GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this doesn't happen every day. I know it's about to happen when I hear a static sound coming from the drivers side dash. Kinda like the stereo has a lose wire. When I'm driving the headlights will flicker like not off and on but bright dim. When I get to a stop the car will completely die no lights radio I mean nothing. Sometimes it will come back to life immediately, other times I have to put in park and restart which it does no problem. The battery gauge reads good. This morning after it happened check engine light came on P2070. But after I had that checked it is no longer on. I am completely lost on what this could be. Battery? Alternator? It runs fine at times and other times it happens multiple times usually in the morning it's worse. Please point me in a general direction.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Being a 2008 . . check for poor, corroded or damaged ground cables to the engine block, transmission, and frame. They they look good, but unfasten the nuts or bolts connecting ground cables the points mentioned, clean them with a wire brush to bare metal. Repair or replace any that are really damaged. Coat with a thin coat of grease before reattaching the cables using new factory nuts or bolts or stainless steel if possible.
Also, check the fuse box under the dash on passenger side.
It seems a problem point where an occasional water leak can corrode the underside of the fuse block and wiring to it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Being a 2008 . . check for poor, corroded or damaged ground cables to the engine block, transmission, and frame. They they look good, but unfasten the nuts or bolts connecting ground cables the points mentioned, clean them with a wire brush to bare metal. Repair or replace any that are really damaged. Coat with a thin coat of grease before reattaching the cables using new factory nuts or bolts or stainless steel if possible.
It seems a problem point where an occasional water leak can corrode the underside of the fuse block and wiring to it.
Is this all earlier Acadia's? I thought most of those problems were cause by leaky sunroofs and water flowing down the A pillar?

·
Super Moderator
21,140 Posts
Is this all earlier Acadia's? ...
A grounding problem usually doesn't happen unless someone has worked in the area before. Some folks don't pay close attention to what's nearby when they're wrenching on something and break a connection. Often times, that break is unseen when things get put back together and it takes a while to manifest itself into a real problem.

Reactions: SpartyOn

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Is this all earlier Acadia's? I thought most of those problems were cause by leaky sunroofs and water flowing down the A pillar?
It is just one thing I mentioned as a possibility since it has occurred apart form Acadias without a sun roof too.
There have been several posts here in this forum and others on Lamda forums where as the vehicle ages front window seals break down and allow water to enter behind the dash.
Think about a vehicle sitting out in the hot sun during the day then cooling at night. Or in winter. . . being exposed to sub zero temps and things contract.
Both of those things can break a window seal over time and as sealants age and perhaps become less resilient.
It happened a lot on cars and trucks years ago as well and more often.

Reactions: SpartyOn

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is just one thing I mentioned as a possibility since it has occurred apart form Acadias without a sun roof too.
There have been several posts here in this forum and others on Lamda forums where as the vehicle ages front window seals break down and allow water to enter behind the dash.
Think about a vehicle sitting out in the hot sun during the day then cooling at night. Or in winter. . . being exposed to sub zero temps and things contract.
Both of those things can break a window seal over time and as sealants age and perhaps become less resilient.
It happened a lot on cars and trucks years ago as well and more often.
I understand all that, but I know specifically that there were a decent amount water intrusion incidents in the early Lambda run due to faulty sunroof seals and poor drain design/clogging. It's well documented.

I thought maybe you had data pointing to something specific regarding his model year, but I see now you're just pointing out a pragmatic solution for all vehicles.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I understand all that, but I know specifically that there were a decent amount water intrusion incidents in the early Lambda run due to faulty sunroof seals and poor drain design/clogging. It's well documented.

I thought maybe you had data pointing to something specific regarding his model year, but I see now you're just pointing out a pragmatic solution for all vehicles.
Yes . . aware of the chronic sun roof drain issue. But there have been a few who just had leaking windshields and or cowl leaks of one sort or another.
It seems a general design issue of those Acadias that the firewall area seemed inclined to general water intrusion from a few sources.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyway, sorry for the digression, sounds like a potential alternator issue to me. Could be just the belt. Dimming lights and weird noises leads me down that pathway.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Agree . . . electrical in these modern era vehicles is amazing and can be frustrating all at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I'm gonna do that this weekend... I haven't had an issue for two days now and it's making me crazy the cars acting like everything is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts