GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why GM did not put the Acadia out compatible with E85 fuel?
They put out the 07 Yukons with it, why not the 07 or atleast 08 Acadias?

If the topic has been discussed already, I am sorry, but I didn't see the thread.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am curious if GM did not make the 3.6L engine E85 capable because they were concerned with any additional mpg drop related to E85.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SEL said:
I am curious if GM did not make the 3.6L engine E85 capable because they were concerned with any additional mpg drop related to E85.
This could be a big factor (20-30% reduction), although there might be some technical issues with the engine itself. I'm not convinced the overall environmental and economic impact of corn ethanol is as positive as the govt. and GM are publicizing anyway. Maybe cellulosic ethanol will change that. I probably wouldn't buy E85 even if I could get it, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree Snoguy, I wouldn't choose E85 over the current E10 offerings in my area until the price variation was more in line. There is (1) E85 station in all of Delaware and it has a 50 cents price increase over regular grade gas.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Remember that the Yukon has a choice of 3 different engines in it and the Acadia only has a single engine available. In the Yukon, only the most expensive one is actually Flex-fuel capable. Making an engine capable of running on Gas and Ethanol requires quite a few changes to hoses, pumps, tanks, etc due to the fact that gasoline and alcohol interact with different materials differently. Also, you have to have a sensor that is capable of differentiating when it is running on E85 vs. regular gas and then the computer programming to change how the engine actually functions based on those readings.

All-in-all, since the Acadia only has a single engine in it, I'm guessing that is why there is no flex-fuel capability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cost! GM wants the Chevy brand to be their E85 flagship. They won't pour all of their money on newer designed cars until they prove their worth. Also E85 isn't available in all areas Also a reason for only one engine option. Nav units and Leather is cheaper than E85 components :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts