GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I can find a local key / locksmith who can duplicate the original key, do I need anything else?

I like to carry around an extra key to my wife's car (the 2009 Enclave) but prefer the regular metal key vs the plastic end original key.

The key does not appear to have any 'smarts' or 'intelligence' is this true?
Intermitantly, I need to pickup the car and drive home without her.

-gschlact

·
Registered
164 Posts
gschlact said:
If I can find a local key / locksmith who can duplicate the original key, do I need anything else?

I like to carry around an extra key to my wife's car (the 2009 Enclave) but prefer the regular metal key vs the plastic end original key.

The key does not appear to have any 'smarts' or 'intelligence' is this true?
Intermitantly, I need to pickup the car and drive home without her.

-gschlact
When I got my Acadia I had the dealership give me an extra key. It had the Pontiac logo on it buy they stuck it in the ignition to program itself and it worked fine the few times I ever used it. And it was free.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
copperbeech said:
For sure these keys have a "chip" in them. Extras/replacements are expensive and most easily done at the dealership.
After looking at my Acadia key I don't see where GM could hide some transmitter/receiver for the ignition system, but then again I really have no idea. My Taurus key is chipped and the car will only start if one of the two keys is used; it has something to do with the passive theft system

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Page 2-3 of the 2008 Owner's Manual says this:
The key can be used for the ignition and all door locks.
The key has a bar-coded key tag that the dealer/retailer or qualified locksmith can use to make new keys.
Store this information in a safe place, not in your vehicle.

The Acadia keys use Pass-Key 3 security, which is a radio frequency system. Duplicate keys are usually pretty expensive.

See also pages 2-23 and 2-24 for lots of additional Pass-Key 3 and key duplication info- too lengthy to post here.
Relevant portion:
It is possible for the PASS-Key® III+ decoder to learn the transponder value of a new or replacement key. Up to 10 keys may be programmed to the vehicle.

You can program a new key yourself (page 2-24) so long as you have an original programmed key.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Page 2-3 of the 2008 Owner's Manual says this:
The key can be used for the ignition and all door locks.
The key has a bar-coded key tag that the dealer/retailer or qualified locksmith can use to make new keys.
Store this information in a safe place, not in your vehicle.

The Acadia keys use Pass-Key 3 security, which is a radio frequency system. Duplicate keys are usually pretty expensive.

See also pages 2-23 and 2-24 for lots of additional Pass-Key 3 and key duplication info- too lengthy to post here.
Relevant portion:
It is possible for the PASS-Key® III+ decoder to learn the transponder value of a new or replacement key. Up to 10 keys may be programmed to the vehicle.

You can program a new key yourself (page 2-24) so long as you have an original programmed key.
Show off...........reading the manual; who would have thought ;D I am as guilty as the next guy.........point taken

After reading my online manual; I can only reprogram 9 keys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see on ebay that you can buy a blank key for GM 2007-2008.

Two questions...
1. do we assume it will also work for 2009's
2. Are there recommendations forwhere to actually then get the key cutting done? Can anyplace do it as long as I have an original?

gschlact

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
gschlact said:
I see on ebay that you can buy a blank key for GM 2007-2008.

Two questions...
1. Do we assume it will also work for 2009's
2. Are there recommendations for where to actually then get the key cutting done? Can anyplace do it as long as I have an original?

gschlact
1. Easiest thing to do is what I did... look in the 2009 owner's manual. I don't have one handy right now, but it's probably in the same chapter (2) as I noted for the 2008 model.
2. I'd suggest a dealer or locksmith (a more specialized type of shop that will guarantee the job). Call first & see if they will cut your blank or if you have to buy one from them. If none will use your blank, you'd be stuck with a hardware or discount type of store.

