GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer has told me that the electronic shift control assembly on my 2017 Acadia is not covered by power train warranty or My extended bumper to bumper five year coverage. Is this true?
Regards.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I would not expect it to be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Is your extended warrant the GM warranty or from one of those companies that calls at dinner time every night?

I would expect the GM warranty to cover that repair.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My dealer has told me that the electronic shift control assembly on my 2017 Acadia is not covered by power train warranty or My extended bumper to bumper five year coverage. Is this true?
Regards.
You can try another GM dealer and/or show them this TSB if this is the "shift control assembly" in questions. There is also a newer part to remedy this problem.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166630-9999.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,965 Posts
My dealer has told me that the electronic shift control assembly on my 2017 Acadia is not covered by ... my extended bumper to bumper five year coverage. Is this true?
Regards.
Can't tell without knowing what extended service policy you purchased. Your warranty documents should spell out what's covered and what's excluded. Extended service plans usually aren't as comprehensive as a 'new car' B2B warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Under most cases a good bumper to bumper will cover it. I would contact the warranty company to see what they say. Not all warranties are the same so what one you have can matter. No drivetrain will not cover it.

The GM TSB to put in the connector is not hard or difficult if you are a little handy. I was going to do this myself if we had not traded to a new model.

Best thing is to read up on the issue and even if you do not fix it yourself know exactly what and why this is going on. It will help you deal with this and resolve it better.

Yes it is a pain but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Regards.
If you wish more info or how to repair this yourself, here are two threads that show how to move the console to have access to the needed repair. The first shows how and list the few bolts and fasteners (Posting #8) needed to be removed.
The second thread follows a progression of where the actual micro switch is and what causes it. For some, there is also a small pin in the shift handle that moves out of place and binds. The fix for that is to take apart the shift handle lever and reinsert the pin and apply a bit of glue to hold it in place.
Center console buzz - how to get to base of shifter?

Tested working, 2017 shift to park fix.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Under most cases a good bumper to bumper will cover it. I would contact the warranty company to see what they say. Not all warranties are the same so what one you have can matter. No drivetrain will not cover it.

The GM TSB to put in the connector is not hard or difficult if you are a little handy. I was going to do this myself if we had not traded to a new model.

Best thing is to read up on the issue and even if you do not fix it yourself know exactly what and why this is going on. It will help you deal with this and resolve it better.

Yes it is a pain but not the end of the world.
Do not rely on the dealer/mechanic telling you that it is not covered by the extended warranty. I recently had a repair done at the dealer and they said it was not covered. I called the warranty company and they said that the dealer's personnel had never even contacted them about the repair.

George

·
Super Moderator
21,965 Posts
Under most cases a good bumper to bumper will cover it. ...
This is misleading. It should be stated that only the "best" extended service plan comes close to the 'new car' B2B warranty. A gauge for this is the chart of coverage for GMEPP plans (available on most GM websites). Significant differences exist between the GMEPP Platinum (best offer) and GMEPP Silver (good offer) - both sold as B2B protection plans. GMEPP Silver won't cover the shifter repair while the Platinum Plan will. People should do research on other 'off-brand' plans offered to them before purchasing one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is misleading. It should be stated that only the "best" extended service plan comes close to the 'new car' B2B warranty. A gauge for this is the chart of coverage for GMEPP plans (available on most GM websites). Significant differences exist between the GMEPP Platinum (best offer) and GMEPP Silver (good offer) - both sold as B2B protection plans. GMEPP Silver won't cover the shifter repair while the Platinum Plan will. People should do research on other plans offered to them before purchasing one.
What is misleading?

Good warrantied cover most things bad cover only the basics in some cases not even that. You need to read the details before you buy. Most people buy under pressure and impulse and get stuck with a bad warranty.

GM has several plans and there are many good independent plans. But buyers need to do their due diligence to know what they are buying.

Extended warranties are often just profit centers for dealers. They are good for people that are not disciplined enough or able to keep money in savings. If you can afford to keep that money set aside then generally you are best to not buy it.

Your opinion is not the only one here.

Buyer Beware. Most people buy on an impulse and get ripped off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do not rely on the dealer/mechanic telling you that it is not covered by the extended warranty. I recently had a repair done at the dealer and they said it was not covered. I called the warranty company and they said that the dealer's personnel had never even contacted them about the repair.

George
This happens way too often. Even if you have a good warranty some shops may not do their best to get things covered. It is bad enough to have to worry if they are repairing the car correctly but then you have to be concerned and follow up to make sure they are taking care of the warranty plan.

·
Super Moderator
21,965 Posts
Your opinion is not the only one here.
I wasn't giving an opinion. I was stating facts for those who consider purchasing an extended service plan.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
This happens way too often. Even if you have a good warranty some shops may not do their best to get things covered. It is bad enough to have to worry if they are repairing the car correctly but then you have to be concerned and follow up to make sure they are taking care of the warranty plan.
That's not true. My son is a service advisor. He will go out of his way to get repairs covered under warranty. His quarterly bonus depends on happy customers.

The challenge comes with many of the third party warranty companies. Some can make claim approval very challenging. Way too many gray areas.

I won't drive a daily driver not covered under warranty and it's going to be the best factory backed warranty available.

·
Super Moderator
21,965 Posts
That's not true. My son is a service advisor. He will go out of his way to get repairs covered under warranty. ...

The challenge comes with many of the third party warranty companies. ...
+1 That's the way it was when I was writing service. We had to know all the nuances of warranties offered by GM (I worked at Chevy and Cadillac dealers). There weren't so many aftermarket extended service plans back then, but they were more often than not a PITA to get a lot of things done when we encountered them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Regards.
I would not expect it to be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Is your extended warrant the GM warranty or from one of those companies that calls at dinner time every night?

I would expect the GM warranty to cover that repair.
I picked up my vehicle today and paid $549.00 to repair the shift to park issue. I have the GM Total Plus warranty 5yr/160 bumper to bumper. My dealer would not honor my warranty or inquire with GM Canada. I called GM Canada claims and after some time I was connected with an ambassador. He was helpful and I forwarded him my invoice for reimbursement. I will wait for a cheque to arrive in the mail.

·
Super Moderator
21,965 Posts
I picked up my vehicle today and paid $549.00 to repair the shift to park issue. I have the GM Total Plus warranty 5yr/160 bumper to bumper. My dealer would not honor my warranty or inquire with GM Canada. I called GM Canada claims and after some time I was connected with an ambassador. He was helpful and I forwarded him my invoice for reimbursement. I will wait for a cheque to arrive in the mail.
Good to know this. I just checked out an online description of your warranty. It looks like a really comprehensive GM policy sold at Canadian dealerships with a different title than the U.S. plans. Was the repair done in the U.S.? If so, coverage could have been easily resolved with the dealer if they had initially been in contact with GM Canada. A dealer in Canada should have known better! Sorry you had to go through all the extra hassle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. My dealer is in British Columbia, Canada. I will let the forum know if and when I receive reimbursement. Kind regards.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Good to know this. I just checked out an online description of your warranty. It looks like a really comprehensive GM policy sold at Canadian dealerships with a different title than the U.S. plans. Was the repair done in the U.S.? If so, coverage could have been easily resolved with the dealer if they had initially been in contact with GM Canada. A dealer in Canada should have known better! Sorry you had to go through all the extra hassle.
+1, reviewing the Total Plus warranty I would certainly expect that repair to have been covered. Hopefully GM will make good on the reimbursement promise.

·
Registered
278 Posts
GM will make good under that warranty. This is a failure on the dealer to provide the work under coverage.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks. My dealer is in British Columbia, Canada. I will let the forum know if and when I receive reimbursement. Kind regards.
Hey fellow BC-ite, hope you get this rectified.
Grant
Kelowna

1 - 20 of 23 Posts