GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with factory installed DVD system:

1) Does the DVD load upfront in the same slot as CDs.

2) Can you listen to CDs simultaneously if a DVD is playing? More specifically, if passengers in back have headphones on, can you (passengers without headphones) still listen to CDs.

The reason I ask, is because on a long trips, not everyone wants to watch / listen (front seat) to the DVD.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
1) there are 2 slots upfront - the top one is a DVD player (which can also play CDs). The lower one is a CD only. Both can play real CDs, MP3 cds or WMA cds. THe DVD player can also play mp3 DVDs, but I believe they have a 512 song limit per disk.

2) You can listen to as many as three different sources at once (one for the speakers, and one for each of the headphone outputs). A source is defined as DVD slot, CD slot, AM/FM, XM, front AUX input, rear AUX input. For example, the main speakers can be playing an FM station, while headphone #1 can be listening to an XM station and the other headphone can listen to the DVD audio. The only caveat is that headphone input #1 is always DVD. The other two can obviously choose any other source. It's extremely flexible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
I was worried about losing a CD changer with the rear entertainment, but it dawned on me that I'd much rather deal with just 1 (one) iPod than a pile (PILE) of CD jewel cases, etc etc.

I read about the iPod integration kit (PAL?) and I need to find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
John,
See...
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=54.0
There are two options:
1 - Connect iPod from the Aux plug in the stereo to the headphone output on the iPod. But, you have to control the iPod from the unit.
2 - Purchase and add GM Personal Audio Link to control iPod from the stereo/NAV and steering wheel controls.

I'm still trying to get full info about the PAL on the Acadia. Haven't been in a dealership while the parts dept has been open to look at a unit and it's documentation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I have the Navigation and the DVD ENtertainment system. In my system, the DVD and the CDs go in the same slot at the top of the navigation system. It is not possible to load more than one, so it is not possible to put a movie on for the kids and listen to another CD.

Gmuch

optionstrail said:
For those of you with factory installed DVD system:

1) Does the DVD load upfront in the same slot as CDs.

2) Can you listen to CDs simultaneously if a DVD is playing? More specifically, if passengers in back have headphones on, can you (passengers without headphones) still listen to CDs.

The reason I ask, is because on a long trips, not everyone wants to watch / listen (front seat) to the DVD.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
Gmuch - That's lousy to hear but good to know. So that's a pretty big difference between the NAV and non-nav radios if you plan on using the DVD a lot (and with our kids, we do quite a bit).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
admin said:
THe DVD player can also play mp3 DVDs, but I believe they have a 512 song limit per disk.
I think I just discovered that tonight with a DVD I made. I has 620+ songs on it and it stopped mid scan.

Figured I'd try just going with a couple discs of different groups and keep in the 250-300 range since the scanning function can take awhile when you first put the disc in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
admin said:
Gmuch - That's lousy to hear but good to know. So that's a pretty big difference between the NAV and non-nav radios if you plan on using the DVD a lot (and with our kids, we do quite a bit).
An interesting thing about having the DVD and Nav is that when you put your Acadia in park, the DVD video shows on the front NAV screen...

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Does that mean it doubles as a movie theater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
luvmyacadia said:
The DVD picture on the front screen is darker than the picture on the rear DVD player. Does anyone else notice a difference??
Yes, I agree, by default the front screen for viewing DVDs is quite a bit darker. I have not tried playing with the brightness controls to see if that makes a difference. It seems this system is only a software hack away from having front video all the time --- not that I would watch DVD while driving, but maybe the passenger would?

Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
Pelle31 said:
Figured I'd try just going with a couple discs of different groups and keep in the 250-300 range since the scanning function can take awhile when you first put the disc in.
That scanning function is cool, but poorly implemented, IMO. It would have cost 50 cents to put a very small (1 MB) flash card, or some other non-volatile memory in there so that it could remember the ID3 info as long as the disc stayed in place. Having to wait another 5 minutes to rescan after stopping at a gas station or something is ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
I have had problems with my brightness control. Most of the time it doesn't work. The contrast button on the other side works. I have to have it checked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Admin, I couldn't agree with you more -- the repetitive scanning is incredibly annoying!

Of course, my only DVD-R experience so far had way more than the supported number of mp3's on it, so maybe that made the problem worse. I'll have to try a smaller one and see if there's any difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Gills said:
Admin, I couldn't agree with you more -- the repetitive scanning is incredibly annoying!

Of course, my only DVD-R experience so far had way more than the supported number of mp3's on it, so maybe that made the problem worse. I'll have to try a smaller one and see if there's any difference.
there is a difference. but still takes too long.

I do notice that it keeps spinning even when the car is off. It seems, so long as I keep the DVD in there, it's OK. That's fine for during the week but when the kids are in the car, they're not going to stand for listening to Rush songs ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
Gills - my initial MP3 test was a disk I just popped out of my car and put in the Acadia. It had about 30 songs on it and still took several minutes. I'd estimate 3 minutes... y a w n
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I've got another CD issue -- I have an audio (not .mp3) CD in that I burned myself.

When it's set to random, it plays songs twice before randomizing the entire disc, i.e. it plays 4, 17, 3, 14, 4, 12, 17 and so on. This is without switching sources, turning the engine off or otherwise interrupting the playback.

I used to have a Sony home CD changer that did this, 10 years ago! I'd have thought they'd be beyond this by now.

That said, the sound system rocks and is a far cry from my Alero with it's blown (oops!) rear speakers. Cranks out Limelight & Tom Sawyer very nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
What a 'Rush' that must be!

:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
JohnFitz said:
What a 'Rush' that must be!

:p
new album due out in May so more Rush will be had ;D


The scanning "feature" is annoying. I really do wish they either had a better way to index the disc or a little bit of memory added.

I'm planning on making some WMA CDs instead of the DVD I've burned since it's crazy to wait 4-5 minutes each time you start the car. Oh well. I normally just leave XM on anyway so it certainly isn't a major issue for me. Just filed under "it woulda been nice if...."
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top