GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok when I went looking for a acadia they either had one with the 10 speakers or one with just the regular six with the dvd player so I decided to get the one with the 10 speaker and the dealer installed a dvd player that feed off a FM frequency in order to hear it and it sucks everytime I travel I always have to change the station and sometimes none of the staions work well I got the wireless headphones but my daughter is young and doesnt like the headphone so my question is can I get the stock dvd player that comes with a acadia and get it installed into my car????

·
Registered
84 Posts
It may be possible, but likely not. They would have to wire the DVD player into the electrical system, because the audio is played over the speakers, along with the CDs, XM and Onstar. If it is possible, it won't be very cost effective.

I feel for you. I bit the bullet on the Factory option for the EXACT reasons you mentioned. I used a portable XM unit in my old car, and the FM transmitter always had interference. I'm really glad I don't have that problem with the DVD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
**** that sucks I shouldve just gotten the one with the dvd player already in it its really annoying when you hear the static

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
megalos said:
... dvd player that feed off a FM frequency in order to hear it and it sucks everytime I travel I always have to change the station and sometimes none of the staions work ...
I had a dealer installed DVD that fed through the FM in my past car. It used an FM modulator that transmitted the DVD sound in the FM radio. This modulator was installed in line with the FM antenna feed to the radio. There was a power switch that they installed for the FM modulator that I could turn on or off. When on, none of the FM stations would receive well, similar to what you describe. When switched off, the DVD music could no longer be heard through the FM radio, but he FM reception would be back to normal. I bet you have a switch somewhere that you need toggle to get good FM reception.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was supposed to pick up an Acadia this weekend and have the dealer install a flipdown DVD system (we were unable to find the color options we wanted with DVD and no NAV anywhere in Southern California) :banghead:. Now after reading this thread I am a bit hesitant to make the purchase as I dont want to deal with static and changing frequencies.

So for those of you that went with a dealer installed DVD system:

1. How clear is the audio using the fm transmitter?

2. Do you have to change the radio frequency often to find an open channel when traveling? Is it a pain to do this?

3. Any of you live in So. California? I know finding open stations down here can be difficult?

4. Is it a pain not having control over the DVD player from the front seat?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the radio works fine I have no problems with it its the dvd player that sucks it real staticy and sometimes it doesn't work at all with the radio stations that are picking up the signal

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
RedRooster said:
I was supposed to pick up an Acadia this weekend and have the dealer install a flipdown DVD system (we were unable to find the color options we wanted with DVD and no NAV anywhere in Southern California) :banghead:. Now after reading this thread I am a bit hesitant to make the purchase as I dont want to deal with static and changing frequencies.

So for those of you that went with a dealer installed DVD system:

1. How clear is the audio using the fm transmitter?

2. Do you have to change the radio frequency often to find an open channel when traveling? Is it a pain to do this?

3. Any of you live in So. California? I know finding open stations down here can be difficult?

4. Is it a pain not having control over the DVD player from the front seat?

Thanks for your help.
I think the answers to your questions will depend on what system the dealer installs. For example, the one I had put in to my Montana did have control from the front seat as they put in an in dash DVD player. I never had any problem with the FM or the DVD player sound.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
megalos said:
the radio works fine I have no problems with it its the dvd player that sucks it real staticy and sometimes it doesn't work at all with the radio stations that are picking up the signal
I get it. That sucks. I would take it back and tell them it is not right and you want it fixed. The sound from a DVD system should be crystal clear ALL of the time. I bet they have something wrong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can try the dealer, but I think you are stuck, unfortunately. I grilled the dealers on this topic, because if I didn't get the factory DVD, I would have skipped the order altogether, and taken a car off the lot months ago.

If you have an aftermarket DVD, it's ALWAYS going to be broadcast with an FM transmitter. They can hardwire the transmitter, but even then, you will have interference, or static when another car, playing over the same FM station drives by you.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I've brought this up several times on "Dealer installed DVD" threads. No FM transmitter will ever be very good quality. They are simply too low powered and there's WAY too much interference. I hate to say this, but I highly doubt you'll ever be able to get better quality from it - it's not a faulty unit, it's a faulty design :-\

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My DVD/TV was dealer installed. My reception is BRILLIANT!! We listened to Harry Potter and it sounded like we were in the theater. The TV coming through the FM wasn't as good. The first thing I would try is finding another radio station. We were told that if you have your preset for the DVD close to a known radio station, it will get feedback. I am not sure exactly how to change it, but my son did it in less than a minute. If this doesn't help, take it back, mine has GREAT sound!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts