GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to be as descriptive as possible. My car will just almost die and then sometimes completely die where I have to restart. This happens when I slow down for a stop sign of when I park and am idling for a minute. I just had the alternator rebuilt and no codes are showing anything on the dash other than traction control something when it restarts. The radio, headlights and dash diet when this happens but it's only for a split second... usually it has died completely where I have to restart at times. When driving at night it seems the headlights kinda flicker but I'm unsure if my eyes are playing tricks on me. Also the driver side speaker usually doesn't work well, but I can hear it come on and off usually when this happens kinda like a loose speaker wire don't know if it's related. Anyways please help someone I have to do my own repairs for financial reasons this is my only ride to work and I have people depending on me lol. Like I said I just had the alternator repaired, and I replaced the idler pulley a few months ago. ( Fuse? Ground wire? )

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Any dash lights? Codes read?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Depends on where the "new" alternator was bought. Several here and on other forums have boought alternators at auto supply stores and they prove to also be defective.
Also, the battery may now have a cell starting to short out and drop power intermittently.
Batteries these days don't usually just die. . . they give warnings like Op is experiencing with the various wonky lights, radio speaker, etc.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I had a "new" alternator on my goat go bad in just a few days after install. I had been rebuilt.

So, yes, check the alternator.

George

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
If there are no codes, I would be betting on corrosion somewhere in the wiring harness.
IP and headlights flickering would suggest the IPBEC (glove compartment fuse box) as the place to start looking at electrical connections.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Brainstorming here. Could be unrelated to the electrical system. Maybe something as simple as cleaning the throttle body?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking was throttle body\Idle air control valve cleaning. Also possible for small vacuum leak that is not bad enough to throw code for fuel trims being out. Lights might be flickering since engine in not maintaining RPM. You should be able to find video on youtube for throttle body cleaning. It is cheap for cleaner and relatively easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could be the battery going bad? Another thought, I had a Plymouth Voyager that I always ran regular gas. Then when I was getting ready to go on vacation I put in Premium. That was a mistake. It started stalling at stop signs, etc. After I put regular gas in it never stalled. I latter tested my theory out of curiosity with the same result. When I sold the Voyager I told the buyer to only use regular.

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
P2070.. but now the engine light went off after scanning it
That's the code for intake manifold tuning (IMT) valve. If that valve is failing, it could be part of your running problem. The IMT opens and closes much like the secondaries on a 4-barrel carburetor. Too much air would make an engine stall - same with not enough air. The IMT is fairly easy to replace, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the code for intake manifold tuning (IMT) valve. If that valve is failing, it could be part of your running problem. The IMT opens and closes much like the secondaries on a 4-barrel carburetor. Too much air would make an engine stall - same with not enough air. The IMT is fairly easy to replace, too.
But... Would this cause the car to completely die. I mean nothing works it goes completely dark, it's not just the engine it's lights, radio, dash lights everything?

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
But... Would this cause the car to completely die. I mean nothing works it goes completely dark, it's not just the engine it's lights, radio, dash lights everything?
I could cause the engine to quit running. As said, it may be just a part of the problem. It's obvious there's a lot of troubleshooting to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts