GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Acadia just started showing the steering assist warning when starting the car. Engine fans keep running on high and a/c stopped. After reading all the threads on this type of problem, a few posts mentioned cleaning the negative battery terminal. I figured worth a try. My terminal was clean, but by removing the battery connector and reattaching it, all the problems went away. Maybe it just reset a sensor? I’ll report back if the problem comes back.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali, 2004 Mercedes S-500, 1994 Corvette Convertible
41 Posts
I have the same problem on a '17...same symptoms. The A/C would not engage the clutch so I took it in to my dealer. Truck has 44K miles so is well within powertrain warranty limits. The Service Manager ran the codes and found "Bad Coolant Temp Sensor on Thermostat Housing" or possible bad thermostat housing. SM then informed me that these components are not covered under the Powertrain Warranty. I showed him in the Warranty Booklet where it was covered under the Federal Emissions 70,000 mile warranty, called GM Customer Service, got a confirmation and a case number. So now it IS being covered under warranty. Dealer is replacing the entire Thermostat Housing and sensor which according to him requires R & R of the Intake Manifold and Fuel injection Rails. Problem now is that they can't find the part anywhere in North America in the parts system or at another dealer. Funny thing...I went on line and found 10: of them in 10 seconds for about $45 next day delivery. Dealer says they can't get the part before Friday and gave us a new Buick Envision for a loaner.

Apparently what happens when the temp sensor on the T-Stat housing goes bad it sends a signal to the ECM that the engine is overheating, causes the temp gauge to peg to "C", shuts down A/C Compressor Clutch engagement to not exacerbate the Overheat condition and super speeds the cooling fans. Of course it's a false flag warning and the engine isn't actually running hot. At the same time a signal to the ECM also tells the Power Steering Rack that it's Super Cold out and the lube in the steering system may freeze up causing loss of steering assist.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way but we are all at the mercy of the lack of quality of all of these **** sensors and the vehicles built over the past 25 years becoming more and more dependent upon them working properly. Back in October, right after we passed the 36K mile "Trip Wire", we lost the "Body Control Module" which shuts everything down. I shelled out close to a Grand on that one even though the warranty book says the "Vehicle Control Module" is covered by the powertrain warranty. Turns out that the "Body Control Module and "Vehicle Control Module" are two different modules. I asked the service/parts people at the dealer to show me one of each so I could see the difference...of course they didn't have a "Vehicle Control Module" in stock to show me.I lost that battle.

This seems to be a "Cross Platform" issue with all of the GM Cars and Trucks and from what I hear from owners of other brands,this is not something that is unique to GM.

My wife has a good Idea...she says "Sell the Acadia, through some extra money in from savings and by an old GTO, 442, or SS Chevelle from the 60s and say goodbye to the sensors. The Acadia is her car and she doesn't drive it muich...the 60s muscle car idea is starting to look better and better !!(y):cool:

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali, 2004 Mercedes S-500, 1994 Corvette Convertible
41 Posts
OK...just got the Acadia back from the dealer. Problem solved. The R & Rd the T-Stat Housing, T-Stat & Sensor. They also flushed and re filled the cooling system. I caught a break and it was all performed via the powertrain warranty. All is back to normal. Good GMC Dealer in Ocala, Florida. BTW...the Fault Code was P0128.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
OK...just got the Acadia back from the dealer. Problem solved. The R & Rd the T-Stat Housing, T-Stat & Sensor. They also flushed and re filled the cooling system. I caught a break and it was all performed via the powertrain warranty. All is back to normal. Good GMC Dealer in Ocala, Florida. BTW...the Fault Code was P0128.
So the BCM did not need to be replaced? Seems odd if it did.

Or if it did. . . what has that got to do with the T-stat and sensor problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Acadia just started showing the steering assist warning when starting the car. Engine fans keep running on high and a/c stopped. After reading all the threads on this type of problem, a few posts mentioned cleaning the negative battery terminal. I figured worth a try. My terminal was clean, but by removing the battery connector and reattaching it, all the problems went away. Maybe it just reset a sensor? I’ll report back if the problem comes back.
I have same problem, also when it happens the temp Guage quits as well. First time, I ended up with a code saying low temperature warning/open thermostat. Happens ever so often, I do the same thing, pull off negative cable and it's good to go for a while again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts