GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 SLT2 with the nav system and dvd player. About 85% of the movie DVDs we load in the dash player for the kids (mostly Disney) come back as "Disc Error" then the disc is ejected and the radio comes on. Is this a common problem that can be easily resolved? I've gotten the error with both burned discs as well as brand new store bought (totally unbleamished) discs as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having this problem now too. GMC has replaced the player once and now they say they don't know what else to do that this is a common problem.

Did yours ever get fixed? Anyone else having this problem? It doesn't appear to be that common.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had that so I took it into the dealer and they replaced the head unit. All is well now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The saga continues on this. I took it into the dealer last week and they confirmed that there was a problem but could not fix it. They contacted the mothership at GM tech support but that didn't help either. The GM tech support mothership is now sending an "upgrade" disc for this unit....so I will once again be forced to go back to the dealership. The worst part is that the mothership is refusing to send along a replacement unit so the dealer can have it on hand in the very likely event that the "upgrade" disc is unsuccessful. This will undoubtedly force me back to the dealer a third time for this DVD fix. What ever happened to customer service??? Can't blame the dealer but the GM techies are really not using foresight on this one. :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
19 Posts
billybaroo56 said:
The saga continues on this. I took it into the dealer last week and they confirmed that there was a problem but could not fix it. They contacted the mothership at GM tech support but that didn't help either. The GM tech support mothership is now sending an "upgrade" disc for this unit....so I will once again be forced to go back to the dealership. The worst part is that the mothership is refusing to send along a replacement unit so the dealer can have it on hand in the very likely event that the "upgrade" disc is unsuccessful. This will undoubtedly force me back to the dealer a third time for this DVD fix. What ever happened to customer service??? Can't blame the dealer but the GM techies are really not using foresight on this one. :banghead: :banghead:
I'm having the same problem with my 08 SLT-2, factory unit w/NAV. I've only had the vehicle for a short while, and just got back from a nice 1200 mile road trip with the kids. The vehicle is not new, but is new to us. It all seemed in good working order when I purchased (I tried a DVD in the unit and it played fine). About every other movie, it will play fine at the start, then it gets part way thru and starts to freeze and then ... "disc error". I'm getting tired of listening to my kids whine. I'm wondering if it is a heat issue. I haven't tried one of those DVD cleaner discs...do they work? How long is the factory warranty on these units? ???

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it is fixed and works fine now. I did try the disc cleaner at one point and it seemed to help a little....but then the disc error came back with a vengeance. Unfortunately it seems like the only solution is to have GM replace the unit. Luckily mine was still under warranty and the dealer was kind enough to throw me keys to a loaner all three times I had to go back. I believe GM's standard warranty is 5 years, but check with your dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was having the disc error pop up but when GM plugged it into the computer no error message was coming up. After a little detective work I found out that the player doesn't play with TDK disks very well. It might play it once every 10-20 times. So I no longer use TDK disks. I wonder if I wait a while and bring in the player with a fault if I can get a free upgrade to the 2010 unit that has teh USB port!!!?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess I should try out my DVD and make sure it works. I doubt it will ever get used otherwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt they'd give you the 2010 model...they just replaced mine with the standard 2008 model. I like the way you think, though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 with nav. and an extended range remote. I thought the extended range remote was causing the problems until I started reading this post. I bought it in March of this year and just turned over 3000 miles. The DVD player has NEVER worked on all the DVD's mostly Disney for the grandkids. It seems that every time I use the extended range remote start the DVD player will NOT work. I turn off the car, take the key out and open the driver door. Then restart and insert the DVD, this used to work on first or second try but now I can't get it to work hardly ever. Running errands with the kids a few days ago, we tried 10 DVD's before we found one that would work. I went and bought brand new ones thinking that was the problem (scratches and dirt) but even the new ones will NOT work. I'm heading to the dealer as soon as possible. Has anyone else had the DVD player problem to be worse with the extended range remote start? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, I'll post a rant here regarding my DVD failure issues. Today I took the vehicle in for the 3rd replacement of the factory head unit since we purchased the vehicle in November 2007 (it's an 08 SLT2 with only 17K miles). Every time, a DVD has become stuck in the player and cannot be ejected and fails to play. The movies just stop playing and all of the DVD options dissapear. I am using regular old DVD's that are in excellent shape and are not scratched or broken. This problem has become a real sore spot for me and although they have always been replaced under warranty, I am worried what will happen when the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this exact same problem with my DVD player for my 2008 Acadia. It keeps saying "disc error". I'm going back for my 2nd time to the dealer tomorrow. They already replaced the unit once about a year ago for the same issue. It's starting to get really annoying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was just informed by the dealer that mine's a unit replacement to the tune of $886 since I'm out of warranty. This blows. At least, I've got the aux inputs and a portable DVD player I guess.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Ex-Magnum Guy said:
Was just informed by the dealer that mine's a unit replacement to the tune of $886 since I'm out of warranty. This blows. At least, I've got the aux inputs and a portable DVD player I guess.
How far out of warranty are you; what year is your Acadia. If you are close to the B2B; some dealers might "sympathy" replace the NAV unit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, they just called me back saying the factory would cover the parts (whew), but I won't hold my breath that this will be the end of it based upon this thread. It's an '08 w/ ~46k and a 36k/36mos warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Ex-Magnum Guy said:
Well, they just called me back saying the factory would cover the parts (whew), but I won't hold my breath that this will be the end of it based upon this thread. It's an '08 w/ ~46k and a 36k/36mos warranty.
Good to hear; I'm wondering if an extended warranty would cover the NAV unit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had the same error twice and replaced head unit twice in the two years I have owned the car. Seems to be fine now, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
Firts post for me. Got a 2010 slt, and already have disc error. Brought to dealer and they are replacing unit. I only have 1200 miles on truck. The dealer sprung for a portable to use in interum which kind of offsets the hassle. They are ordering a new one today, and will call to replace when it arrives. Not happy about the problem but I agree its really a supplier issue.

I will let you know wha happens with this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same disc error problem. Happens on 90% of the discs. Taking into dealer tomorrow. Just over 36k miles, but I will see what they will do as it has been happening for some time now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, I have 90,000 miles on mine so it's out of warranty. It seldom gets used only when the nieces or nephews are with me. Can't afford the 800+ to fix it, right now. so it will have to wait. :-\

1 - 20 of 20 Posts