GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my Acaida a couple weeks ago with sunroof and DVD. I have been doing a lot of reading and I am gathering that there is less headroom when you get both options. Is it really noticable? I never test drove one with both options, only the sunroofs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
pixiestix said:
I just ordered my Acaida a couple weeks ago with sunroof and DVD. I have been doing a lot of reading and I am gathering that there is less headroom when you get both options. Is it really noticable? I never test drove one with both options, only the sunroofs.
I don't have DVD but I do have the sunroof and there is plenty (I'm 6'2") of headroom.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would venture to guess that it is less of an issue of headroom but more of reduced visibility out the rear window just because the headliner is a bit lower, thus making the DVD lower and obstructing more view from the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Mama2girls said:
I would venture to guess that it is less of an issue of headroom but more of reduced visibility out the rear window just because the headliner is a bit lower, thus making the DVD lower and obstructing more view from the rear view mirror.
The only thing that blocks(impairs) visibility is the DVD screen itself. The difference in drop of the headliner with moonroof or not I don;t think would be noticeable to the naked eye.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not an issue, I have had mine for a while. :beer:

·
Registered
389 Posts
That is what I meant - the DVD screen. I think the headliner, if I remember correctly from measuring at the dealer, is about 2" lower in places with the sunroofs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am 6 feet tall and have tons of headroom in both front and rear seats. The headliner does not seem low at all to me. I have had problems in other cars with my head touching the ceiling, not the Acadia

·
Registered
389 Posts
I posted this on another thread but thought it could be of value here.

My husband said he still has the hang up about rear visibility with the DVD player and he wanted to see how it was in the Odyssey. Had my sister been in town, we would have just gone to her house for him to sit in it. We decided to stop by Honda on the way to GMC and just check the sight line without driving one. Some how, we went into the showroom, sat in the Odyssey, checked the sight line, (which, FWIW, does not obscure the rear visibility at all) my kids climbed in and out, and we were never approached by a salesperson. We left without even a glance in our direction.

We then headed over to the GMC dealer. They had closed at 7pm. Doh! But, what was promising, they had parked out front two SLT's with factory DVD systems - one with a sun roof, one not. This was unusual because this dealer likes to put in after market systems, which we don't want. From a visual inspection, the DVD seems to hang at least 2" lower in the sunroof version due to the lower headliner as suspected. We will go tomorrow and finally get to see if my husband's big hang up about the visibility can be put to rest.

I spent a lot of time studying the headliner shape and contours - with the sunroof - you have more openness/tallness from the front sunroof itself but it does curve down elsewhere. It isn't necessarily lower everywhere, but, where it counts, it is lower at the place where the DVD unit is installed.

My husband is adamant that we will not buy a $37,000 blind spot. Now, I don't mind a little bit, but, when I drove one with sunroof and DVD, it really concealed 1/3 - 1/2 of our views. My friend has a Suburban with an aftermarket DVD and it is HUGE - laptop size. I don't know how people find that much of an obstruction of view acceptable. We do not want after market systems for various reasons (other threads devoted to that topic!)

Good luck - we will hopefully have a good answer tomorrow.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is the blind spot only a problem when the screen is down? What is the difference between the screen being down and a tall passenger blocking the view? I pull a boat a lot and I'm used to the view being blocked so using the side mirrors just seems normal. I don't think it would bother me if the blockage wasn't full time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yup - only when the screen is down. Husband said he doesn't think tall passengers are a problem since our kids are pipsqueaks and we don't often take adults places with us. And, with captains instead of a bench, and the narrow center seat in the 3rd row, we will probably not have anything too tall as far as passengers in the center rear view. It is just different when it is a fixed object (though I know it is not truly fixed and can be put away and will be away most of the time). If we just start thinking about a road trip, loaded to the hilt behind the 3rd row, combined with the DVD screen, then the rear view is shot. I know there are side view mirrors and I totally appreciate being able to use them. This is mostly my husband's hang up. But, he is the one paying for it.

I am just hoping it is somewhat close to the pictures that Admin posted - which barely dips into the rear view. That would be acceptable to me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I found the house...but we looked at it three times over a couple of weeks!! We have been here for 5 years. It is time to move - I feel the walls are closing in on me some days - but selling right now? A joke. I have actually found the house I want to build if we can ever sell. He likes it. it is perfect. then my sister saw it and wants to build it too, though our husbands are not too fond of the idea of living next door to each other. It's a sister thing. But then again, we are always scheming to go back to Oregon!

BBC, (that's Big Bear Craig to you), this is a lot of money. We don't take spending it lightly. I can't really afford to make a mistake and have buyer's remorse. Sure, I could go and buy an Odyssey right now (on clearance in fact) and it would meet our needs and the DVD would not obscure the rear view, for that matter, but we can all tell where my heart is, right?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Don't take me seriously. I think you two are funny and very smart. I don't admire people who foolishly throw money around. Very few wealthy people got that way by treating money with disregard. Take your time and do what is right for you and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had the same concerns. The dvd player sits pretty low with the sunroof. My wife is only 5' 2" and she did not like it. Not only did it block the view in general, but the rear parking sensor was completely obscured. In the end we decided one or the other, and got the DVD and no sunroof.

·
Registered
389 Posts
FINALLY we did go and drive a DVD no sunroof Acadia last night. We decided it was acceptable - maybe covered the top 1/7th of the window view for me. A bit more for my husband. But, he said it was fine. And Admin's pictures are quite accurate if anyone is curious.

And BBC, it is all good!!!! I appreciate your humor and sincerity! We are terrible at making decisions - sometimes I wish we could just be impulsive. We usually end up planning all our vacations at the very last minute because we can't decide on where to go or for how long or how to get there!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mama2girls, I probably shouldn't tell you that while my wife knew I had been out looking at CUV's for several weekends, she was surprised when I called her from the dealership to tell her I'd be late for dinner since they were still washing the Acadia. She is used to my implusivity, and luckily she loves it.

We put some miles on over the weekend visiting my parents and her mom, and enjoyed some comedy on the XM while the kids watched some videos. Love this car! :cheers: Erik

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm glad you were able to rectify the DVD question and it doesn't block your husbands view too much. Anyway who cares what's behind them. The only thing I would be concerned with is if there's a cop behind me and that's what sirens are for, right?

·
Registered
362 Posts
If they are laying spike-strips on the road in front of you, you may want to pay a little more attention to what is behind you...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts