid, then tops off their tank. I would advise people to not pump any more gas after the pump shuts off.

To each his or her own, but I would tend to air on the side of safety and not advise people to leave their car running when pumping gas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
would that be like the folks who are pumping gas and smoking a cig?

:confused:

·
Registered
273 Posts
rbarrios said:
would that be like the folks who are pumping gas and smoking a cig?

:confused:
People actually do that? Wow.

In Minnesota, it is actually illegal to leave your car running while gassing up (unbless that has changed since I went through drivers ed).

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
h2oskierc said:
People actually do that? Wow.

In Minnesota, it is actually illegal to leave your car running while gassing up (unbless that has changed since I went through drivers ed).
Ive seen it as Ive pulled into a station--
and I drive thru and exit.

. some folks just need a few more puffs...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts