GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tested the DVD entertainment system yet? I ordered my new Acadia SLT-1 on February first (in Boise ID) with the DVD Entertainment system. My only question is can you utilize the Aux or radio feature while the kids are watching a DVD? Or does the DVD take over the entire system? Really like the thought of the kids watching the movie with headphones on... but would like to still listen to my Ipod over the stereo system.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Up to 3 sources: one in one set of headphones, a second source in the second set of headphones (but one headphone source is always DVD and a third source through main speakers!

Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Yeah, the DVD Ent system is pretty sweet. I finally climbed in the back with my 2 year old a few days ago and watched some of The Little Mermaid with her. The 5.1 Surround ROCKS! It's like being in my home theater!

·
Registered
215 Posts
SAF_ALG said:
Anyone with small kids should consider the DVD, it is worth the 1200.00 and is even a pretty decent unit too.
it paid for itself on the way home from the Philly auto show last week. Our 15 month old was past his nap time and 4 year old had a tummy ache. put a spider-man cartoon on (I love how my boys are watching late 60's cartoon that I watched as a kid!) and they were mesmerized for the whole ride!

If I never use it again (not a chance), I got my money's worth :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is sooooo worth it with kids. As a mother of 3 I can verify there is nothing better on a log trip. We had a DVD in our Montana and it has been a life saver (my kids that is - kept me from killing them!!) on our long trips to Florida, Michigan and everywhere in between. And remember - you can set the rules. If you don't want them watching a DVD around town - don't put one in....

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
It's a great option but it forced me to spend another $250.

I bought a TIVO with a DVD recorder in it so I can copy those Backyardigans episodes from TIVO to DVD's for the rode.

Never stops.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'm starting the process of recording Tivo shows to the Camcorder, then camcorder into the PC to edit and burn to DVDs. It'll be a pain, but better than buying another tivo (we have 3 as is - and they are directv versions)

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
admin said:
I'm starting the process of recording Tivo shows to the Camcorder, then camcorder into the PC to edit and burn to DVDs. It'll be a pain, but better than buying another tivo (we have 3 as is - and they are directv versions)
I just switche dover from DTV to Cable when I got my HD.

I can't stand the software now since they got rid of TIVO.

Can you explain, on her eor in a PM, how you transfer of a DTV TIVO unit. Would be quite interested.

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is there a way to hookup your iPOD video with Acadia's sound system and watch videos stored on the iPOD on to the entertainment system's screen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
coopermine said:
Is there a way to hookup your iPOD video with Acadia's sound system and watch videos stored on the iPOD on to the entertainment system's screen?
Yes, you should be able to plug the ipod video into the 2nd row AV inputs and watch it on the DVD screen (with the proper cables). Same thing applies to using a playstation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a way to direct more of the center channel or voice of a movie to the rear? We have to turn up the volume for the kids to hear voice channel in the back. This was noticeable on the Incredibles DVD.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
There's a documented issue with some DVDS (you can find it in the problems and fixes board). Basically, when you are playing a DVD and turn off the car (to go into a store, for example), then start the car again so that the movie continues to play, it sometimes "loses" the center channel. More appropriately, it goes only to the headphones. The quick fix (until a permanent upgrade/fix is found by Panasonic) is to reach back to the rear audio controls (between the front seats) and cycle the rear audio power on, then off. This will instantly restore full audio to the main cabin speakers.

I'm guessing this is what you are experiencing, as opposed to too little center channel from the onset.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If could ask a question about the playing a DVD for my daughter in rear, while listening to the XM radio as I drive.

I did read the manual (I read a little each day, man, a lot to learn with this car!). And, I did a search on this forum to learn from past posts, but I still have a couple questions.

It seems, that only if the wireless headphones are turned on while my daughter watches a DVD, I am able to hit the source button up front, to change over to XM radio for me, in the front. This seems to work but I want to make sure I did it properly. If so, do the rear audio controls need to be on via the small control panel between the two front seats? I wasn't sure. She won't be using them as they is only 3 1/2. Also, can I just hit the source button back to DVD when I need to stop, fast forward etc., the DVD player?

Are these the correct and most efficient ways of controlling these feature? The manual was just a little vague on certain issues!

I appreciate any help. Etgus

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Etgus - The wireless headphones have a red on/off button on them. If you use that to turn on the headphones, the rear audio controls don't need to be touched. They really only need to be turned on to 1) allow rear passengers to change sources, or 2) to power WIRED headphones that you plug in back there.

As for your other question, you're exactly right. You simply switch your cabin source back to DVD, so that it's coming through the speakers as well as the headphones, then you can control it up front. BTW, something that wasn't immediately clear to us, but quite useful - the steering wheel controls normally for changing presets works as a chapter BACK/FWD - perfect for skipping those previews that come on children's DVDs before the menu pops up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thank you Admin! Right on! Enjoying the car immensely! Will be one week on Wednesday! Haven't found any glitches...yet!

·
Registered
116 Posts
admin said:
BTW, something that wasn't immediately clear to us, but quite useful - the steering wheel controls normally for changing presets works as a chapter BACK/FWD - perfect for skipping those previews that come on children's DVDs before the menu pops up.
Admin - thanks so much for this info! I've had my Acadia since 3/20 and had no idea that you could do this! I tried it out on Sunday and it worked perfectly. Before, I just sat in park and skipped through the previews on the Nav screen.

I love this forum! Even after I thought I learned it all, I learn something new! :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts