GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an SLT-2 and added the towing package. I was given the option of adding the extra engine cooling capability (+200 or so to the $420 for the hitch/wiring), which the salesman told me would increase the tow rating from 3500 to 4500 pounds. I decided against it for now but was curious what people thought. I live in the mountains of Colorado and plan on towing a mid-size pop-up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I guess the extra cooling capacity you speak of would be the larger radiator as all Acadia's with or without the towing package have the transmission cooler. If you are going to tow a lot with the Acadia I would say it is probably worth it. If you are only going to tow occasionally and dont push the Acadia hard you shouldnt have any problem with the normal size radiator.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The tow package is worth the extra money. I also live in the mountains and the temp on my Acadia does rise significantly on a hot day. It doesn't overheat, but I'm glad I have the tow package nevertheless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would almost bet that the extra cooling the salesman is talking about for $200 is an extra trans cooler. You will need something like http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4451&Category_Code=tru-cool-thin&Product_Count=0

The stacked plate design is better than the tube and fin type. These are not hard to install but if you have never done anything like this before it can be intimidating.

The reason I think this is a extra transmission cooler and not a different radiator is because of the price, I don't think that you could find very many radiator for $200 let alone installed for that price. This extra transmission cooler is only about $40 then add the labor and you are at $200ish.

·
Registered
659 Posts
toyjunkie said:
I would almost bet that the extra cooling the salesman is talking about for $200 is an extra trans cooler. You will need something like http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4451&Category_Code=tru-cool-thin&Product_Count=0

The stacked plate design is better than the tube and fin type. These are not hard to install but if you have never done anything like this before it can be intimidating.

The reason I think this is a extra transmission cooler and not a different radiator is because of the price, I don't think that you could find very many radiator for $200 let alone installed for that price. This extra transmission cooler is only about $40 then add the labor and you are at $200ish.
I agree, there's no way they can replace the radiator for $200, it has to be a trans cooler. Although thats definitely a helpful thing, I believe you really need the radiator to get the full towing capacity. If you check some other threads on cooling, last summer several of us found out that it doesn't take a lot of slow, steep uphill climbing, to raise the temp guage above normal levels and in my case, that was with the trailering package and without a trailer. The trans cooler will certainly help the trans and maybe even take a small bit of the trans cooling load off the radiater (as the normal trans cooling coil is in the radiator) but I wouldn't bet on having the same capacity as the factory package.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would say that if you add the transmission cooler that would be as close as you could get to the factory setup as possible. As for the amount you can pull I would have say watch your engine temperature. If the day is only 50* to 70* out and you are pulling at highway speed there shouldn't be any trouble with over heating. Now if it's 100* and you are in bumper to bumper traffic and only doing 30 mph you could be getting hot if you are pulling heavy, you could also get hot just sitting in traffic too :banghead:. This is something I would experiment with, get your mods done then load up for a test drive and keep your eye on that temp gauge. If it sits at it's normal spot as always then you have answered your question and are good to go on that vacation or trip to the lake.

If you do get some shop to install a transmission cooler make sure they mount it a hard surface and they don't just use the plastic ties that come in the kit to mount it to your condenser.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Something fishy here... when you order the towing package (V92 for 2008 & 2009, probably 07 also) you get V08 HD cooling. I have never seen anything regarding an extra $200 for anything related to this.

The GM Parts Direct online catalog shows two radiators for the 07-08 Acadia, one is specifically w/HD cooling.

From the 2009 PDF file:
V92 Trailering equipment, includes (V08) heavy-duty cooling and (VR2) trailer hitch
V08 Cooling system, heavy-duty

The $200 sounds like a dealer add-on of a $40 trans cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts