GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nav system is putting small white dots on the screen most, but not all, places that we go. It puts them close together where there is a new road not shown on the map. It also puts them about every 1/4 mile as we drive along certain roads that are shown on the map. They just keep piling up and it looks like they will eventually obliterate some detail.

What causes them to display and how do I clear them? I can find nothing about them in the Nav Manual. ???

Thanks,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Push the button with the musical note over it.
It takes you to the menu/adjustment screen.
Select NAV option on the touch screen.
Select the Off-Road Mode option.
The Off-Road Mode should now be off (last picture).
Return to normal driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, it did the trick. :thumb:

Thanks,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cool. I knew there was an "off-road" feature but I didn't know it left the breadcrumbs. I just thought it turned off the "stay on the nearest road" bias. My wife and I were just talking about breadcrumbs on hiking GPSes and saying "wouldn't it be cool if..." I guess it is there!

Now an even cooler feature would be a "road add". There is a new road available that lets us go a much shorter route than used to be available, however it isn't on the GPS's map (hence, new road). Wouldn't it be cool if one could push a button and drive on the road to enter it in the system. It could measure the speed one drove it and enter that as well automatically. The only other piece of information one might need to add is a street name. Once entered, the router would use all available information, including the data entered this way, in determining your best route.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hgpayne said:
Cool. I knew there was an "off-road" feature but I didn't know it left the breadcrumbs. I just thought it turned off the "stay on the nearest road" bias. My wife and I were just talking about breadcrumbs on hiking GPSes and saying "wouldn't it be cool if..." I guess it is there!

Now an even cooler feature would be a "road add". There is a new road available that lets us go a much shorter route than used to be available, however it isn't on the GPS's map (hence, new road). Wouldn't it be cool if one could push a button and drive on the road to enter it in the system. It could measure the speed one drove it and enter that as well automatically. The only other piece of information one might need to add is a street name. Once entered, the router would use all available information, including the data entered this way, in determining your best route.
Great idea :) It would probably be a little difficult to store that information as the NAV disc is a DVD. Who knows, I am sure in a few years it will be able to do that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not to get off topic, but this thread leads me to ask another question.

Is there anyone who has actually taken their Acadia off-road and to what degree did you go "off-roading"? I assume not rock-clinmbing, but any degree of difficulty? How did it handle? :binky:

·
Registered
164 Posts
alvam said:

Is there anyone who has actually taken their Acadia off-road and to what degree did you go "off-roading"? I assume not rock-clinmbing, but any degree of difficulty? How did it handle? :binky:
It really depends upon what you consider off-roading. Some people hear the term and immediately picture a Jeep in the Moab. Others consider gravel roads, beaches, national parks, etc as off road areas. It doesn't have to be extreme to be considered off road.
I've gone Christmas tree shopping on farms where I wouldn't be comfortable in a car. But the AWD on my Outlook and seating height for visibilty handled it with no issue. The front air dam is pretty durable.
I don't have pics of my Outlook in the field but attached is of one on the beach.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
someone said:
Great idea :) It would probably be a little difficult to store that information as the NAV disc is a DVD. Who knows, I am sure in a few years it will be able to do that.
It has to have SOME memory -- after all, the address book entries are not on the DVD and any stored voice tags take up more storage. I would imagine they have some flash memory of some kind in the system. Flash memory is so cheap anymore, they could throw 4 Gig in for < $20 expense and that would be plenty for all address book entries, voice tags, and extra road entries.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
alvam said:

I parked in a field when we when to the pumpkin patch in Oct. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
GAR said:
alvam said:

I parked in a field when we when to the pumpkin patch in Oct. :)
^^^ lol ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts