GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only choose one because we are limiting ourselves on price. We are close to buying with a sunroof but can opt for the DVD instead. Any opinions?

TIA! I haven't been this excited about a new vehicle in a long time!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, I got both. I am not a sunroof fan but I do like having the extra light over the rear of the car. Seems to make it feel less like a cave back there with the dark windows. That said, I almost always have the sunroof screen shut. Still lets in some light though. As for DVD, it is fun if you have children. Obviously being the driver, it has been of no use to me. You do have the ability to plug in video cameras and video games if you want. I look at both as frills. If I had to choose one over the other I would pick the DVD as I am not a big sunroof fan and I like gadgets. Thats my 2 cents anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My kids want the DVD. I want the sunroof. I've never seen the dualscape before the Acadia, so I think it is way cool. But, each kiddo has a portable DVD because they can never agree on a movie anyway.

·
Registered
200 Posts
DVD gives you the option of Bose 5.1 surround sound. You don't have to watch movies to enjoy the sound, if you have music DVD or the new MVI (music video interactive) format discs.

The new Rush "Snakes and Arrows" was recently released in MVI format on DVD, with a dolby 5.1 treatment to the audio. This won't play in a regular CD player, but it does play in a DVD player or computer. There are many other examples of high end audio recordings on DVD as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
well you can allways add DVD yourself aftermarket. You cannot add sunroof on the other hand. That being said, DVD would probably be more usefull.

·
Registered
125 Posts
we had the exact same question and went with DVD. our kids are 3 1/2 and not quite born (due in 6 weeks) and I'd read in several places that having DVD for young kids was critical for parental sanity. The portable units are ok, especially if they can't agree on what to watch, but we didn't like the hassle of batteries, hanging cords, worse audio (not that those are big problems). I like sunroofs, but in our car I always have it closed. With the hot sun in the summer I'd read the sunroofs can let in a bit more heat. I'm hoping our decision was wise... ours hasn't been built so I may still change my order, but for now we're going DVD only.

I'm also not thrilled with the mesh only covering on the sunroofs (i need to be able to close it completely to block light and heat) and it doesn't open 100% like our car does (because of the rear one). That said, I think having dual sunroofs is really awesome and if I wasn't a cheapskate and if it had a solid covering option I probably would feel differently.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'd get both.... the sunroof just seems to add more airiness inside the car to me. i'm clostaphobic and i've been in the cars w/ and w/o the sunroofs and i wouldn't buy a car w/o a sunroof now :eek:hno: not ever again.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Neither...sunroof liner is not solid...still lets in a lot of heat and sun. DVD player = $150 at Wal*Fart for two screens that you mount on the back of the headrests, no issues backing up with the DVD interfering with the sight lines, etc. DVD and the $2250 price tag is a big waste of money in my opinion. If the sunroof had a better closure system, I might have gone that route, but opted for neither...

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
If you really want both but can only afford one (like us), get the sunroof and buy a portable DVD player. Like mentioned above, the portable DVD play will be a little more of a hassle with the wires, headphones, etc., but they are relatively cheap and you can take them from vehicle to vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion get the sunroof. You have some many other options with the DVD. You can get portable DVDs as everyone suggested. You can get a Dealer installed DVD either in the headrests or the ceiling and that usually cost less than the factory installed unit. If you have to pick one the best choice is the Sunroof imo.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, everyone. I did pick the sunroof. After reading the comments, I am a little nervous about the heat. But, I'm going to give it a go.

My kids are disappointed about the DVD but really excited about "their" sunroof.

I ultimately decided against the DVD after realizing that we will still have to carry the portables on trips to take in the hotel. That's enough t.v., IMO, not to warrant an additional one built-in.

Thanks so much for the advice. I should join you all as an Acadia owner some time today!

·
Registered
48 Posts
A dealer installed DVD system will soon be available that you can add later. This system will have a larger screen than the factory system and can be removed to use in locations other than the vehicle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The heat isn't an issue. I have driven through the Mojave desert over 4th of July weekend and it was 115 degrees and middle of the day with the sun directly overhead and I was perfectly comfortable cool inside and didn't even notice the sun above me coming through the shade.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Deanne .....I think you made a mistake on that one. The nirvana I have experienced having the kids with their wireless headsets on, sitting in the third row, while I quietly enjoy my xm makes me wonder why I resisted the dvd in the car for so long. But you picked a great color. Love the brown even though I have gold.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far, so good. I bought the two oldest headphones for the second row, and they can rock out to Hannah Montana while I listen to something else up front. :cheers:

·
Registered
497 Posts
We have both, and if we had to pick one, it would be the sunroof. We're not experiencing the "heat" issues described by some, and then it's a cool morning or evening, it's great to have open. Plus, we have dogs and it's essential for ventilation when they are in the car...on not to hot a day.

However, all the arguments for getting the Bose 5.1 are valid as well. Glad we have both, but won't use the DVD viewer much at all.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Get the sunroof. We did a dealer installed DVD/TV added on and you can't even tell. It would be a great Santa gift!

·
Registered
389 Posts
We are kind of considering the same thing. But, in Arizona, when it is DANG HOT I just think another window will just not be a good idea. It is "cool", but not that "cool" - may not be worth the trouble...since it only closes with a mesh sun shade. I WISH I could get the driver one without the big one though!!!

FWIW - our dealer we are talking with mostly orders without DVD systems and opts for less expensive and better after market systems. That is what we will probably do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
we had the same decision with two kids on our hands. we selfishly chose the sunroofs. :angel:
we have a dvd player mounted to the back of the headrest, works great. love the dual sunroofs! can't imagine not getting it without. Quite honestly, the kids have the home theater, and frankly, I don't think it's worth the extra money for the occasional roadtrips or trips to and from the playdate/school. They can deal! :D And the fact that it blocks the rear view was the last nail. Was a tough decision, but we opted to pass.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts