GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the salesperson that the Acadia did not have hands free technology. We opted out of getting the Nav because of Onstar. Did I make a mistake? Do you need Nav for hands free?

Also, my dealer is adding our dvd. It adds 2 inches to the TV screen. I have been a little edgy since they really know nothing about the Acadia. Has anyone done this? Do you still get the surround sound with it?

Thanks,
A Houstonian with no air conditioning in her Volvo!! :'(

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
When you say "hands-free" are you talking about the OnStar functions, such as phone calls and such? All OnStar "hands-free" functions work just fine without the NAV.

I'll be very interested to hear how that dealer added DVD works out. I think you'll be the first to have it done on here.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
mckcab said:
I was told by the salesperson that the Acadia did not have hands free technology. We opted out of getting the Nav because of Onstar. Did I make a mistake? Do you need Nav for hands free?

Also, my dealer is adding our dvd. It adds 2 inches to the TV screen. I have been a little edgy since they really know nothing about the Acadia. Has anyone done this? Do you still get the surround sound with it?

Thanks,
With the NAV you have hands free to change radio stations, inputs and pick a destination point.

Radio Select 94.3 FM. Reppeats it and changes the channel.

Radio Select Front Aux. Repeats and changes the input.

Destination Select Home. As long as its programmed it will select the destination home and start your guidance.

As for the surround sound, unless you get the factory DVD you will not have Bose 5.1 surround sound in your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I have to admit I'm a little crazy. I ordered my Acadia two weeks ago. Do you recommend letting GM put my DVD in, or do you think the dealer install will be OK? My kids jumped at the chance to add two inches, but after reading some of these postings, I'm afraid the dealer doesn't have a clue and it won't fit between the two sunroofs.

I was afarid the Nav and On Star would duplicate each other and wouldn't be worth the cost. Does anyone have an opinion on that ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mckcab said:

Thanks,
mckcab--

The dealer is installing our dvd player as well.....its an audiovox overhead built-in dvd player, salesperson said its 7.5" (i think the factory installed is 7.0").....so i guess the 0.5" difference in the diagonal equates to about 2 square inches of additional viewing area

with dealer installed dvd....get to keep slt-1 std option of 6-cd changer upfront.....and can listen to cds while others watch dvd with headphones

as for surround sound....just assumed dvd audio was surround sound....never asked.....i also assumed that it comes with 2 ir wireless headphones and a remote control.......guess i better follow-up

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
According to Edmunds.com (and several reviews) the DVD display is 8 inches, not 7. GMC.com makes no mention of the screen size. Where have you guys seen it listed as a 7 inch screen? (I believe I saw that the NAV screen in the dash is 7 inches - I wonder if this is the source of confusion?)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer told us. Of course you really don't get a chance to "play" with the demo so I am not 100% positive. The saleswoman called the installation department and asked about the bigger screen. She's the one that said it was two inches bigger and came in at 9 inches. Again I say, they know NOTHING about the Acadia. I'm the one that told her about the crash ratings and some of the neat compartments. (We saw the car at the auto show and I fell in love, even though I had sworn off American cars)

If that's the case and it is bigger, do you think the 10 inch screen will fit? After weeks of waiting, I don't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
admin said:
According to Edmunds.com (and several reviews) the DVD display is 8 inches, not 7. GMC.com makes no mention of the screen size. Where have you guys seen it listed as a 7 inch screen? (I believe I saw that the NAV screen in the dash is 7 inches - I wonder if this is the source of confusion?)
The DVD screen in the second row is 7 inches. I found it on our dealer's webpage

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
doglover - I'm not entirely sure I trust your dealer more than Edmunds. They generally don't get many details wrong, while dealers get things wrong more often than they get them right in my experience. Not that it matters much, but if someone were paying to have a dealer installed 7.5" screen and the standard is actually 8 inches, that would be good for them to know. Maybe someone can measure their dvd screen (diagonally) and end the debate? If someone hasn't by this evening, I'll do ours at home.

·
Registered
48 Posts
admin said:
doglover - I'm not entirely sure I trust your dealer more than Edmunds. They generally don't get many details wrong, while dealers get things wrong more often than they get them right in my experience. Not that it matters much, but if someone were paying to have a dealer installed 7.5" screen and the standard is actually 8 inches, that would be good for them to know. Maybe someone can measure their dvd screen (diagonally) and end the debate? If someone hasn't by this evening, I'll do ours at home.
I think admin may have a point about not trusting the dealer and instead someone just measuring the diagonal on the factory installed system and reporting back....the reason why is as follows:

Spoke with with dealer to confirm a few items about my dealer installed dvd player:

1. It is an audiovox built-in dvd player, but the size (diagonal) is 7.0" not the 7.5" i was originally told....asked dealer what was the size of the factory installed dvd play and he said 7.0" with some hesitation... ???

2. The audiovox system does play in surround sound via a 3 Frequency FM Modulator (plays through one of three FM stations).....i guess everyone better confirm with there dealer to see if this is the case for their dealer installed system

3. The audiovox system includes a remote and two wireless headphones

The dealer i am working with appears to be trustworthy, but i just don't think they are not paying attention to the details as close as us..... ;)....so trust but verify

For those getting larger dealer installed screens....larger than 7.0" on the diagonal....is there any major issue with being able see out of the back window?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue, I got an slt2 with the full package to find out later that the entertainment was not installed.
The dealer installed a built in player with 8.5 inches that included 30 pre-installed video games, wireless control, remote control and 2 ir headphones.

·
Registered
194 Posts
admin said:
If I had my acadia, I could measure it, but I don't. Too bad! :(

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frankp-
How does your dvd work? Do you like it? Do you have any problem with visibility? And one last question- Does it "look" installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I have another question. I just called my dealer to get my "status number". Thanks for letting us know about that. My car was ordered less than 2 weeks ago and they said it will be in the building phase by early next week. In other words, my SL-2 will be in early (I'll believe it when I see it). They said it was because they "put my name on it" and that moves my order up above everyone elses. Has anyone heard of this? She said most dealers don't do this because if I were to walk, they could still sell it, but it wouldn't count towards their sales for the month. If this is true, people might want to check into it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
doglover931500 said:
admin said:
The DVD screen in the second row is 7 inches. I found it on our dealer's webpage
The Rear-Seat DVD Entertainment screen that is factory installed with the sunroof is an 8" screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
underdog said:
doglover931500 said:
admin said:
The Rear-Seat DVD Entertainment screen that is factory installed with the sunroof is an 8" screen.

Thanks...did you actually measure it?

Is the display 16:9 or 4:3 or can you switch between both....

Gotta call my dealer and tell him he owes me a system with a monitor that's an inch longer....this time i'm gonna get the model number on the dealer install...so i can see it on line myself.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I measured ours tonight (non sunroof version - they're the same screens). It is indeed an 8 inch screen. It's 16:9 btw, optionstrail, but I'm not sure if it has a 4:3 mode (vertical black bars) - when we pop in a normal mode dora DVD, it should stretches it to full screen and obviously widescreen movies p[lay at their correct aspect ratio.

·
Registered
48 Posts
admin said:
I measured ours tonight (non sunroof version - they're the same screens). It is indeed an 8 inch screen. It's 16:9 btw, optionstrail, but I'm not sure if it has a 4:3 mode (vertical black bars) - when we pop in a normal mode dora DVD, it should stretches it to full screen and obviously widescreen movies p[lay at their correct aspect ratio.
Spoke with the dealer, here is the dvd system that the dealer will install....Advent (division of audiovox) ADV8SR.....8-inch dropdown model with built-in DVD player....designed specifically for small vehicles and for SUVs / crossover vehicles and minivans with sunroofs so consumers can have an overhead system without ‘filling up’ the roof area of their vehicle....MSRP $1,099

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=15556&langId=-1

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I would get the integrated version GMC offers.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I suppose if you change your mind after you purchase, or if they had the perfect acadia except for the DVD, this might suffice, but unless you're saving a TON of money, I'm not sure why you'd want to go aftermarket, especially for the same size screen. I'm guessing if you get much bigger, it will start seriously impeding your view out the back. And although I've never heard it for a movie, most FM modulators I've used for audio are lousy. The 5.1 surround sound built into the factory installed one is AWESOME. From the 2nd row, it sounds fantastic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts