GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bosses wife had to get a lambda because she loves his Acadia. I we went for a ride in her new Enlcave and it seemed a little quiter. This thing was loaded, and I asked her if she had HUD because it had everything else. She said no because the windsheild is double insulated and HUD wont work. Was that the salesmen making a deal or is that true. If it is true, I have to believe that the Enclave is quiter. Anyways, we still love our Acadia and I feel bad for those who are having problems with theirs. We have over 14k on our 2008 now and the only prob is the lumbar broke...no big deal.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is true, the Enclave has special insulation and thicker glass that makes it quieter. There was a special GM sales sheet on this site regarding the Enclave and it mentions the insulation (could not find it yet).

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The Enclave is engineered to be 3 (or a little more) decibels quieter than the Acadia. It also rides smoother. I drove both back to back and I could personally notice the quitter ride of the Enclave. I could not personally detect the smoother ride.

I came from a 2001 Montana and both the Acadia and the Enclave were so much quieter that I was impressed with both. I actually liked the Acadia so much better and the noise was not a consideration.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, I read it eariler, I just didn't think it made as much of a difference as they suggested. I think I could live without HUD for a super quite ride. I am sure Enlcave must be super quite because our Acadia is the quitest we have had so far. 3 Dbs are quite a bit, yes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
3db means that the enclave is 2 times quieter than the acadia... IE if you could some how ride in 2 enclaves at the same time.. that would be the noise level of one Acadia. But like others said above.. the Acadia is the quietest vehicle I've ever drove.

·
Registered
262 Posts
kbacon said:
3db means that the enclave is 3 times quieter than the acadia... IE if you could some how ride in 3 enclaves at the same time.. that would be the noise level of one Acadia. But like others said above.. the Acadia is the quietest vehicle I've ever drove.

well, not to split hairs but actually a 3 dB delta corresponds to a change of a factor of 2. Basically the Enclave is twice as quiet as the Acadia. Got to love those logarithmics.....its been a while. :drunk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah.. something like that... :angel:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
JonTon - You are right about he decibel and factor of 2. (e.g. To increase the output of a stereo speaker by 3dB, you need to double the power.) But decibels are not volume and a 3dB increase does not double the volume. As a matter of fact, 3dB is really not that big of a change. Here is some info I pulled from the web if you are interested.

From this, it seems the 3dB change from the Acadia to the Enclave in noise level, is just barely detectable. Some will notice it, and some won't.

Ref… http://www.soundinstitute.com/article_detail.cfm/ID/95

Early acousticians came up with a simple method of comparing two sounds. A sound that was perceived to
be twice as loud as another was said to be one Bel greater in sound level. The Bel was used as a unit of
comparison. It is not a unit of measure. Its namesake, Alexander Grahm Bell, was a pioneer in the science
of audiology (the study of human hearing). It soon became apparent this unit of comparison was not very
useful in describing the difference between similar sounds. A small unit of comparison, the decibel, was
established. One decibel (1 dB) is one-tenth of a Bel. Since a decibel is one-tenth of a Bel, then 10 decibels
(10 dB) would equal one Bel. In other words, a sound that is twice as loud as another sound could be
described as being 10 decibels (10 dB) louder. By definition, one decibel (1 dB) represents the smallest
change in volume a human ear can perceive. The average ear, however, can only detect a 3 dB change.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gar, what is it you do? You consistantly have intelligent insight. Well, since for years I had to have my bass turned up in my car, I probably wont notice 3db. ;)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You asked for it....

Today, I am in the business of developing custom software applications (have been for 7 years now) Before that I was a manufacturing manager (8 yrs), Electronic Test Engineer (10 yrs), HVAC tech/Plumber/Electrician (7 yrs), and farm boy/proud FFA member (gotta love those pest hunts)

PS - for those that don't know FFA is Future Farmers of America.

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to Car and Drive, noise transmission at cruising speeds for the Enclave is just 1dB lower than for Acadia (66 vs. 67).

Don't believe the hype.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts