GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was looking to see if I had the wiring for XM and/or any inputs into my current radio, I noticed that there is a 16-pin brown connector not connected to anything behind my radio. I currently have the upgraded bose/6-disc changer stereo. I am trying to figure out what I need or don't need to install XM into this vehicle. This connector is identical to the 16-pin black connector that plugs into the back of the radio. The brown connector has 5 wires attached to it, blue, orange, white, pink, and what looks like a shielded black wire.

Any ideas?

Also, I have a friend that works for Delphi, and he is giving me an XM tuner. I just need the pigtail that plugs between the original harness and the radio that allows me to plug in the XM tuner. I was hoping that this brown connector would work, but it doesn't have the correct number of wires, or have the wires in the correct location in the connector. Does anyone have a source for the pigtail?


Thanks,
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The XM module goes in the back - above the jack in the side compartment... I have no idea if the wiring is there for it or not. I do not have an XM module and have pretty much givenup on being able to get one. Would your friend have a spare?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how many 'spares' he can get from work. ;) He claims to have what I need to install XM, so we shall see.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,

We got the XM working! :thumb: We had to make a pigtail connector to connect the XM tuner to the back of the radio. I have the XM antenna temporarily attached behind the roof antenna. I cannot not determine if the stock antenna will receive XM also. I cannot find an extra lead for XM, so I am assuming that this antenna does not receive XM.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
webhair said:
Now that is interesting... They were suppose to be an all-in-one. Maybe they have different ones.
I believe there are two different antennas- "quad band" (AM/FM, GPS, Cell, XM) and "tri-band" for no XM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
jseck2 said:
webhair said:
Now that is interesting... They were suppose to be an all-in-one. Maybe they have different ones.
I believe there are two different antennas- "quad band" (AM/FM, GPS, Cell, XM) and "tri-band" for no XM.
Your correct if you didn't order XM from the factory you will not have the XM antenna, you will have to use a different external antenna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
wfyehl said:
Well,

We got the XM working! :thumb: We had to make a pigtail connector to connect the XM tuner to the back of the radio. I have the XM antenna temporarily attached behind the roof antenna. I cannot not determine if the stock antenna will receive XM also. I cannot find an extra lead for XM, so I am assuming that this antenna does not receive XM.

Bill
You don't happen to have the pin out do you or the molex plug you used? I also got a tuner from a friend but need the harness as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Acadia said:
You don't happen to have the pin out do you or the molex plug you used? I also got a tuner from a friend but need the harness as well.
Since my friend works at Delphi, he had the pinouts and the plug needed. Otherwise, I wasn't quite sure where to get the connectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
wfyehl said:
Acadia said:
You don't happen to have the pin out do you or the molex plug you used? I also got a tuner from a friend but need the harness as well.
Since my friend works at Delphi, he had the pinouts and the plug needed. Otherwise, I wasn't quite sure where to get the connectors.

Can you post the pin-outs

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iscifi said:
wfyehl said:
Acadia said:
You don't happen to have the pin out do you or the molex plug you used? I also got a tuner from a friend but need the harness as well.
Since my friend works at Delphi, he had the pinouts and the plug needed. Otherwise, I wasn't quite sure where to get the connectors.

Can you post the pin-outs

Thanks
I don't have the pin-outs. I'll try to get them, but it could be a while.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I believe the brown connector is probably for the DIC buttons that you do not have. There are other threads on the forum concerning this and installing the buttons with a transmission flash to get them to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
JasonM said:
I believe the brown connector is probably for the DIC buttons that you do not have. There are other threads on the forum concerning this and installing the buttons with a transmission flash to get them to work.
The DIC connector is not brown. In the attached picture, the DIC connector is the one on the top right.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JasonM said:
I believe the brown connector is probably for the DIC buttons that you do not have. There are other threads on the forum concerning this and installing the buttons with a transmission flash to get them to work.
I installed the DIC buttons already in my SLE, so I know for sure the brown connector is not for the DIC buttons. From some of the pictures I've seen in other threads, I think it goes to the radio with a DVD in it, or the NAV radio. I don't want to take apart my headliner to see if there is the other part of it there for the flip down LCD screen, but that is what I guess it is for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Do you remember the part number of the radio module that you received? There are probably two numbers, one say CI:xxxxxxxx and the other says GM:yyyyyyyy. Both would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Ed N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I'll reply to my self with what I have found.

The GM XM radio module is supplied by Delphi. The Delphi PN for the latest production module is 25911777. There are more than 1 GM PN that corresponds to the Delphi PN depending on which vehicle the module is used in and which software is loaded into the module. Confusing, I know.

The current GM procedures do not allow for a customer to walk into a GM dealer and order a module. The VIN number of the vehicle is required and that vehicle must have been equipped with XM from the factory for the dealer to be able to order a REPLACEMENT module. I'm sure there are ways for dealers to order modules without the correct VIN but none of the dealers I tried would do that. They can only order a module to replace a defective module and the bad part must be returned to GM when replaced.

I managed to order the correct PN from a seller on Ebay. Now to get it installed and working in my 2007 Outlook. I ordered a harness designed for an aftermarket XM adapter and modified it to work with the GM module by replacing a connector and wiring the correct pins to work with the GM module. That was the simple part.

All 2007 and later XM modules for use with GM vehicles which have the low speed LAN (or CAN) bus will 'marry' to the first vehicle they are installed in. This happens at the Vehicle Assembly Plant (VAP) when the vehicle is first powered at the end of the assembly line. The vehicle VIN number - last 6 digits - are stored in the XM module and checked against the vehicle VIN everytime the vehicle is started. If the numbers match presto, you have a functioning XM radio. If they don't match you will get a 'XM Theftlocked' message on your radio and no audio or other info from the XM module. GM dealers CAN NOT clear this message and get your module working. Their Tech2 diagnostic and programming equipment do not have that ability as supplied.

Since I work for Delphi - but in a different division than the one which manufactures the XM module - I pursued information on how to make the module work in my Outllook. I was fortunate that one of the engineers for the module manufacturing facility was able to help me and using software he had access to cleared the VN number from the module I purchased. This allowed me to install it in my Outlook and get it operating since it behaved as a new, unused module.

So now I have a working GM XM module in my Outlook. Total cost: $40 for the module + $40 to my Saturn dealer for the time the spent trying to get their Tech2 to make the module work. Total time: almost 3 weeks from the time I received the module to when I was able to finally install it and have it work. Was it worth it? Yes, for me it was but for others turn-key aftermarket solutions exist from other suppliers and is the recommended way to go.

As a warning to others: if you want to buy an GM XM module through Ebay be aware that it may not work in your vehicle. Current production modules may need to have the previous VIN cleared and most dealers can not - or will not - do that. Earlier modules - pre-2007 - may work in pre-2007 vehicles but I can not verify. Buyer beware.

Ed N.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top