GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post so please forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

We just took advantage of the new PEP2 Tagging program last weekend. We ended up tagging an 09 Acadia in Black from out in California. Should be here in a couple weeks. Spent way too many hours pouring over this forum the last few days trying to learn as much as possible. One question I have, that I haven't seen addressed yet:

Since the one I tagged was meant for sale in CA, are the emissions rules they have there going to choke some performance from my Acadia? Where I live in Ohio, we don't have those strict rules, and if I can make my dealer flash a different program or something to get rid of those restrictions, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for your help, advice, or even just point me where to look for more info...
Eric

·
Registered
294 Posts
If there is a difference, it would be extremely slight. You won't notice the difference.

I don't recall ever seeing different output figures for this engine in California emission trim.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Jackseric said:
Hello all, first post so please forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

We just took advantage of the new PEP2 Tagging program last weekend. We ended up tagging an 09 Acadia in Black from out in California. Should be here in a couple weeks. Spent way too many hours pouring over this forum the last few days trying to learn as much as possible. One question I have, that I haven't seen addressed yet:

Since the one I tagged was meant for sale in CA, are the emissions rules they have there going to choke some performance from my Acadia? Where I live in Ohio, we don't have those strict rules, and if I can make my dealer flash a different program or something to get rid of those restrictions, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for your help, advice, or even just point me where to look for more info...
Eric
They are not different. It has been many years since the larger automakers actually made separate cars for 49 state and CA delivery. The only real difference is that GM has to undertake a costly certification process for CA sale of any given model, and they divide the cost of that certification process up among the CA cars as an additional line item. If that is listed on the invoice, I imagine you are stuck with that cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really surprised there isn't a difference. I was checking out some order sheet someone had posted on here and saw the 2009 ordering options that said the following:

Info
Week of 12/22/2008 Effective 12/22/2008,the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
Mechanical section-(NB8) Emissions override, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, NewYork, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington, changed description to read "Emissions override, California (allows a dealer in states that require California emissions California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington to order Federal emissions for a vehicle that will be registered in a state that has Federal emission requirements).
Do not use for vehicles that will be registered in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington.

Mechanical section- (NC7) Emissions override, Federal, changed description to read "Emissions override, Federal (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington)".

Also, changed footnote1 to read" Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or

Just makes me think that if there's no difference, and all 50 states meet the requirements, why would there be the need to order them differently? (Not trying to argue with you, merely trying to understand)

EDIT
Quoted section cleaned up for legibility
Blue[/color]

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Your quote is difficult to read, but it seems there is some other RPO code for CA bound vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
Just remember that California is a bit stranger than most states, Eric. Unfortunately, this Californication is paid for by everyone in the country!

If the truth were really known, the new engines are governed well by the computers and multiple sensors to provide the most efficient performance in a commercially produced family vehicle. We probably could get rid of those smelly - and often stolen - catalytic converters if the vehicles were tested properly. Come to think of it, we could bag the converters and sack the government that made us put them on as well!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Just remember that California is a bit stranger than most states, Eric. Unfortunately, this Californication is paid for by everyone in the country!

If the truth were really known, the new engines are governed well by the computers and multiple sensors to provide the most efficient performance in a commercially produced family vehicle.[/color] We probably could get rid of those smelly - and often stolen - catalytic converters if the vehicles were tested properly. Come to think of it, we could bag the converters and sack the government that made us put them on as well!
Emissions testing.............another way for the state to boost income IMO; I think emissions testing should be mandated for vehicles 15 years or older; new vehicles are governed to the point I'm surprised anything toxic comes out of them

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I edited the quoted section by spacing out the words and dividing it into paragraphs so it is easier to read.

What I'm seeing is info (codes) from the ordering guide as relates to emissions. I'm not aware of any advertised difference in power output for CA etc. equipped vehicles vs. Federal ones, so I'd say this is a non-issue as relates to your original question.

As far as what is physically different on them, I'd say at least a label. What GerryL posted makes sense. To specifically know the differences, I think only someone at GMC could properly answer this question since it is not something that has been publicized to my knowledge. For this stuff unlike fleet (police/taxi) equipment, you have to delve into it a bit to see what is different, if anything is. These type of codes exist for GM's line use and are something we as end users never really think about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First let me say, thank you all for taking time out of your day to ponder the questions/ideas that I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one that thinks that way. ;D

Second... I don't know whether to be happy or sad? I guess I'm happy to know there isn't anything choking my car just because it's coming from Cali. But on the flip side, it'd have been nice to find out there was some special "California Muffler Bearing" that I could've gotten rid of... and magically found 15 extra horses! :D

Thanks all for your input!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I guess a sure way to tell would be for someone who bought their Acadia in CA to take a look at their window sticker (if they still have it) and see if there is anything mentioned about CA emissions

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Jackseric said:
First let me say, thank you all for taking time out of your day to ponder the questions/ideas that I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one that thinks that way. ;D

Second... I don't know whether to be happy or sad? I guess I'm happy to know there isn't anything choking my car just because it's coming from Cali. But on the flip side, it'd have been nice to find out there was some special "California Muffler Bearing" that I could've gotten rid of... and magically found 15 extra horses! :D

Thanks all for your input!
Not a problem. :thumb:

Time is something I have a lot of... and I am constantly thinking, usually 18 hours a day or so.

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
Jackseric said:
I guess I'm happy to know there isn't anything choking my car just because it's coming from Cali.

Now this part of the message could lead to some GREAT California humor!! :angel:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts