GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm fumbling around looking for the place to check the trans fluid and I run across this space that appears to have two mount locations. Any ideas on what goes there and why it's not installed on my Acadia. The mounts are threaded on the bottom that's why I think it's a mount for something

Attachments

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
On mine there is a bracket there that supports a sort of can with some hoses coming out of it. I recall a recent thread here about that "can" being a brake vacuum booster. Does that match up?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BOBBO said:
On mine there is a bracket there that supports a sort of can with some hoses coming out of it. I recall a recent thread here about that "can" being a brake vacuum booster. Does that match up?
I remember that thread, but I thought they were talking about the Traverse and it was a brake booster. So maybe I don't have a brake booster; sometimes having the first year model of something can be frustrating

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So maybe I don't have a brake booster; sometimes having the first year model of something can be frustrating
Maybe you don't have it, or maybe you have it but it's in a different location on your vehicle. Something to check out.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly; maybe they intended to mount something there and then didn't. Anyone know if there is a brake booster for the 07's or what should be mounted in the space?

·
Registered
395 Posts
California Emmisions? They often add charcoal cannisters.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jseck2 said:
California Emmisions? They often add charcoal cannisters.
Unlikely; this vehicle was an order from the factory and has been in Arizona it's whole life; although the mounts could be there in case it is sent to CA

I see yours is an 07, do you have something mounted in that space?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, but nothings there; so is the power brake booster somewhere else or not installed

·
Registered
533 Posts
jsimms,

My guess is that you do not have it on your '07. If I can remember, I'll ask my "source" at GM if he knows why some '09s have it while others don't.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smooth said:
jsimms,

My guess is that you do not have it on your '07. If I can remember, I'll ask my "source" at GM if he knows why some '09s have it while others don't.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
423 Posts
the power brakes probably run off the P/S pump. booster takes up space.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
The 09's have an auxillary brake booster in that spot IIRC. Us 07 and 08 owners don't have this enhancement. I'll try to look up more info on this in SI.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
GeoHawk said:
The 09's have an auxillary brake booster in that spot IIRC. Us 07 and 08 owners don't have this enhancement. I'll try to look up more info on this in SI.
My best guess is that heated washer fluid is what's there. Here's photos of my Enclave that has something in that spot. I have the heated washer fluid, and also have the tow package, so it's either something to do with those options.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
GeoHawk said:
OK GeoHawk, totally off subject. This morning my son was watching one of the many recorded episodes of The Simpsons and I heard in the background "3 day waiting period, but I'm mad now!" LOL thought of you!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Irish said:
GeoHawk said:
OK GeoHawk, totally off subject. This morning my son was watching one of the many recorded episodes of The Simpsons and I heard in the background "3 day waiting period, but I'm mad now!" LOL thought of you!
:thumb: ;D My softball team is called the Isotopes, Springfield's minor leauge baseball team, and we all have names from characters from the show. I'm Barney... :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Back on topic, the part that is there on the '09s is the Power Brake Booster Auxiliary Pump.  See this thread...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4936.0

I don't know why the mounting points would already have been on the 07's and 08's, unless they had plans all along to put this booster in there and just didn't get around to it until the 09's.   ???

EDIT: Duh, note to self:  read the whole thread dummy, Blue already posted the link to the other thread.  :banghead:

The regular power brake booster on all of the Lambda's is mounted to the firewall, right where they have been for decades.  Only the '09 Lambdas have this auxillary pump though.  I don't know if for some reason the DI engine doesn't generate as much vacuum, though this seems unlikely. The better explanation may be the auxillary pump was included on the 09's to coincide with the increase in towing capacity from 4500 to 5200 lbs.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that makes sense; thanks for looking into it for me; an increase in tow rating would warrant some increase in braking

·
Registered
423 Posts
well the rotors and pads are not any larger. it is more for comfort i am sure.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks Geo, I was wondering if there was an echo in here. :)

Based on what I've read/seen, it more than likely serves the same purpose as a vacuum canister on a muscle car with an aggressive cam- they need a vacuum canister to supplement the booster at idle since they don't pull much vacuum at idle. Ours has one, and we have the tow package. I see jsimms has towing, but no canister. Anyone with an '09 w/o towing have one?

Here is some discussion / advertising about them:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235432

http://www.jegs.com/p/Crane/744674/10002/-1

1 - 20 of 37 Posts