We bought a set of transponder blanks elsewhere for our 2001 Durango and a smaller dealer cut them for us w/ no problem. The parts guy even suggested we do that since the factory key was so expensive.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So you buy a blank key; have it cut to the original and then have it matched to your Acadia? So I'm guessing that's a trip to the dealer to have the key mated to your vehicle?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Had mine done at the locksmiths in town right down the block from GMC for half the price. Only bad thing is the key has a CH*vy emblem on it :banghead:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but was searching for an answer when I ran across this topic. I bought a key fob and blank key for my 2010 Acadia SLT2 from ebay. Fob programmed easily and quickly. My husband took the key to the hardware store to get it cut and they said they could cut it but didn't know for sure what "cartridge" to use since they don't normally cut auto keys. Anybody have a clue what he is talking about? We are from a small town and don't have a lot of options where key cutting is concerned.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
the cartridge is probably for the key cutting machine.

Call Home Depot if you have one nearby- they may be able to cut the key- as they have the machines in store. (though they may have the same issue)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Leesa1024 said:
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but was searching for an answer when I ran across this topic. I bought a key fob and blank key for my 2010 Acadia SLT2 from ebay. Fob programmed easily and quickly. My husband took the key to the hardware store to get it cut and they said they could cut it but didn't know for sure what "cartridge" to use since they don't normally cut auto keys. Anybody have a clue what he is talking about? We are from a small town and don't have a lot of options where key cutting is concerned.
Cartridge A. (Axxess+ machine (most prevalent machine to date))

Tell them it's the same cartridge for all other double cut gm keys.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The "cartridge" he is referring to is probably the chip that allows the metal key to start the vehicle. That is the expensive part.

George

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had to do my wife's key twice - I lost her (my set) keys, and purchased a blank and FOB from ebay. I took it to Ace HW to cut. They wouldn't guarantee the key, but I followed the directions in the owners manual, and the key works fine ($5 for Key, $1.98 cutting charge). My wife thought she lost her set of keys, so I purchased from ebay again (2 keys this time). I had an extra FOB already programmed, so I didn't need to buy one. Walmart wouldn't cut the key - they needed a cartridge to cut the key. I went to Menards, and they had the older machines that have the keys side-by-side - blank on one side, and original next to it. It cost $4.00 to cut the 2 keys ($5 for the 2 blanks).

Just make sure your key blank has a + mark on the key, if the original has it. The + signifies the key has a chip/resistor in it.

Shouldn't cost ~$70 at the stealership.

-Bill

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I lost a key to my Sierra, but I had an extra fob for my Acadia. I bought the Sierra key from the dealership and had it learned along with my spare fob. The key and programming cost a whooping $30.00 What is the issue? Cutting a key is $12.00 all by itself from Home Depot, and you have to still purchase the key and get it learned... why not just purchase the ready made key from the dealership?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got my extra key from here: http://www.bestbuyremotes.net/2007-2014-Acadia-Blank-Ignition-Key-Circle-Plus-p/gmc-1046.htm

You can cut it at most hardware or auto parts stores. Then you need to program the immobilizer chip yourself and avoid a trip to a dealer.

Here is how to do it:

Using your original key turn the ignition (do not start the car)
Turn Off the ignition and remove the original key.
Within 10 seconds insert the newly cut key and turn the ignition On.
Turn off the ignition.

Your newly cut key is programmed now for your own car.
:thumb:

·
Registered
655 Posts
These keys are not available at any hardware store. I tried all over the local area and came up empty handed. I wanted just a spare in case I lose one of mine. I only have two keys and two fobs. I wanted a "hide-a-key" on mine. So i ordered a blank on ebay, brought into a key cutting place and they reluctantly cut it as they said, "that people have been locked out of their vehicles because the key doesn't match the computer - blah blah bla"

Anyways, Long story short, bought $9 key ebay, cut key $4 , use in door, unlocks door. Done. for less than the $63 the local dealer wanted for another key!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Ive been meaning to buy a hide a key.... for the hitch receiver.

Sometimes ill go out running-- and dont take a key- all doors/gates locked--- and I find myself yelling into the window

OPEN THE DOOOOORRRRR!!!!!

This way- I can go and remove the key from the hitch and get inside..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts